Reporting of Assets Outside Spain and UK Rental Income.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Feb 2013 8:59 AM by Jimbo-G Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

I don't really want to go into ping pong replies, I'm not sure they achieve anything, but in response to johnzx's reply on 27 Feb 2012 10:03, to my original post, I would like to say that I don't blame the Spanish Government for this law, what I said was ' whilst I find this particular law highly intrusive, as I reside here and I am tax resident here, I will comply with it '.

Secondly, I have spoken to two of my banks so far, who have both said that they would not disclose details of my holdings with them, but that they are required to report to my country of residence the interest that has been accrued on these accounts, which I have always been aware of and have included in my tax returns in Spain. I will update this thread if the written confirmation comes back any differently. 

Yes I am aware that I will be required to disclose the balances on the accounts at 31st December, 2012... my question is are the Hacienda able to obtain this information without you being aware that they are asking for it.

Thirdly, in the case of my life assurance policies, I am quite aware that information declared on a tax return is the responsibility of the declarant, but the problem is that I don't know exactly what they want me to declare, which is why you go to a professional for their guidance and as far as I can see what most of us will do, especially as submission of the Modelo 720 is only on line.

I plan to go to my local Hacienda office with an English born lawyer friend of mine who was brought up in Spain and speaks fluent Spanish, as opposed to a Spanish person who speaks English, at times things do get lost in translation, only then will I be satisfied that I understand exacly what the Hacienda wants in terms of these policies. Explaining plans legally owned by trustees with potential beneficiaries should be interesting, again I cannot be the only person with this problem who needs to know how and what to report.  

Unfortunately ' Duty of Care ' and ' Due Diligence '  appears to only be something that exists elsewhere, how many of us quote  the much used expression ' You ask the same question to ten different people and you get ten different answers ' and yes I do expect an Gestoria to have some idea of what is required on any tax form in the Spanish tax system, otherwise why do I go to them and pay them for that privilege.

As I said in the opening paragraph of my original post, I would like to thank johnzx for his input and I will continue to do so.

I also agree with Kathyslad  'As I think was said on an earlier thread, these new laws are really designed to capture those wealthy Spanish who have been doing exactly as you say. Unfortunately law abiding expats get caught in the crossfire.I'm sure that most, like me, came to Spain to enjoy their twilight years. They accept that they are subject to the tax laws in Spain, and most of them will have paid all the taxes they were supposed to in the UK, so why would they change now '.

Many of us are trying to get it right, seeking to understand, some are not bothered, but I for one am not going to risk or potentially jeopardise everything I have worked for in my life on the basis that I didn't understand what is required.

Again, has anyone yet submitted a modelo 720 ?, if so how did it go ?, what problems - if any - did you experience.

Jimbo-G

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 9:19 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Jimbo
I plan to go to my local Hacienda office with an English born lawyer friend of mine who was brought up in Spain and speaks fluent Spanish, as opposed to a Spanish person who speaks English, at times things do get lost in translation, only then will I be satisfied that I understand exactly what the Hacienda wants in terms of these policies. Explaining plans legally owned by trustees with potential beneficiaries should be interesting, again I cannot be the only person with this problem who needs to know how and what to report.  

I am sure all of us affected,  would appreciate a report on your visit.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2013 12:57 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

My Spanish colleague has just spoken to his asesor/gestor about this new law because his wife is American and she has assets in the US (which she pays tax on).  The asesor told them not to bother declaring his wife's assets in the US.  The asesor reckons Hacienda are only intersted in Spaniards that have been deliberately hiding money outside of Spain.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2013 1:16 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sanchez

I really do hope the USA wife has the sense to make more extensive enquires, or gets a written undertaking from the ?Rissian Roulette' adviser that they will pay the penalties if (when)  their advise is wrong :- . 

QUOTE:-
Callum Girvan of financial management firm Blevins Franks said: “We’ve been running seminars and it is clear it has caught the attention of UK nationals living overseas.

“We are strongly telling our clients that they should declare. The penalties are quite prohibitive, and you could end up paying more tax than your asset’s worth.”

