I am doing a project about the cost of living in Spain compared to the cost of living in the UK and I would like to know what you think. Is it more expensive here or in the UK, and whats negative about Spain for Brits.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by imo94 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

I am doing a project about the cost of living in Spain compared to the cost of living in the UK and I would like to know what you think. Is it more expensive here or in the UK, and whats negative about Spain for Brits.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2011 4:30 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

This subject has been done to death.  If you search the forum you will find loads of posts regarding the cost of living between the two countries.  I also think that, if you'd added what's POSITIVE about Spain for Brits, you would not only have increased the extremely large topic title but also elicited some better responses.  I think we may be getting a bit fed up with the negative stories that predominate the British media about life for the British in Spain.  But, I suppose, good news doesn't sell, does it?

Like 0      
13 Apr 2011 4:43 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

13 Apr 2011 5:23 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Salaries in Spain are around half what you'd get in the UK but prices in the 2 countries are pretty similar overall.  Some things are cheaper in Spain, some things more expensive and some things are about the same.

So in relative terms, Spain is quite an expensive country.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2011 5:36 PM by georgeh Star rating in condado de alhama sp.... 1462 posts Send private message

worst thing for me is cost of golf memebership and the fact they then add on an extra charge every time you play. makes playing golf regularly in spain alot more expensive than in  the uk,  however the good news is there is never any snow  or frost and rarely rain.also i realise it costs alot more to maintain a spanish golf course.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2011 7:34 PM by gemini11 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

when we first got our house in spain i brought allmost EVERYTHING over every time i visited it, i think spain is expensive for a lot of things, e.g. 4 pillows from shop in Mojacar 52 euro,garden timer for water tap 50 euro, 15 in England. pyrex jug 6 euro in Eroski, £2.50 in asda,(you get the picture) the problem is we in u.k. have an Argos, Next, Asda in every town and we are really lucky. if i want to go to Ikea the nearest is in Murcia over an hour away, the local ferretarias have got it made they can up there prices because there is less competition in spain. in my small town by the sea there are 2 famillys that dominate all the businesses they own the supermarkets bars and restuarants and stop any new businesses they dont like opening because they own most of the buildings. i have got a printer stuffed in my travel bag waiting to go for £20 since my low cost airline decided i need to print out my boarding pass now or pay 10 euro each to get one!! so yes spain is cheaper for a lot of things rates here 170 a month spain 130 every quarter but not for shopping theres not enough competition.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2011 8:11 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

IBI tax (council tax) 239 euros per year on a 3 bed det villa, basura (rubbish collection) 7.90 euros every second month, car tax on 8 year old focus 100 euros a year, diesel around 1.30 euros a ltr. Wealth tax (non residents tax) 63 euros each for me & spouse per year.  I also believe that income tax does not generally start until you reach an 18k threshold (I'm probably wrong there, but I'm sure I'll be corrected by other forum members)  Pensioners are much better looked after.  Leccy and mains gas are around the same.  Bottled gas 14 euros.  Water around 400 euros a year.  Fruit & veg around the same price from local market but veg much bigger/better quality and lasts longer.

I generally find Spanish businesses greedy and out for a quick buck from the brits who they believe are rich.  E.G. local bar/restaraunt puts prices up(nearly double) when a local dance club 300 + people held an annual dinner/dance there, - result was that the dance club won't hold there dinners there any more - short term minor gain because many wouldn't buy the drink, long term loss for bar!!!!!

No Tv licence to pay, but can get all the main tv programs/freesat.  Internet very expensive.  Main telephone company in Spain Telefonica useless and expensive.

This is what I have found to be the case in my short time (2 years) in Spain.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2011 12:37 AM by Chopera Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

It largely depends on the exchange rate. When doing a straight price comparison I estimate the weakening pound has increased prices in Spain by about 30% compared to the UK over the last 5 years.

I think you can live pretty well off €2000/month in Madrid - much less than London - but most people don't take home that much in Madrid. Things that are cheaper in Madrid include rents, public transport and going out. Basic food prices are similar but I think that if you know how to cook then food shouldn't take up that much of your budget these days. I think clothes cost about the same as well.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2011 8:42 AM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar

Hi all we moved over permanately a year ago, and have found it to be much cheaper than the north of the UK (Yorkshire) the properties are like for like ie 3 bed 3 bath C tax £1800 suma 250 euros tax 100 euros, electric/gas £160 per month uk Spain 80, water 50% cheaper can go out to local 2 coarse meal for two with drinks 18 euros. All in all we have found it to be much much cheaper than Uk. Even the cost of Tvs/white goods etc have come more into line with uk prices if you shop around.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2011 5:59 PM by imo94 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

I agree that there is nothing much positive about Spain. But then, why do a lot of expats stay in Spain even though beieng hit by the cost of living in Spain, by the weakness of the pound against the euro. Sun and beaches you can find in a lot of countries in Europe, and now for example it is very hot is thr UK, so why stay in Spain?

Like 0      
14 Apr 2011 6:29 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

OH DEAR NOT A HAPPY BUNNY ARE WE.

THE MOST NEGATIVE THING ABOUT SPAIN IS THE BRITS WHO WONT LEARN EVEN A LITTLE SPANISH. WHICH IS WHY THEY ARE SO MISERABLE AND MOAN SO MUCH.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2011 6:29 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

OH DEAR NOT A HAPPY BUNNY ARE WE.

