Reporting of Assets Outside Spain and UK Rental Income.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Mar 2013 4:30 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Actually, Having just had my form done by the tax accountant, it's not as black and white as it appears, and some things that you think have to be included on the form don't have to be, and everybody's situation is unique, particularly in relation to bonds.

what I did wonder is, many of us have had lots of different accounts over the years, some we may have forgotten about, some we might  not have any documentation for, some we thought were closed may be still open with a tiny amount in;what happens if they get sniffed out. Surely it is reasonable to declare everything we can remember, but if there are accounts in our past, ones that we don't realise we still have, it would be unfair to penalise anybody, and it would be obvious we are not trying to hide an account with say £1 in. Obviously if it's thousands it would be suspicious. I do think people have been scare out of their minds over this.Although its possible to trace lost accounts with tracing sevices, it is a long business and too late now.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 5:14 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

How can anyone not know of this law, with the vast amounts online and in the press?

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 6:53 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Good Lord, camposol. How many of these bank accounts have you opened in the past? Do you have 40, 000 of them with a quid in each?
However, I see your point. If you have 49, 999 euros in an account so don't declare but the find a couple of accounts with a fiver in each, would they fine you for being just over the limit? Don't worry. If an account hasn't been used for a year (3 years for a savings account), and the bank hasn't been able to contact you, the account becomes dormant and it goes to the government's "big fund" which is lumped in with lottery money. So only panic if you've opened half a dozen accounts in the last year and forgotten about them.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 7:34 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Jimbo - yes I saw the legal column in EWN suggesting that Premium Bonds go in category 2. However the NS&I themselves call it a savings account, so with all due respect to David Searle my opinion remains that if the NS&I (which is a bank) calls them a savings account then that's what I think they are as well!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 8:07 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

So which section did your bonds end up in Camposol

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 8:17 PM by Lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

Lifeline´s avatar

Can any clarify the position regarding those who are self employed in Britain, resident here and paying taxes in Britain?

Do such people require to inform the Spanish authorities of property owned in the UK that forms part of the self employed business?

We have been informed that as self employed people and also as former UK government employees, we are within our rights not to make this declaration.

We know that everyone's situation is different but would be grateful for input.

Daveil

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 8:33 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

If you were fiscally resident in Spain in 2012, then you are obliged to complete the declaration, if the assets you hold outside Spain exceed €50,000 in any one of the specified categories. This includes property ( based on the acquisition cost, not the current value.) I don't see why you think you would be exempt.

nor do i see why you think it's relevant that you are former UK government employee. This is only relevant regarding the declaration of a pension in payment for income tax purposes, which can only be taxed in the UK, but is not, in any case, declarable as an asset.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 8:45 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

This is what the law actually says (translated) about overseas property

1. Individuals and legal entities resident in Spanish territory, permanent establishments in the territory of non-resident persons or entities and entities referred to in Article 35.4 of Law 58/2003 of December 17, General Tax, shall be obliged to file an annual information return relating to real property or rights to immovable property situated abroad, of which they own or for which are considered to be beneficial owner as provided in paragraph 2 of Article 4 of the Law 10/2010 of 28 April on the prevention of money laundering and financing of terrorism, to December 31 of each year.

I think the key phrase is " which they own or for which are considered to be beneficial owner". From the information you have provided so far, it seems to me that you are required to report, assuming you are fiscally resident.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 9:29 PM by Jimbo-G Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Tamaraessex - Yes I tend to agree with you, especially as Wikipedia states the following... ' National Savings and Investments (NS&I), formerly called the Post Office Savings Bank and National Savings, is a state-owned savings bank in the United Kingdom. It is an executive agency of the Chancellor of the Exchequer '. Why didn't I think of looking there myself, however it just goes to show how confusing it has all become and David Searle is a well respected author of many articles on life in Spain. Perhaps this will put an end to where Premium Bonds sit, although I don't know if National Savings has a BIC or IBAN code.

With the advent of online banking, it is understandable why people have so many bank accounts, for me I kept them in place just in case I ever needed them, so much easier to use an existing account than to go through the rigmarole of trying to open a new one, especially as interest rates varied from account to account and normally for restricted periods... you had to move to new accounts to obtain better interest rates.

Despite the amount of press coverage on the subject, yes I'm afraid there are some people who still haven't heard about the law or maybe they just don't want to.