The minimum penalty for failing to declare an asset is €10,000, as well as income tax on undeclared income, late-payment interest and penalties as high as 150pc of the total tax due on the asset.

For example, a Spanish resident with €300,000 (£260,000) in an undeclared overseas account would incur the minimum penalty of €10,000 (£8,640), and see the amount taxed at the top interest rate of 52pc. But they would also be fined 150pc of the tax owed and 4pc annual interest going back four years, meaning they would owe the Spanish taxman €424,960 (£368,000), according to figures from Blevins Franks.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2013 2:01 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Every tax office in the civilised world speaks with each other, dangerous thing this Internet and computer business, it's not a case of they might not catch you, and they might not, ever, yet they might, somebody's turn has to turn up sooner or later.

Be wary of any solicitor / accountant , here their or anywhere telling you don't bother, because if it's your turn he would love to charge you to sort the mess out, and in most case's they are exempt from prosecution for submitting false information because most likely you signed their submitted tax letters saying basically.....that they only submitted what you told them.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2013 4:05 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9404 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Legal tip 907. Obligation of Information of Goods and Rights Located Abroad 
06 March 2013 @ 13:53 

Royal Decree 1558/2012, of the 15 November, Obligation of Information about Goods and Rights Located Abroad.

This will introduce an obligation to report certain assets located abroad and whose value exceeds € 50,000 on December 31st each year, to all natural and legal individuals resident in Spanish territory, to permanent establishments, heritages and civil communities or partnerships.

While in the future this statement shall be filed between January 1st to March 31st, the 2012 statement must be submitted between the 1st February to the 30th April 2013, in accordance with the Sole Additional Provision of Royal Decree 1715 / 2012, of the 28th December.

You are subject to this obligation if:

- You are a Spanish resident (this includes any citizen or foreign national residing in Spain, Business entities, Inheritances , Partnerships, etc.), or have a permanent establishment in Spain.

- Value of your assets abroad exceed a value of 50,000 € (individually)

-  3 different groups of assets  subject to this obligation:

1. Accounts and deposits with financial institutions located abroad 

Information to be provided:

- Bank name and address

- Swift code, Iban code and account number

- Name of account holders and third parties with access to the account

- Date account was opened or closed

- Date in which any third parties were given access or had their access cancelled

- Balance of the account dated 31st December of the previous year

- Average account balance of the last quarter of the previous year

2. Values, rights, insurances and annuities deposited, managed or obtained abroad.

This group has to be subdivided again into another 5 subgroups:

a. Values located abroad: Information to be provided:

- Company name or full name of the legal entity

- Confirmation of registry details of the company or entity

- Value of the shares dated 31st December of the previous year

- Vale of the share capital or equity capital dated 31st December of the previous year

- Number and class of shares you hold

b. Rights located abroad: Information to be provided:

- Confirmation of registry details of the company or entity

- Value at 31 December of the securities transferred to third parties for capital or securities contributed to the legal instrum ent

- Value, number and class of securities or the securities provided by such shareholder.

c. Shares in the share capital or endowment of collective investment institutions located abroad:

- Confirmation of registry details of the company or entity - Value at December 31 shares held, number and type

d. Life and disability insurance when the insurer is located abroad: Inform action to be provided:

- Confirmation of registry details of the company or entity - .Surrender value at 31 December.

- The policyholders personal details

e. On temporary or lifetime income obtained as a result of the delivery of a capital in money, or economic rights of real or personal property:

- Company name or full name and address of the insurance company - Value of income capitalization at 31 December

- Identification of the beneficiary

3. Immoovable property or rights in immovable property situated abroad: Information to be provided:

- Country or territory in which you are located. - Address

- Acquisition date

- Acquisition value

* Note: The obligation extends to any taxpayer who had been the holder or beneficial owner of securities or rights during 2012 but no longer is on December 31st, and must provide the information on the date on which such term ination occurred.

Last day for filing the information (Form 720) for 2012 will be on the 30th April 2012.

Penalties? 

The penalty consists of a 5,000 Euros fine per item or set of data on the same account, asset or Real Estate property, which should have been included in the statement or had been provided incomplete, inaccurate or false, with a minimum of 10,000 Euros.

