Communal Dishes

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jan 2008 4:27 PM by eilben Star rating in Chesterfield/Santiag.... 101 posts Send private message

Hi Mark

We are on the same development as Gina. We have 2 aerial sockets, one terrestrial, one sky. We have only used the terrestrial one so far & have not yet subscribed to sky as we are not keen on paying a monthly fee when we are not in Spain full time. We plan to look into thre sky card you have talked about, so would be interested to know how it worked out it over xmas? Did you use the normal ariel socket?

We plan to really find out how the TV works & set up the DVD on our visit next week then consider sky later.

Thanks to everyone who has posted info on this issue, had no idea Sky was not legal in Spain (or have I misunderstood?)

Eileen

Like 0      
04 Jan 2008 4:52 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I assume you have the double socket, one for TV and one for satellite? If so, there is (apparently) normally nothing attached to the socket on the other side!! The installers told us that it is only really a feed for radio anyway. As we are top floor, the installation was easy with the cable coming down the front and in through the normal ducting for the apartment and the other end of the cable coming in through a blank socket in the wall (happily next to the TV ).

To receive UK television, you will need a box of some kind. It doesn't have to be Sky, but capable of picking up the Astra range of satellites. You can then pick up BBC1, BBC2, ITV 1, ITV 2, ITV 3, BBC Three, BBC Four and others as they are free to air. To receive the other channels, Channel 4, Channel 5 which are free to view and some of the Sky channels however, you will need a box capable of accepting and decoding the Sky card.

We couldn't get installed before Christmas unfortunately, so had to make do with BBC World News and my Son's PS2 .

When you buy your Sky card, the terms and conditions state many times that it can only be used within the UK. You will need to activate the card in a box in the UK before taking it to Spain unless you withold your number when ringing and can give a UK address. Wherever the card is registered/ activated will depend on what region of BBC and ITV you get as a default (although all of the BBC regions are available separately in the planner). You cannot pay a monthly subscription for Sky from a Spanish bank account, although you can continue to pay it from a UK bank as Sky do not officially have a remit to broadcast outside of the UK. Watching Sky in Spain is a bit like listening to Radio Caroline all those years ago  .

The other minor problem is that after a power cut of any kind, you need to set the digibox to look in the right direction for the satellite, but that only takes seconds.

We got all the channels we expected, except for Channel 4, but Channel 4+1 was able to be received.

As the dish had already been purchased by someone else, it was just a case of hooking in another feed as most dishes allow four connections to them, the 8 connectors are not very reliable apparently. Protocol says that you approach the person that owns the dish and pay them some money for your connection (around 50- 100€), but as yet, we haven't been able to find who owns the dish we plugged into. the installer left a tag on the cable giving our contact details if anyone needed to know. To run a cable from dish to box cost 60€ and the job was done in less than an hour.

HTH

Mark

Like 0      
05 Jan 2008 12:27 PM by eilben Star rating in Chesterfield/Santiag.... 101 posts Send private message

Thanks Mark

We do have a double socket & have already used the TV socket to link up, had no problems in getting Spanish channels - good way to learn Spanish  From what I have picked up from those who have installed satellite, there is a link behind a panel in the kitchen. We shall investigate further tomorrow when we fly out.

Thanks again for your help.

Eilen

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 2:25 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

some of you may be interested to know that you can now get sky tv in Spain LEGALLY.

Your standard UK sky digibox will work here and you can get the full packages avaliable in the UK.

Sky Plus and HD are also avaliable.

Unfortunately as usual there is a catch,you have to pay UK prices for the Packages!!!!!

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 2:31 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

My standard 10 year old Panasonic digibox works fine in Almeria .

Has something changed with Sky's broadcasting license then? It has always been available in Spain but the viewing cards have had to be registered to a UK address. The Sky shop down the road in Puerto Rey (very expensive) were selling HD, but don't forget, Sky+ needs two feeds from the dish to work correctly i.e watch one and record another. If all four feeds are used up, you have wasted your money as you will only be able to record the channel you are watching.

Mark

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 2:43 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

We had a guy in the shop yesterday who was an agent for Astrosat(German company).

He assured me that you can get it all and have your card registered to you spanish address.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2008 11:45 AM by timba Star rating in Cardiff and Rocas de.... 27 posts Send private message

Hi

Like others I have been told that Sky is not authorised for official use in Spain, yet you can use a digibox and card if it is registered to a UK address.  But obviously that can become messy if you have any problems.

Can anyone clarify the current situation as I am intending to fit a dish and take my digibox to the house in March.  or indeed what is the best set up for TV in Spain.  Many thanks

Tim

Like 0      
24 Feb 2008 12:05 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I was out in Spain the other week and was listening to Mojacar FM. There is a well known satellite installer/ provider in the locality that advertises himself as a Sky approved installer. I am sorry, but that is a bit of a grey area. He may well have been a Sky installer in the UK, but there is no such thing in Spain as it is out of their jurisdiction. Yes, you can use any satellite decoder to receive the free channels from any of the Astra satellites, but not officially to receive any encoded Sky signals. This well known installer provides cards "officially" for customers that are registered to a UK address. If it was okay to have them registered in Spain, surely that is where they would be registered? Someone on our resort that paid subs by credit card had his subscription cancelled because his credit card expired. Instead of contacting the person for his new card details, he was told it would cost €250 to reinstate as the card was abroad and it would have to be sent back to the UK for re- activation.