THE MOST NEGATIVE THING ABOUT SPAIN IS THE BRITS WHO WONT LEARN EVEN A LITTLE SPANISH. WHICH IS WHY THEY ARE SO MISERABLE AND MOAN SO MUCH.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2011 6:30 PM by Chopera Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

@imo94

Both my wife and I have reasonable jobs in Madrid and I think Madrid is quite a good place to bring up a family. We get paid in euros so the weakness of the pound doesn't really affect us. We also have a house here so moving back to the UK would be an upheaval. Having said that, if an exceptional opportunity arose then we might consider moving back to the UK.

I think Spain has it's positives and negatives like any country - I didn't come here because I thought it would be particularly "better" than elsewhere, I came here because the opportunity presented itself and it was a chance to experience a new culture, learn a language, meet different people, etc, etc. I would have happily gone to many other countries or stayed in the UK at the time. I didn't have unrealistic expectations when I came so I haven't been disappointed by what I've found (frustrated at times, but not disappointed)

Like 0      
14 Apr 2011 10:33 PM by ojosazul88 Star rating. 171 posts Send private message

Very hard to answer as your question is too general. What are you comparing? Living in London compared to a village in Galicia or living in central Barcelona compared to a village in Northumberland? Both are UK and Spain examples and both vary immensely. No one can give you an answer really, because it depends on lifestyles, spending habits, location, income, working or retired, yes whats negative for Brits has been said before, lack of immersion in the culture and not learning the language have huge impressions on how you view and base your opinions on any country not just Spain. 

Like 0      
14 Apr 2011 10:34 PM by ojosazul88 Star rating. 171 posts Send private message

Very hard to answer as your question is too general. What are you comparing? Living in London compared to a village in Galicia or living in central Barcelona compared to a village in Northumberland? Both are UK and Spain examples and both vary immensely. No one can give you an answer really, because it depends on lifestyles, spending habits, location, income, working or retired, yes whats negative for Brits has been said before, lack of immersion in the culture and not learning the language have huge impressions on how you view and base your opinions on any country not just Spain. 

Like 0      
14 Apr 2011 10:34 PM by ojosazul88 Star rating. 171 posts Send private message

Like 0      
15 Apr 2011 1:31 PM by imo94 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

I am comparing in general lifestyle in a village in Spain with a village in UK

Like 0      
09 Jul 2011 2:10 PM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

Hi Guys,

We are a couple from Sydney who plan to retire in Costa del Sol later this year. The intention is to buy a modern 3 bedroom apartment in one of the golf resorts near Benahavis.  Appreciate the cost of living issue  has already been knocked around a bit, however some of the data posted on Forum has been a little general plus could be out of date. So, perhaps I could push my luck by seeking monthly cost estimates re the following specific items:

Food/Household Items: A couple eating well & excluding meals out.

Electricity: Liberal use of air con.

Council Taxes: 3 bedroom apartment (about 110 M2) in a resort complex.

Council Taxes: Ditto

Private Health Insurance; Comprehensive for a couple late 50s'.

Telephone Land Line

Internet

International TV Channels

Car License: Assume a newish Passat 2 litre DTI

Car Insurance: Ditto

Also, would be keen to know what  standard doctor & dental appointments cost.

Although this is my first post I have been following the Forum for a while & appreciate the honest objective posts (good or bad !!). Therefore, look forward to some guidance re the above. Many thanks.

Cheers,

Jon

This message was last edited by Jon07 on 09/07/2011.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2011 4:41 PM by MattressCleaning Star rating in FUENGIROLA. 106 posts Send private message

well said AMEP.

why does everyone cry and whine about the same things over & over & over again!!!!!

Is it perfect here... No

is it better than UK... yes

if you don't agree then go back there..  we all had the balls to move out here and try spain in the 1st place so moving back shouldn't be such a drama

Like 0      
09 Jul 2011 8:42 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

Isnt Sydney supposed to be a top five place to live ?

I am however looking forward to the answers as I would like eventually to retire out there

This message was last edited by rod on 09/07/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

bmibaby pulls out of Cardiff - 4 posts
Vistalmar Duquesa Sur - 2 posts
dishwasher/washing machine repairs - 2 posts
swap rhd audi avant diesel 2002 for spanish reg car - 1 posts
INSS Fuengirola - 3 posts
Need swimming pool repairer please - 0 posts
I cant beleive owners allowed to mis represent their properties for renting - 1 posts
Well Done RYANAIR - 32 posts
Lost the " Inspeccion Tecnica de Vehiculos " - 6 posts
Is it easier to get visa after 1 year of living in Spain illegally? - 1 posts
Hello!I'm newbie here. - 0 posts
Capital Gains Tax from sale of property - 4 posts
It is easy to LEAVE BT in Spain - 0 posts
La Gardenia service and travel - 2 posts
Looking for a cleaner in Altea Hills area - 0 posts
SIP Card Access to the Spanish Healthcare? - 9 posts
Polaris old building - 2 posts
La Gardenia Service and Travel - 2 posts
Good News For Spain - 9 posts
Amazing Spanish Bank Charges - 6 posts
License for First Occupation in established property - 9 posts
CHANGING ADDRES FOR THE CAR - 3 posts
CHANGING ADDRESS FOR THE CAR - 7 posts
Areas - 0 posts
Inroal Mediterráneo III development 'lost deposits' - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 32

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x