It's a Dog's Life But Why Spoil it For Others?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Let me go through the ritual first: I am of an Irish farming family where dogs like horses were the most wonderful colleagues. Domesticated, they were better behaved than the children. In terms of usefulness they were essential. Wonderful creatures – they were intelligent, amusing and well behaved.

As a youngster I lived in a Welsh farming community; I had dogs and some of my mates’ dogs had awards and rosettes covering barn walls. As a youth and until my forties I had a dog. I do not dislike dogs.

Here in Spain I don’t know which I loathe the most; some dog owners or their canine delinquent lap-brats. These poor excuses for dogs have been over indulged all their lives and treat their owners with absolute contempt. In that one respect I do honour the judgement of such dogs. Their owners are even more contemptible.  

This morning our tranquil urbanisation awoke to bedlam as dogs barked, yapped and shrieked - because I strolled past with my newspaper. You couldn’t hear yourself talk. It was like war had broken out. One grubby bag of fur, the size of a cat, made my life a misery by constantly snapping at my heels and trying to bite my ankles. My last hundred metres was taken up by my trying to beat it off with my newspaper. It was one of those moments in life when you wish you had a flame-thrower. Its owners were of course quite indulgent at its ‘naughty boy’ behaviour. Had a teenager behaved similarly he would have been quite rightly arrested.

This afternoon I arranged lunch with a lady friend. We arrive at the nice enough outdoor restaurant accompanied by her lovable spaniel, Tiger. Despite his name he is good natured and well behaved. As we looked for a table the pandemonium, attacks and bullying from some diners dogs ruined everything; not just for us but for other diners too. The dogs owners as so often were pathetically useless. We turned on our heels and took our custom and money elsewhere. To their credit other customers complained and said they didn't blame us. The rest of the afternoon spent elsewhere epitomised perfection.

For the life of me I cannot understand why grey squirrels, some birds, moles and badgers; even sewer rats are considered pests upon which open season is declared whilst these over-indulged schizophrenic misfits; canine birth defects are indulged by their equally gross owners. We cannot even take a stroll without hop-scotching through their dogs shit yet smokers are banished like lepers and human low-life are harrassed and arrested; surely it is a dysfunctional society to tolerate one and not the other.  

If you are a dog owner and do not agree with me keep your thoughts to yourself; I am not interested. I have heard all the weak excuses before. They don't wash; neither do your dogs. If you cannot bring a dog to heel and silence it, or at least keep it on a lead then you shouldn't be allowed to own a dog. Get it? just take a walk, take your dog – and don’t forget to pick up after it.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2011 2:44 PM by dartboy Star rating. 95 posts Send private message

i totally agree in Calpe there is dogs doings everywhere it unsanitary and not on.Maybe its time for doggy asbo's where the owner are fined maybe then we would see a change.Then again maybe not the chav's in england are given asbo's and still no change in their behavior its just lazyness on the part of the owners and parents alike no wonder the world is going to the dogs

Like 0      
15 Apr 2011 10:15 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Well said Mike.  I don't always agree with your posts, but do think that you have the right to say what you think and agree that they often hit the nail on the head.  In todays RTN the town of Hernani plans to make all dog owners have their pets undertake a DNA test so that the failure to scoop poops can be traced and a hefty fine levied.  If an owner fails to have a dog DNA tested they also get a large fine.

I have to say that we origtinally thought it was the Spanish (their dogs) who were the main culprits, but we have come to suspect it's mainly the Brits with their lttle hairless rats that are really to blame.  We come from a fairly rural area and understand the critical place that animals, particularly dogs can play in rural life and can see that the elderly can benefit greatly from the companionship of a devoted animal, but in Spain they seem to exist as a fashion accessory and there is little more amusing than watching a great husky guy walking his wife's pooch little bigger than a squirrel on the end of a long lead.  We do have two  dogs next door to us, but have to say that they are quiet and well cared for by a meticulous owner, if only they were all the same.

One of our gripes is that we have a farm behind us and there a 3 dogs perpetually chained to their kennels in all weathers and they bark mainly because I think they have become demented at being confined, to a 2 metre circle of dirt covered with their own feces in all weathers, but that seems to be the offhand way that the Spanish treat animals.

Mike

Like 0      
15 Apr 2011 10:26 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

In todays RTN the town of Hernani plans to make all dog owners have their pets undertake a DNA test so that the failure to scoop poops can be traced and a hefty fine levied.  If an owner fails to have a dog DNA tested they also get a large fine.