I think I've said this before, but I have many aquaintances who for want of a better word ' don't really live here '... yes they do, but through either fear or ignorance they do nothing about registering for tax residency in Spain, I'm sure we all know someone who qualifies in this area. I'm even more amazed about the number of people who state that because their income is generated in the UK, they pay their tax in the UK !.

Fortunately most of the people who contribute to this thread are seeking to understand exactly what is required to be reported and where it should go so that they do not accidently fall foul of this law.

Lifeline - Firstly, as far as I can see this law is for those who are tax resident in Spain, although it may include people who are not, but who should be.

If you reside here I think it best to check whether you should legally be tax resident in Spain if you spend more than 183 days here, this is only for starters there are many other points that could make you tax resident in Spain. My view has always been that you pay tax on your worldwide income where you reside. 

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 10:51 PM by wencra Star rating in mollina - malaga. 66 posts Send private message

wencra´s avatar

if owning property in the uk and being a resident in spain  (not just yet) and having to declare assests over 50k. can soeone tell me if the uk property is owned by several people not all spanish residents, is the tax burden on the spanish residents the full amount of the uk property or is it shared amongst all the owners? just a thought 

on another note how come when I try to use a smiley I can't post the message as this comes up in red

'ERROR! You cannot include web or email links until your account has been approved. Please remove the web or email address and then submit this message again. '

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 1:18 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Kathyslad-I have yet to meet with the accountant to see how my form has been presented.I do know that she has contacted the Hacienda with various queries about the form, as I imagined many have, being a totally new law.Therefore I have to trust her judgement, as I could never have done it on my own.Anyway, she assures me not to worry .

bobaol-I haven' got loads of old accounts. I remember an old post office account which I'm pretty sure I closed, but wondered if it was still in existence with a tiny amount in.I have also had building society accounts which have been closes. Perhaps the scary prospect of  fines can mke us paranoid!

Some people may have forgotton the existence of premium bonds-you used to be able to buy them for a pound each. It's quite possible  they are lurking in a drawer somewhere-surely they wouldn't be penalised if they came to light, and indeed why would they?

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 1:54 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

This doesn't affect me but if it did I really wouldn't be so worried and I can't help thinking there is some over reaction. It's assets over £50,000 in whatever groups, so surely old post office accounts with 5 bob in and a couple of forogotten £1 premium bonds don't count anyway. This will be to catch the big fish so please stop fretting!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 2:23 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Wencra

can someone tell me if the UK property is owned by several people not all Spanish residents,

The declaration for those tax resident in Spain (of assets of 50,000€ +) has nothing to do with tax.   At present, anyway,  it is just to declare one's assets outside Spain.

Of course if you have an income outside Spain, say in UK, then with the exception of Former Government Employee pensions, and rental income from UK property (the later maybe taxable partly in UK and partly in Spain)  all the rest is taxable only in Spain..

Thus a UK State Retirement Pension,  private pensions, Premium Bond winnings, etc.   are taxed ONLY IN SPAIN.  One cannot choose where they are taxed.

When making the annual income tax return, the exchange rate to be used for pensions and other income is the official rate for the year as  published by Hacienda/Bank of Spain.  (I have posted the table of rates on a separate thread)  but for the year 2012 it was 1.2253 euros to £1. 

However, if the income is received directly into your bank account in Spain then the actual amount received in Euros each month,  needs to added up.  If it is paid to a UK bank in UK the official rate for the year must be used.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 2:26 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Poppyseed
This doesn't affect me but if it did I really wouldn't be so worried and I can't help thinking there is some over reaction. It's assets over £50,000  (IN TOTAL)  in whatever groups, so surely old post office accounts with 5 bob in and a couple of forogotten £1 premium bonds don't count anyway. This will be to catch the big fish so please stop fretting!

I just realised that as I need to make the declaration I will need to add the £20 of Premium Bonds that I have.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 01/04/2013.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 3:05 PM by Lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

Lifeline´s avatar

Thank you for your replies.

The reason I asked is that I attended a seminar, run by our urbanisation Administrators, to which a British firm (which also operates in Spain) were providing information on the new ruling. Initially they said that the law states that all residents who have property with a purchase value over 50K would be required to declare that property etc. But later said that while the law might say one thing the reality wasn't quite the same. So I asked about my position as a property owner in the UK, taxed there as a self-employed person, as opposed to filing a personal tax return, to which he said that I didn't come under the requirements of Spanish law with regard to paying taxes here. As I wasn't a Spanish tax payer I couldn't declare property either as only those who are tax residents are required to do. 

