SIP Card Access to the Spanish Healthcare?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Are there regional differences to healthcare access for those who have settled in Spain? I have been told that SIP Card access to the Spanish system, on the same basis as NHS care, applies only to Valenciana and not to other regions such as the Costa del Sol. I find this difficult to believe.

We do know the UK Pensions Service pays €3,500 each year into the Spanish healthcare system for each retired person of residencia status who has paid into the UK Pension system. The average cost is just €1,200pa per person so a nice little earner. Hardly a charity; nor are Brits spongers. For the rest the more limited EHIC access.

Surely retired Britons holding residencia status in say Mijas Costa don’t get less access than their ‘neighbours’ in Costa Blanca?

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
12 Apr 2011 2:19 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Yes there are regional differences. Here in Murcia the card is renewed every 5 years whereas in Andalucia there is no expiry date. both here & Andalucia you can get cards entitling you to full healthcare whilst under retirement age without paying in.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2011 11:51 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Firstly, there's no point asking anyone in Andalucia about SIP cars, because we don't have anything called SIP (nor SUMA, by the way) that I'm aware of here. So in that small matter alone, and in many other details, there are plenty of regional differences. The "autonomous" regions are just that. (Some even have their own language - but you knew that already!) Having said that, as far as I am aware, anyone in receipt of their state pension, and with an S1 from Newcastle, will receive full health care benefits when becoming resident in Spain, wherever they settle. For those below retirement age, the situation is different. Some regions at least used to give free health care based purely on residency (Cataluña, I think - don't know if they still do) and Valencia may do, or may have done, but I thought there was a voluntary contribution system in place now? Or is that Alicante? Anyway, I'm intrigued by Guslopez' statement that in Andalucia you can get full healthcare under retirement age without contributing. Not as far as I know! I'm sure there's many people here who'd like to know more.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Apr 2011 11:51 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Firstly, there's no point asking anyone in Andalucia about SIP cars, because we don't have anything called SIP (nor SUMA, by the way) that I'm aware of here. So in that small matter alone, and in many other details, there are plenty of regional differences. The "autonomous" regions are just that. (Some even have their own language - but you knew that already!) Having said that, as far as I am aware, anyone in receipt of their state pension, and with an S1 from Newcastle, will receive full health care benefits when becoming resident in Spain, wherever they settle. For those below retirement age, the situation is different. Some regions at least used to give free health care based purely on residency (Cataluña, I think - don't know if they still do) and Valencia may do, or may have done, but I thought there was a voluntary contribution system in place now? Or is that Alicante? Anyway, I'm intrigued by Guslopez' statement that in Andalucia you can get full healthcare under retirement age without contributing. Not as far as I know! I'm sure there's many people here who'd like to know more.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Apr 2011 11:52 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Sorry about the double post - triple actually, but you can only edit your last post (WHY?)

This message was last edited by Roberto on 12/04/2011.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Apr 2011 1:07 AM by rospapergirl Star rating in Fuengirola. 3 posts Send private message

I have recently moved from the UK to Malaga province and all my friendshere pay into private health care because they tell me that there is no free availability for those who do not work (i.e. pay into the system) and who are under retirement age.  A bit shoddy really, particulary as we're all part of the EU.

Would love to find that I'm wrong!

Like 0      
13 Apr 2011 7:27 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

There's a lady I know on another forum who lives Jerez de la Frontera way & has healthcare under retirement age & which is available to everyone.. She is actually a member on here & hopefully will explain it . Apparently everyone is entitled to healthcare under Spanish law, I get it here in Murcia.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2011 7:51 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Some additional information posted by the lady some while ago.

"EU residents of Andalucia can now get free state healthcare if the following conditions apply:

• You are registered at your local clinic but your EHIC/E106 cover period has expired
  • You don't get qualify for free healthcare cover as a State Pensioner
  • Your income is less than a certain amount (12,000 euros a year for a couple)
  • You are registered on the Empadronamiento (remember this needs renewing every two years)"

In addition there's this ;  

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_datos/Laboral/rd1088-1989.html#da

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2011 4:36 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"A bit shoddy really, particulary as we're all part of the EU". You have to understand that (as yet) there is no integrated European Health Service; each member state has it's own system, and they're not all as generous as the UK's. The UK gives free healthcare to all residents, regardless of age or whether they are contributing - just being a resident qualifies you. But once you are no longer resident (in the UK) they aren't going to pay for your health care indefinitely wherever you choose to settle. If you are below retirement age, it's assumed that you will be working and contributing in your new country of residence, so that country should provide the health care for you. Logical. Unfortunately Spain doesn't automatically give free health care to non-contributing people below retirement age; the system Guslopez mentions here may be one way to get it, but I wouldn't count on it - when dealing with Spanish bureaucracy, don't expect anyone to know the rules!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Apr 2011 4:56 PM by rospapergirl Star rating in Fuengirola. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you Roberto and guslopez for taking the trouble to reply.

I will make further enquiries to see if I get anywhere!

Ros

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Polaris old building - 2 posts
La Gardenia Service and Travel - 2 posts
Good News For Spain - 9 posts
Amazing Spanish Bank Charges - 6 posts
License for First Occupation in established property - 9 posts
CHANGING ADDRES FOR THE CAR - 3 posts
CHANGING ADDRESS FOR THE CAR - 7 posts
Areas - 0 posts
Inroal Mediterráneo III development 'lost deposits' - 4 posts
Transport from Alicante Airport - 1 posts
Visitors in Malaga - Luggage in Barcelona - 0 posts
Quack Quack! Unqualified Doctors in Spain? - 5 posts
Cédula de Habitabilidad - Administrative Silence Rule - 4 posts
What Price Spain? - 8 posts
Our Favourite Airline - 4 posts
The Expat Marketplace - 0 posts
MARBELLA LICENCES - 3 posts
Looking for work in Costa Del Sol - 4 posts
uk/spanish car exchange? - 0 posts
Pool Table - 0 posts
Air conditioning unit. - 0 posts
TC 300 Dual phone & TC 300 Sinus base station. - 1 posts
SUSPECT DHL EMAIL - 12 posts
Is my money safe in CAM - 0 posts
Free English TV on the internet - 19 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x