Now, there's a lovely job.  You spend 3 years at Uni doing your BSc followed by a post-graduate degree in forensic science.  You then, after being brought up on the exciting bits of CSI etc (surrounded by all those georgeous women in lab coats), apply for a post in criminal scientology and forensics and get accepted.  Your job is then studying and being surrounded by bags and bags of dog poo.  Crap to the left, turds to the right.  oh how those nights of extra study now all seem worth it.  Seems a bit pointless having your missus spend all that money on bio washing powder to make your lab coats nice and white, doesn't it?

Like 0      
16 Apr 2011 10:01 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Mike

oh yes, I know where you are coming from with this. As a game keepers son, we had working Labradors as gun dogs and they were amazing animals I realise now, but I used to take them for granted as a child.  The ' rat on a rope'  excuses for dogs and their owners are something else?. I often think these people would be better off  owning a cat as they seem to be more closly related, and wouldn't be so annoying to other people. With regards to small dogs though, we also had a westie on the farm and that was a great little dog (rat catcher and pet) so it's not always about size (oo-er missis) but the people they are bred for I think?.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2011 11:21 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

My whole reply just disappeared off tyhe screen and I don't think it posted, so I will try again:

Does size matter?  Well, with dogs i think the answer is yes.  We don't own pets as we travel quite a lot, but from what little experience I have I think the Jack Russel is the minimum size for a real dog.  They are working dogs, appear to be super friendly and don't bark (Iam told).  Anything smaller is a pooch.  They can be seen hanging out of womens hand bags around town and the markets, or if on a  lead wrapping themselves around everyones feet as they are seldom in posession of any discipline.  Clearly the owners don't think they need to be trained.  I also feel sorry for dogs dragged around the markets on leashes, usually trodden on by all and sundry and cowering in fright by their owners legs.

I genuinely feel sorry for animals in Spain.  Although I don't see human characteristics in them, animals are clearly sentient beings that feel fright, pain etc and to coop them up in tiny flats with no outside space is clearly cruel unless they are sufficently exercised.  I see horses around here in tiny corrals, no exercise, no vegitation, no shade and wonder quite why the owners keep them.  Anyway, that's another subject entirely.

Mike

PS, do these handbag minatures defecate in their owners purses I wonder?

Like 0      
16 Apr 2011 12:18 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

........dirty money eh?

I don't think animal suffering is considered wrong by many in Spain, but hopefully changing? At least bull fighting is being seen as the evil it is and starting to be banned.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2011 9:45 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

A small minority’s two-fingered thoughtlessness always backfires whilst inconveniencing others. Had some smokers and drivers acted more responsibly smoking in public might never have been outlawed and sleeping policemen never introduced.

Irresponsible dog owners are already responsible for overdue tightened regulations. These inconvenience also those who are a credit to the dog-owning fraternity.

A dog’s persistent snapping, yapping and bad behaviour will soon be considered so anti social that all dogs will be required to wear muzzles when out and about. Then we shall hear their owners yapping and snapping.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

MONEY SAVING TIPS - 1 posts
Paddle tennis court - 0 posts
wanted - 3 month rental in valencia - 0 posts
I am doing a project about the cost of living in Spain compared to the cost of living in the UK and I would like to know what you think. Is it more expensive here or in the UK, and whats negative about Spain for Brits. - 31 posts
bmibaby pulls out of Cardiff - 4 posts
Vistalmar Duquesa Sur - 2 posts
dishwasher/washing machine repairs - 2 posts
swap rhd audi avant diesel 2002 for spanish reg car - 1 posts
INSS Fuengirola - 3 posts
Need swimming pool repairer please - 0 posts
I cant beleive owners allowed to mis represent their properties for renting - 1 posts
Well Done RYANAIR - 32 posts
Lost the " Inspeccion Tecnica de Vehiculos " - 6 posts
Is it easier to get visa after 1 year of living in Spain illegally? - 1 posts
Hello!I'm newbie here. - 0 posts
Capital Gains Tax from sale of property - 4 posts
It is easy to LEAVE BT in Spain - 0 posts
La Gardenia service and travel - 2 posts
Looking for a cleaner in Altea Hills area - 0 posts
SIP Card Access to the Spanish Healthcare? - 9 posts
Polaris old building - 2 posts
La Gardenia Service and Travel - 2 posts
Good News For Spain - 9 posts
Amazing Spanish Bank Charges - 6 posts
License for First Occupation in established property - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x