The penalty shall be 100 EUR per item or set of data on the same account, asset or liability or property with a minimum of 1,500 Euros, when the declaration was filed after the deadline without prior notification from the Tax Office. Likewise, if the filing of the annual statement is not done electronically via the internet or via written communication it would also be sanctionable.

The Observer

"The Observer", Sacromonte, Granada, South-east of Spain, by Landahlauts, at flickr.com 

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 9:16 AM by Jimbo-G Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Just to help my gestoria out, does anyone have a definitive view on where Premium Bonds go ?, Class 1 or  Class 2.  

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 2:29 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Just how far back are details of bank accounts opened/closd etc required-4 years, or from when you first came to Spain ? Sorting out the minute details is horrendous. Thse who lived here for years and have never registered and have no intention of complying with this new rule must be laughing their socks off, as its the poor devils who are anxiously going over every detail in order not to be fined for an inadvertant mistake who will suffer,

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 3:52 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi camposol

its the poor devils who are anxiously going over every detail in order not to be fined for an inadvertant mistake who will suffer

I agree that this will almost certainly be used by Hacienda to catch people out who have made mistakes on their form.  Maybe this is one of the main reasons for introducing it?

It seems to me that there is a risk in submitting this form, just as there is a risk in not submitting it.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2013 5:05 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

Err on the side of caution. Declare everything. :thumbup: Can't be wrong then can you ? If you are thinking of doing something declare that as well. Better to declare something that doesn't exist, but might , rather than things that do exist but might not be included. Remember the penalty is for
" non-declaration" not " Declaration of things that don't exist ! "
Throw some confusion in, as well as sleeping soundly knowing that you have not left anything out.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
14 Mar 2013 2:23 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

If you sell your house during 2013, go back to uk 2014, having transferred the house proceeds to one of your uk accounts, obviously the assets in that class would have increased by over 20,000 euros, so another assets declaration would have to be made in 2014 for 2013.Would only the details of the account in that class which has increased have to be declared, or would all the assets in that class have to be declared again, even though they hadn't increased by 20k,

Like 0      
14 Mar 2013 11:14 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

You have to declare all the assets in the class which as increased, not just the one account. I assume you're referring to a a spanish property from the wording of your post, but if not, then In addition you would have to declare the sale and value of the property under the property class

Like 0      
15 Mar 2013 9:29 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Jimbo asked about Premium Bonds. My personal opinion is that they are in fact savings in a bank, and therefore class one. Just because there is a monthly draw for prizes (in lieu of interest) in my view doesn't change that. If you go to the NS&I website (National Savings & Investment) it describes the product as an "account". So we have a bank account with them, only the payout system is different. Interestingly too, premium bonds are listed on their website as one of their savings accounts.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
15 Mar 2013 9:40 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Incidentally:  

Premium Bond winnings,  although tax free in UK,  but taxable in Spain, and thus must be declared.

The same goes for the winter Fuel Payment and even the Christmas bonus on the OAP.

Like 0      
15 Mar 2013 1:46 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I bet very few if any, realised that!

Like 0      
15 Mar 2013 5:09 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

" f you sell your house during 2013, go back to uk 2014, having transferred the house proceeds to one of your uk accounts, "

It certainly wouldn't go to any account that they would know about , or even in the same names !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
16 Mar 2013 2:24 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

guslopez-so what are you doing about the reporting of assets outside Spain then? Do you have any ideas to stop Spain getting it's greedy hands on our money-if so, do share.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 12:01 PM by Jimbo-G Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

To follow up on a couple of points.

Premium Bonds, in response to a question posed by DC(Costa del Sol) in this weeks EWN page 29, David Searle - albeit with an understandable disclaimer - states that he agrees with DC's assumption that they belong in class 2.

Life Assurance, after much work in trying to understand exactly what is needed, my Gestoria has said that it is the ' Rescue Value ', which according to my English born, Spanish brought up solicitor is a direct translation of the words ' Surrender ' or cash in value. I am therefore taking the view that Term Life plans, that never have a surrender value need not be reported, but that Whole of Life plans that have built up a surrender need to be, however it would have to be a pretty big sum assured to have accrued a surrender value of € 50,000.