A question asked on the Sky customer service website:

You said:  can sky be used in spain?
Sky says: Sky TV is only available to residents of the UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
A fairly definitive no then I think, although as with anything, there is a way around it. We bought our Freesat card card from Sky, registered it in the Uk and it works happily in Spain. If you want the non subscription channels, you won't even need the card soon as Channel 4 and Channel 5 are said to be moving from free to view to free to air, which means they will no longer be encrypted. Also, the Sky card is used to regionalise your BBC and ITV channels. If you have no card, the box will default to BBC London and ITV Central (I think), whereas we have BBC Yorkshire ad ITV Yorkshire as that is where te card was activated.
There are quite a lot of questions about Sky overseas on this forum, it makes for some interesting reading.
Mark

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 5:44 PM by rapp Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

We will be taking over our South facing holiday home Town House, approximately 100 kms north of Malaga in June/July this year.  We have a spare sky box, a
LNB, a 80cms dish and a satellite finder.

Will my 80 cm dish be large enough to get a signal?   Do I bring a TV  out from England which is course on the Pal system, or do I buy in Spain?  

Can we watch Spanish TV, a good way to learn the language and also watch Sky TV through the same aerial and TV set? 

The Developers specification states wired for satellite TV in lounge and master bedroom.  We use an electronic radio/tv transmission unit to send programs from our lounge to our bedroom TV at home

How much does it cost  to get a sky viewing card for  use in Spain?

Can I use Sky broad band in Spain provided I pay for this service in England and I take my UK viewing card out from England  when on holiday?

The local Council appear to be quite fussy, am I likely experience problems from them when installing my dish?

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 8:24 AM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar
Can anyone clarify as long as you have paid for the connection on a communal Astra satellite you can still pick up the free to air channels without the need for a digibox. Also is the Channel 4 and 5 to be added soon I have read this somewhere.

Many thanks

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 1:27 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
If you are connecting to a dish, you will need a receiver of some sort, you cannot plug it into the back of your TV. Any satellite decoder will do, doesn't have to be a Sky box, you just need to ensure your boox is looking for the correct frequency.

At the moment, you need a Sky card to decode C4 and C5 as they are free to view, but not free to air. Some time later this year, it is said they will become available to view free to air, therefore no card required.

Mark

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 1:40 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
Mark

We have got Sky Freeview in SPain & don't have a card or any type of subscription but we can get Channel 4.

It is not on the usual list of channels but the installation guys talked us through how to access it. Can't remember offhand how to do it but if I think of it next weekend, I will look up the instructions & let you know.

Regards

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 1:46 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
We can't get C4 up at Resort even with a card, but we can get C4+1!!! How odd is that .

Mark

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 4:32 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
How to get Channel 4 with out a sky card.

If you can receive E4 and More4 then you can follow this procedure and get C4 on a KSy box with out using a Sky Card

Services
V
5/6
Find Channels
Navigate to 8350 and press Yellow (should put a tick next to the channel)
Press Select

You have now added C4 to your OTHER CHANNELS lists available via the services button
Any C4 or C4+1 using skys channels number (104, 135,993 or 994) still require a Sky catrd to view. This "secret" C4 is the channel used by the new Freesat recivers - who currently do not have access to a C4+1 or C4HD as these are still bound by the C4 / Sky contract
Note there is no EPG programme info, and again only available if you can get E4.

Hope this helps

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 6/6/2008.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 4:48 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
That's handy to know, thanks very much.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 5:06 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
and if you can get C4+1, but not E4, you can get your Big Brother live streaming by

services, 
frequency 12480 v 27.5 2/3 

and store channel 12005 - which will be available by the other channels options.

this is the E4 "red button" feed - that you can only normally access via E4

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 5:20 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh Big Brother .

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 10:22 PM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar
Thanks for info everyone it helps a lot.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2008 7:02 PM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar
Hi Everyone

This question has been asked many times and I am still confused.

I have decided to purchase a Pace DS445n Sky receiver and I notice that there is a 'UK ' only model and a 'Unsubsidised' version which is about £50.00 more expensive.which is meant to be used abroad. Will the 'UK only' model work in Spain whether or not I activate the viewing card? 

And are the satellite connections in Spain the same? 

Many thanks

Paul

Like 0      
09 Jun 2008 7:08 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I would imagine that it will be okay to use but am not certain. Ask the shop if you are able to manually change the frequency. If it is Sky branded (no matter what make), it is supposedly only any good in the UK, but will work outside the boundaries.You can pick up 2nd hand Sky boxes dirt cheap on  places like eBay (always worth a punt).

Connections to the back of the box are generally the same, a connector screwed to a piece of coax which is then inserted to the box.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Introduction. - 1 posts
Restaurants close to La Torre - 7 posts
GB Airways - 0 posts
Selling off plan tax?? - 3 posts
Secluded villa wanted for photo shoot....... - 2 posts
Question about Lo crispin. - 8 posts
general information - 5 posts
Hi everyone - 3 posts
english radio stations - 12 posts
Watchdog??? - 8 posts
Orihuela Costa - Development Hell - 6 posts
Road directions - 6 posts
Bank Guarantee - 0 posts
music - 2 posts
Problems with Spanish Lawyer - 4 posts
Taking everything - 8 posts
Soneyia - 3 posts
Question ( s ) of the day...........again. - 3 posts
Which mortgage conditions to chose - 21 posts
Can nigerians buy in spain? - 2 posts
lifts - 17 posts
Rights when left with Furniture Pack on Non Completion - 1 posts
Electronics - 0 posts
Acta de Acrediaci An de Finde Obra - 10 posts
Becky's Duquesa 9th November, anyone fancy it. - 94 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 61

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x