RTN news on Barclaycard

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 May 2014 6:21 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Has anyone seen p 5 of the RTN about expats losing their Barclaycard s if they can' t give a UK address and don't use their cards for more than 6 months. Barclays state they can support overseas accounts on a temporary basis, but they are not designed to be registered to overseas addresses.
Bit of a slap in the face for their loyal customers who have had accounts with them for many years, and I imagine there will be uproar about this!

Like 0      
02 May 2014 8:16 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Barclaycard have been doing this for years. I had mine stopped about 10 years as I only used it for holidays and things like car hire. They reopened one after taking over another company I was with but wouldn't let me put a Spanish address when we moved over here. I've been using my daughter's address in UK which they said was OK but a letter has just arrived saying I haven't used it sufficiently so they are looking into cancelling the account.

Funny, their website says it's an "international" company.

Like 0      
02 May 2014 8:23 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Barclays knew we were moving here permanently, and have been happy to send new cards statements etc to Spain for years.
Does this only affect Barclaycard, or are debit cards ok, or are they even cancelling the actual bank accounts?

Like 0      
04 May 2014 10:35 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

I got absolutely sick and tired of dealing with UK banks with their high and mighty attitudes to client’s needs, draconian rules/fines/fees/interest and having to deal with mono-cellular badly trained jobsworths.

I have been awarded compensation on more than one occasion as I have been unable to access business and private accounts through no fault of my own, on one occasion for 10 days until I could send my card back to UK to be re-pinned! I was told by UK to go to any Lloyds International Branch in Spain who would sort it out, only to be told after a long drive, that Lloyds International were nothing to do with Lloyds PLC UK and could not help.

An associate recommended (can’t advertise - but PM me if you want the name/details) of a bank in the Isle of Man. Within 3 days I had an on-line account open and Visa cards followed. I can call the bank directly and speak to one of the staff, whose names I now know. They are all so helpful, courteous and knowledgeable and I can resolve any problem in minutes. It’s the best move I ever made and would never go back to those government licensed thieves on every British High Street.

Did you know that you need a gas bill before you can open a UK bank account...... This is to prevent terrorism and money laundering we are told. So, if a middle east crazy walks into Barclays on the high street with a bomb in his left hand, that would be OK as long as he had a gas bill in his right hand. As far as money laundering goes, do those privileged Oxbridge clowns not realise that money laundering is a very simple operation and the last facility anyone would use would be a UK bank?

Does that thicko Cameron and his parasite side-kick Osborne, (Not Ozzie – although he would do a better job), realise that they are turning away £billions of money from retired Brits who are not allowed to operate a bank account because they committed the cardinal sin of moving out of UK.  Another case of European Union equality?

This message was last edited by Woodbug on 04/05/2014.

Like 2      
06 May 2014 2:24 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Are the Spanish moveing away! - 3 posts
IBI Bill - am I wrong? - 9 posts
Long term apartment required for rent - 2 posts
Another wierd question - this time electric - 1 posts
Online 210 form - questions. - 6 posts
Online 2120 form - questions. - 0 posts
UK CGT - 5 posts
mobile gas & income tax - 4 posts
Tax on Bicycles? - 16 posts
Expat rates: Get out of Britannia before you lose out - 0 posts
Changes in healthcare from 1st of July 2014 - 2 posts
Crack down on badly behaved tourists this summer - 0 posts
Tax form 720 - 25 posts
They blocked my bank account! HELP Please. - 33 posts
UK assets - 3 posts
An Infestation of Grubby and Raucous Bags of Fur - 3 posts
Really green questions - but we all have to learn to walk before we run!!! - 2 posts
Applying for "residencia" in La Linea - 8 posts
No Nudity Please - We're British!....I wish - 7 posts
SPAIN HAS A ROBIN HOOD TOO - 0 posts
PRICES STILL FALLING IN SPAIN - 21 posts
Construction works in Spain Increased by 23.9% last February - 1 posts
Any Flight Booking Experts Here? - 4 posts
HAS ANYONE IN JEREZ GOT A SPANISH SECOND HAND CAR FOR SALE? - 0 posts
English version of Modalo 210 ... How do you get an original blank TAX from - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x