Bank Accounts, even with the amount of information that is shared by Tax Authorities nowadays and the amount of detail that needs to be submitted, I have received written confirmation from my banks that under no circumstances would they ever disclose details of my holdings with them without my prior written authority. My concern has always been whether or not the Modelo 720 includes an automatic statement authorising them to disclose ?. Anyone have a view ?.

My Bank account with Nat West  was opened when it was still National Provincial around 45 years ago, heaven knows when.

From peple I have spoken to, there is still a great deal of unawareness with quite a lot of people for the need to submit this information by the end of April and in fact very many of them have no idea that this law even existed.

Other Gestorias I have spoken to say that you only need to report bank accounts with substantial amounts of cash in them !, me I'm going to report the lot, even if there is only £ 2.47 in them, old accounts that I've kept open and never closed... I will now.           

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 1:21 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Bank Accounts, even with the amount of information that is shared by Tax Authorities nowadays and the amount of detail that needs to be submitted, I have received written confirmation from my banks that under no circumstances would they ever disclose details of my holdings with them without my prior written authority. My concern has always been whether or not the Modelo 720 includes an automatic statement authorising them to disclose ?. Anyone have a view ?.

No need to worry about the tax man knowing what you got or any written authority from your bank because he already knows what you got, the bank has to inform all tax authorities about any account interest you receive, even if it's in a zero interest account, from that they work out what you got, and if that don't satisfy them, they go further.

Even if you bank did send you a letter asking for your written permission to inform the tax man, you cant say NO, because that then gives the tax man reasonable doubt to look without your permission, and that is all he needs.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 2:47 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

Camposol wrote ;

" guslopez-so what are you doing about the reporting of assets outside Spain then? Do you have any ideas to stop Spain getting it's greedy hands on our money-if so, do share."

Nothing. When I moved here I took the decision that I lived here, that's where my money is. I still have accounts in my name in the Uk but not with enough to disclose in. In addition all accounts that I have both here & in the UK do not generate any interest as I do not believe in " unearned income ".

I do not have any property in the UK or anything else that needs to be declared. If I do decide that I'm going to transfer money out of Spain then it would be in to accounts that are not in my name, probably into one of the kids.

It is no different to if I won the lottery here. After they'd taken there 20% I'd transfer the rest straight out & in to the childrens names.

As for the tax people talking to each other : lol.

I spent 2 hours & 3 or 4 phone calls to the HMRC last july before they finally agreed that I did exist & appeared to have paid tax many years ago. Then we had to go through the same nonsense with the wife, & we used to be in business.

In all honesty we  didn't exist  as far as they were/are concerned.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Hire in Murcia area - 7 posts
Justin Aldridge have you left the Building?? - 2 posts
What happens if I do not collect a Burofax??? - 9 posts
AUAN Press Release: Ex-pat homeowners take Spain to European Court of Human Rights - 11 posts
Netball in Seville? - 0 posts
Ian and Angie Calling - 4 posts
Registering a car in spain - 2 posts
Online Language Help - 2 posts
Community Approval for alterations to exterior of apartments - 5 posts
Rojales school - does anyone have children at this school? - 12 posts
Julie Andrews Turning 79 - this is hysterical! - 3 posts
Swapping Flat instead of selling - 2 posts
Can someone confirm Automatic Residency with a 160k euros purchase? - 22 posts
Best Bank here in Spain for residents? - 6 posts
Hertz Hire Car Charges For Full Tank? - 3 posts
Building a swimming pool advice - 5 posts
Hello, calling from Bulgaria. - 0 posts
Two Spaniards Self-Immolate Due To Financial Problems - 5 posts
Taking "embargos" from bank accounts - 4 posts
Non Residence tax Fiscal - 2 posts
Properties for sale? - 2 posts
Want extra satellite channels for Free? Gold, Dave, Alibi - 0 posts
Macias legal - Still in business? - 0 posts
housing price news spells disaster in sunbelt!! - 12 posts
What has happened to the " Reporting assets outside of Spain" thread? - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 356

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x