uk or spanish licence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 May 2014 10:38 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Spanish nationals are not permitted to drive a RHD car except in certain circumstances. We, however, are not of the indigenous people, only on the foreign register, so law doesn't extend to us....yet.

I have not seen that anywhere about RHD it’s about where the vehicle is registered.

And as EU citizens we have the same rights and duties as indigenous Spaniards, with just a very few exceptions.  So, ‘only on the register’ as no significance.

Like 0      
11 May 2014 10:54 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

My questions may seem obtuse but not everyone fits into boxes. It's all a bit of a mine field if you don't.

I am a Spanish resident and UK national tax payer. I own a Spanish car. I also have a property in France where I spend the summers. There I have a UK registered car kept in a locked garage and legally used (mot,tax etc) whilst I'm there.

As I understand it I will be OK to continue drive my UK (rhd) car in France if I have a Spanish driving licence as long as I don't drive it to Spain. However if I take it to UK as I do each year for mot and tax am I still legal?

Like 0      
11 May 2014 11:05 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Micky  I am a Spanish resident and UK national tax payer

Sorry this is going off thread-

But if you are resident in Spain,  except for UK Government employee pensions (military, police etc.) and rental property there (which is taxed in UK and maybe too in Spain)  you are obliged to pay income tax on your worldwide income, here in Spain. No choice where you pay.  If you do pay in UK, HMRC will not tell you that you are wrong, but you can be fined for not paying here.

As said earlier,  of course you can drive your UK reg car in UK.

Like 0      
11 May 2014 11:16 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

John. What's happened to the EU double taxation agreements? If what you say is true then I will only spend 182 days in Spain and give up residencia. This entire process is turning us off Spain. I used to believe the EU would make life simpler not more difficult.

Like 0      
11 May 2014 11:57 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Once again, someone asks a question and hafl heard bits of information suddenly become the truth and "the law".

Back to licences. If you have a EU plastic licence you can drive in any EU country provided the licence remains valid and in date. This applies in UK as well as Spain.

Where is this "law" that a Spanish national can't drive a UK registered car? If a Spaniard living in UK has a UK registered car then he can drive that car to Spain if he is visiting. Same as going to UK.  What he can't do is "own" a permanently registered UK car, neither can someone in UK drive a Spanish registered car unless he is visiting. If you intend to become a resident in either Spain or UK, you must re-matriculate  it to that country. I think in both cases you have to start the process immediately (none of this 6 months bit) and complete it within 30 days.

Mickeyfinn, what's to stop you driving your UK from France for a visit to Spain?  As long as you don't keep it in Spain for more than 6 months then there is no problem. If you have a UK licence, you can drive your Spanish car there for a visit providing you don't keep it there for more than 6 months either.

As far as I'm aware, all these rules apply to every EU country.

Like 1      
11 May 2014 12:08 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Agree John I should have written a Naturalised Spaniard when habitually resident in Spain...cannot legally "own " a RHD car but is permitted to drive one in certain circumstances.
But that is just splitting hairs, as you love to do, lol, because it doesn't apply to Mickeyfinn queries in any degree.

Like 1      
11 May 2014 12:10 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Thank you Marie. I must say that was my belief also until this morning.frown

Like 0      
11 May 2014 2:08 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Micky. What's happened to the EU double taxation agreements

That is what the double taxation agreement says, Resident in Spain taxable in Spain,  except for the exceptions which I quoted, and thus not taxable in UK.  So you only pay in one country:  Spain

If you only spend  182 days fine, unless  you qualify as Resident in Spain under one of the other rules, e.g. centre of economic  activity,

This message was last edited by johnzx on 11/05/2014.

Like 0      
11 May 2014 3:30 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I have come to this conclusion for the UK retirees legal hassle free life. I'm going to make sure I follow these rules in future.

1. Stay 182 days in Spain in any tax year, usually winter months and retain a UK address for mail.

2. Do not, nunca ever become a Spanish fiscal resident. 

3. Keep your UK car, driving licence, address and everything else British especially after 70 years old.

4. Travel with your Sky box and a UK Google chrome cast dongle if you want to watch Netflix on the TV.

5. Keep all your travel booking documents to prove (1) above.

6. Transfer your escritura into a UK offshore company to legally avoid IHT between spouse. (Not sure you can but worth a try)

7. Take out travel insurance for repatriation to UK in case of health problems.

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 11/05/2014.

Like 1      
11 May 2014 4:04 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Either that or stop reading expat forums where you get half a dozen conflicting answers for every question.

Like 1      
11 May 2014 4:08 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I took early reyirement when I was 48.  I came to Spain to give it a go.  I am now in my 25th year in Spain and unlike Micky have no 'real' complaints.  On balance I find Spain infinitely better than UK. 

