The Spanish government has announced plans to increase tourist numbers and extend the season beyond the traditional summer months. Plans are to include running campaigns to persuade more retired people to holiday in Spain.
Miguel Sebastian, The Minister for Industry, Tourism and Commerce, announced that the government wants to promote social European tourism that would help contribute to employment and strengthen the economy as well as helping tourism evolve and move away from being divided into low and high seasons. He said that if the correct product was designed then there was a potential market of 100 million European citizens between 55 and 75 years old.
With the increasing rise in fuel and general household bills this certainly could be an attractive proposition for many retired people. The added attraction of many regions of Spain averaging around 300 days of sunshine and warm temperatures throughout the winter months particularly in the south, could certainly tempt people away from the freezing winters in the UK and other cooler countries.
Not only are they going to benefit from a health point of view in the warmer climate of Spain, but potentially financially too. If you are lucky enough to have your holiday home on a resort or an area that offers facilities within walking distance then they aren’t going to get hit by the rising fuel costs driving to get their daily provisions!
So now could be the time to think of ways of promoting your holiday home for longer rentals if you haven’t already done so.
- Take time to work out what rental income you will need to cover your costs during the winter months and adjust your prices accordingly.
- Most people will expect some sort of discount on your normal weekly rates if they are renting for more than a month and maybe even more for 3 months.
- If you advertise on a holiday rental website then now is the time to start promoting the winter months, get people who are visiting and looking at your page thinking about possibly spending the winter in Spain.
- Sell the advantages! Warmer healthier climate, no fuel bills, lower cost of living in most areas, cheaper petrol if they need a car – if you’re on a resort mention how they may not even need a car.
- Give examples of flights, research now what deals are around and show how competitive it is if they book now. BMI for example are offering a return flight to Murcia for a month in October for just £70 per person including taxes.
- Find out what is happening in the area during the winter months, events that are planned for the resort etc. People will want to be reassured that the area won’t be a ‘ghost town’
If you’re looking to advertise your property for rent then there are many websites out there including Eye on Spain and if your property is on a golf resort, then Eagleye Rentals can certainly help.
Written by: Sue Foyle
About the author:
Visit www.eagleyerentals.com for more details.
Send to friends
Printer friendly version
Submit your own article