Are Newspapers Soon to be History?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Dec 2009 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Remember typewriters? Remember the street news vendors and newsagents where you picked up your newspaper? Are they soon to be yet another relic of the past? Apart from about three copies of the CBN a year, bought for professional reasons, it is years since I bought a newspaper.
I read my newspapers online and can read them all if I wish; they have much more content and are free.   
Newspaper proprietors are now trying to figure out how they can charge online browsers but the biggest among them, such as Arianna Huffington and Rupert Murdoch, are at odds on this one.
The locals battle for survival as advertisers migrate to online advertising; twitter, blogposts etc. They find it difficult to balance the books: The advertising revenue has to pay for copy content; printing, publishing, and distribution. The hard copies can’t compete on space or timing. Example: My recent If Britain Goes Bust article.
The locals didn’t have the space and anyway, the soonest it could be published would be six days – 14 days hence.
At 8am the editor of Spanish News snapped it up and it went on our forums. By midnight it had been read by nearly 8,000 people.
As a journalist I like both hard copy and online. As a realist I know that online information is the future. In particular I prefer it because it returns power to the people. In the past limited space content was rigidly controlled by the newspaper proprietor. It was censorship masquerading as a free press: it never was. “Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.” – A.J Liebling.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
03 Dec 2009 10:36 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I always check the news online.  I only buy newspapers when travelling around although I even check the news on my laptop when travelling.

I think news companies charging for online news is the only way for them to go really.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
05 Dec 2009 12:53 PM by lenox Star rating in Mojácar. 39 posts Send private message

We have lots of English-language free newspapers to serve us here in Spain. Some have news (old and wrenched off the Internet - who can afford reporters?). Some have columnists - people living locally write about their experiences. Some just put in filler from the Internet - jokes or stuff about pets (y'see - the English like pets). Some put in puffs about their advertisers, often flying in the face of truth just to keep their sales up.

Which ones are worth reading... and which ones line the budgie's cage?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Searching for a contact number - 0 posts
Econo-Heat - 21 posts
Problems with Car Trawler - 6 posts
Sevillana Endesa - has anyone else had a problem?? - 3 posts
Wanted - Propane Patio Heater - 3 posts
Electric hot water heater wanted - 2 posts
Christmas in Torrievieja - Nice Hotel? - 2 posts
Hi im new - 4 posts
Torre-Vieja : The Song! - 0 posts
Banks Liability Under LEY 57/68 - 46 posts
Spanish contract law - can someone clarify what consitutes a breach of contract? - 4 posts
Turkish Delight - 0 posts
Life insurance Help - 1 posts
Cheap storage facilities - 0 posts
Citroen Zsara Picasso 2.0 Diesel HD Exclusive - 3 posts
Restaurant for Christmas Day in Marbella? - 3 posts
SKY HIGH ELECTRICITY BILL - 9 posts
Looking for Estate Agents and Property Buyers for American TV show - 1 posts
Northern Soul Murcia Region - 2 posts
Table & 4 chairs - 0 posts
adopting bunny - 0 posts
rabbit adoption - 0 posts
Entertainment Only, Please - 0 posts
Wifi Leeching - 6 posts
ADANA Christmas fair - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x