But horses for courses.

Warning:  retain a UK address for mail. 

If UK will not be your real home, retain address only for mail, then you will still legally be resident in Spain.  You really will have to move back to UK and just come here as a genuine visitor. If you are here for 90 days permanent then you wil be required to register as being resident.  And I am very doubtful if your item No. 6 is a legal possiblity.

But good luck Micky

Like 0      
11 May 2014 4:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I took early retirement when I was 48.  I came to Spain to give it a go.  I am now in my 27th year in Spain and unlike Micky have no 'real' complaints.  On balance I find Spain infinitely better than UK. 

But horses for courses.

Warning:  retain a UK address for mail. 

If UK will not be your real home, retain address only for mail, then you will still legally be resident in Spain.  You really will have to move back to UK and just come here as a genuine visitor. If you are here for 90 days permanent then you wil be required to register as being resident.  And I am very doubtful if your item No. 6 is a legal possiblity.

But good luck Micky

This message was last edited by johnzx on 11/05/2014.

Like 0      
11 May 2014 4:52 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I do prefer Spain to the UK that's why I live here some of the time. However this is not about personal preference. I have the same problem as the orignal poster being 70 next year.

I was told I could keep my existing UK driving licence until it due for renewal despite being a Spanish resident. If I cannot then drive my UK carin France that would be a problem.

If you have a straight forward uncomplicated life then these rules are fine, that of course is the majority of folks. Some live differently and have also differnt asset bases and if you are concerned about your dependents inheritance Spain does not make life easy.

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 11/05/2014.

Like 1      
11 May 2014 6:02 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Nobody can legally drive a non registered car in Spain (LHD or RHD) if the car has been in spain for more than 6 months in any 12 month period - simples!

Anyone with a valid EU licence (or approved international driving permit - which will have time limits on its validity!) can drive a car registered or unregistered (i.e. a tourist vehicle) in Spain, LHD or RHD, as long as it is legal and insured for them to drive - simples!

Why on earth do people continually try and buck the system or find a way round things.

1. If you decide to make Spain your home then exchange your UK licence for a Spanish one) it is simple and avoids so many complictaions). It is also easy to chnage back to a UK one if you decide to move back to UK

2. If you bring your UK registered car with you then transfer the plates!!!

3. Much easier to sell your UK car before you move and buy a Spanish car or trade your UK car in for a Spanish car when you get here

4. if  you are a holiday home owner do not bring an old UK car to Spain to leave here buy a spanissh car - much easier and legal or transfer plates

If it is money that stops you doing the transfers - then why are you moving to Spain?

If it is the language or paper work pay a translator or solicitor - it is easy

let's be thankful for EU / EEA agreements which allow you to transfer your licence easily you could have had to take a Spanish driving test as many have to who come from outside of EU / EEA

Like 0      
11 May 2014 6:17 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

let's be thankful for EU / EEA agreements which allow you to transfer your licence easily you could have had to take a Spanish driving test as many have to who come from outside of EU / EEA

Just as a matter of interest.   Its possible to exchange some others DLs as well. They include:-  

República Argelina Democrática y Popular, República Argentina, República de Bolivia, República de Chile, República de Colombia, República de Ecuador, Reino de Marruecos, República de Nicaragua, República de Perú, República Dominicana, República de Paraguay, República de Uruguay, República Bolivariana de Venezuela, República Federativa de Brasil, República de El Salvador, República de Filipinas, República de Guatemala, República de Serbia, República de Turquía, Túnez, Ucrania, Macedonia.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

IT IS QUITE BEYOND MY UNDERSTANDING - 11 posts
Name of beach game - 6 posts
Is this lack of info strange from an agent ? - 1 posts
Mobile phone!!! What's best deals??? - 6 posts
Inheritance Tax - 30 posts
Long term apartment required for rent - 0 posts
Long term apartment required for rent - 0 posts
Will Astra 2G Reinstate UK TV in Spain - 5 posts
Working regulations - 0 posts
Looking for Work Mazarron Region - 2 posts
Tribute festival - 0 posts
CÉDULA DE HABITABILIDAD - 53 posts
La Caixa bank - 0 posts
RosieMac - 15 posts
Hola - from a Scot in Lebrija - 0 posts
Berlingo - rear parcel shelf problem - 5 posts
Building a carport but where do I buy the wood? - 3 posts
RTN news on Barclaycard - 4 posts
Are the Spanish moveing away! - 3 posts
IBI Bill - am I wrong? - 9 posts
Long term apartment required for rent - 2 posts
Another wierd question - this time electric - 1 posts
Online 210 form - questions. - 6 posts
Online 2120 form - questions. - 0 posts
UK CGT - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x