The other issue was regarding superannuation pensions from former government empolyment that have tax deducted at source - to which he said, again, that there was no need to declare that income to the Spanish authorities.

Daveil

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 3:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Lifeline

The declaration is for those who are tax resident in Spain

If you are not,  then it does not include you.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 3:18 PM by Lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

Lifeline´s avatar

Thank you JONZX, that was my understanding.

It is a law that eventually will be added to the wealth tax and may cause Brits to think again about living here for more than 6 month per year.

Daveil

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 3:48 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Lifeline
                                    It is a law that eventually will be added to the wealth tax and may cause Brits to think again about living here for more than 6 month per year.

NB    One can be tax resident regardless of the 183 day rule.

And for those who are tax resident,  they are  already obliged to pay wealth tax on their worldwide assets and (with a couple of exceptions) their worldwide income.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 4:04 PM by Jimbo-G Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Lifeline - Jonzx is right,  this law only affects those people who were tax resident in Spain for the tax year 2012 - 1 Jan 2012 to 31 Dec 2012 - so it looks for now as if it won't apply to you...  but you clearly need to establish whether or not you are actually tax resident in Spain, according to the rules, for the future.

As I said earlier,

' Lifeline - Firstly, as far as I can see this law is for those who are tax resident in Spain, although it may include people who are not, but who should be.

If you reside here I think it best to check whether you should legally be tax resident in Spain if you spend more than 183 days here, this is only for starters there are many other points that could make you tax resident in Spain. My view has always been that you pay tax on your worldwide income where you reside. ' 

On the comments as to whether or not to report a bank account,  that is entirely up to the individual, as far as I can see there is nothing to say that you can pick or choose, or that anything below a certain value need not be declared.

For those of you who remember 9th January, 2008, the day that the Junta of Andalucia demolished Len and Helen Prior's home in Vera, I can only quote - from memory - the clerk of works words at the time, ' They will see that we do things properly in Andalucia '... the one single act, that in my view, contributed to the downfall in the investment potential and long term economy of Andalucia.

I for one will report everything, no matter how small - only my personal view and opinion on what I'm going to do - if you think I'm over the top, that's up to you, this affects everything I've worked for in my life and I do not intend to jeopradise it on a technicality.

Clearly we all have different views, but I would rather argue with a UK tax inspector any day, than take on a Spanish one. 

Like 0      
01 Apr 2013 7:05 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Lifeline, your original post said you live here, but it didn't say for how long each year, although as Johnzx said, there are circumstances which could make you fiscally resident, e vein if you don't live here for more than 183 days a year. However, for the sake of clarity, if you live here for more than 183 days a year, then you are a tax resident, irrespective of whether you are filing a tax return or paying any tax. Whether you should be is a different issue.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Hire in Murcia area - 7 posts
Justin Aldridge have you left the Building?? - 2 posts
What happens if I do not collect a Burofax??? - 9 posts
AUAN Press Release: Ex-pat homeowners take Spain to European Court of Human Rights - 11 posts
Netball in Seville? - 0 posts
Ian and Angie Calling - 4 posts
Registering a car in spain - 2 posts
Online Language Help - 2 posts
Community Approval for alterations to exterior of apartments - 5 posts
Rojales school - does anyone have children at this school? - 12 posts
Julie Andrews Turning 79 - this is hysterical! - 3 posts
Swapping Flat instead of selling - 2 posts
Can someone confirm Automatic Residency with a 160k euros purchase? - 22 posts
Best Bank here in Spain for residents? - 6 posts
Hertz Hire Car Charges For Full Tank? - 3 posts
Building a swimming pool advice - 5 posts
Hello, calling from Bulgaria. - 0 posts
Two Spaniards Self-Immolate Due To Financial Problems - 5 posts
Taking "embargos" from bank accounts - 4 posts
Non Residence tax Fiscal - 2 posts
Properties for sale? - 2 posts
Want extra satellite channels for Free? Gold, Dave, Alibi - 0 posts
Macias legal - Still in business? - 0 posts
housing price news spells disaster in sunbelt!! - 12 posts
What has happened to the " Reporting assets outside of Spain" thread? - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 356

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x