SUPER-INCOMPETENT TELEFONICA

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

If anyone remembers my thread on Telefonica about trying to get a phone and internet this is the latest.  In brief they came in 2008 and only fitted an internet link via satellite dish stating that they couldn't provide a phone.  They placed the dish on my neighbours aerial on top of his terrace, without his permission, and left.  It didn't work so I rang them from work the next day and told them to take it away.  They came a month later to take it but they also installed a phone via WII FI.  Great, but then 2 months later they took €229's from my bank which I cancelled as there was no reason given, and if it was for installing Internet, which I didn't have, then they could go and whistle.  Then they started sending me bills every month for internet rental of €45's.  Every month I rang them and they said ignore it as "we know you don't have the internet and all your bills are up to date".  I told them that someone at Telefonica is sending me these bills so can I speak to them?  They insisted that the bills don't exist even though I had them in my hand and that I should ignore them as it must be a mistake.  Then I received a threatening letter from bailiffs in Madrid.  I rang Telefonica and they said ignore it as it's just a mistake and they must have me mixed up with someone else, as, and I quote, "You don't have the internet".  On Monday 24th August I received a letter from a firm of solicitors in Malaga who said I had 7 days to pay or they were taking me to court.  I asked my neighbour to help as she speaks Spanish and she spent the whole of Monday on the phone being passed from pillar to post and constantly being told that I didn't have the internet, so ignore it.  Apparently, if this was allowed to proceed I would end up being black-listed throughout the whole of Spain and wouldn't be able to buy a packet of sweets on credit EVER!  Finally she got through to a woman who said what had happened was that the original internet line that I had been given belonged to a business and I was being billed incorrectly.  "No", we said, the bills have my name on them.  Then she said that when the new phone was installed the internet line that didn't work was never cancelled.  But she said that she couldn't cancel it and that we would have to go to a Telefonica shop to sort it out.  Okay then, so where is the nearest shop to Manilva?  "Marbella", was the reply ,and we were given the exact address.  We rang the shop to find out what time they closed and they said in 20 minutes.  So next morning we travelled to Marbella and went to the shop.  Once there my friend explained the problem to the manager in Spanish who looked at her as if we were both mad and, with a lot of shrugging of the shoulders, he told us that all Telefonica had these days were shops that sell phones and they couldn't deal with any problems like this ANYWHERE in Spain as it all had to be dealt with over the phone.  Fuming we drove back to Manilva and then down the hill to Sabinillas to got to the Consumer Protection Office.  We parked up and guess what we parked infront of?  Yes, it was a Telefonica shop that sold phones, so, in fact the nearest Telefonica shop was about 1/2 mile away and not MARBELLA!.  The Consumer Protection Office were very helpful and they took down the whole story and looked at the documentary evidence.  They sent an official government document to Telefonica nd their solicitors telling them that they have a month to either drop their claim or sort it out.  They also told me not to pay any money to these solicitors as it would take years to get the money back, but if I had anymore correspondence from them I was to take it straight to them for them to deal with.  Relieved we went home but my neighbour said she was going to ring Telefonica again to see if she could get anywhere and to tell them what we had done.  After about an hour on the phone she finally got through to a department head who seemed to understand what had happened and he said he would investigate it and tell the solicitors to back off and that he would ring us either Tuesday afternoon, or Wednesday to inform us about his progress.  Guess what?  Up to now there has been no phonecall.

It defies logic that any company could be so massively incompetent.  How do they even exist?  It's incredible!  All I wanted was a phone, it's not rocket science!

This message was last edited by orda on 26/08/2009.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2009 3:46 PM by Norm de Plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

It took Telefonica nearly 4 years to connect our telephone in Tenerife - 1986 to 1990.  We had a number which rang, but only in the exchange in Santa Cruz!  I got the matter sorted eventually through their ombudsman in Madrid.  Unfortunately he now seems to have been made redundant.  Try the real Ombudsman (Defensor del Pueblo) in Madrid.  You can do it on line, and the jobsworths do seem to be frightened of him.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2009 3:52 PM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

So scary about telefonica after reading so many negative things about them. Hope I don't have to go through them just to get a landline. Is there a way of not going thru' them to get a landline as all the internet & telephone providers need a landline?

Like 0      
26 Aug 2009 4:03 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

VODAFONE do a phone which has a landline number attached to it. Its actually a mobile phone and costs 15 euros pm!! Free calls to all landline numbers and you can carry it anywhere.

I had a nghtmare with Telefonica and will NEVER EVER go back to them. My mobile, landline and adsl (dongle thingy) are all with VF and so far so good!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
26 Aug 2009 5:44 PM by Comanche Star rating in Islas Canarias. 13 posts Send private message

Try BTabroad "dot"com

All in english  number 902 231 222

Like 0      
27 Aug 2009 3:21 PM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

That's exactly why I want to avoid telefonica. I won't be using a mobile. I enquire once with BT but I was told that they don't do one in Spain. I'm not living in UK.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

to overpay or to not overpay, that is a question - 9 posts
JANE & ANDREW GODDEN - 0 posts
Help for British Disabled in Spain. - 0 posts
Honest answers - 0 posts
Pool Size - 5 posts
For Sale - Seat Inca 1.9Sdi Van - 0 posts
enquiry - 6 posts
Concerned about my Privacy on EOS site. - 22 posts
Barclays Opportunity Account - 27 posts
Adopt kitten - 0 posts
L.F.O. and errant Architect - 4 posts
We got a second opinion from another Vet in Benijofar. - 7 posts
Suzuki LTZ 400 Quad Bike for Sale - 0 posts
Briish Television... - 4 posts
If your a dog or cat lover please read this..... - 10 posts
4 JOINT OWNERS TO BUY A NEW CAR. - 24 posts
Frozen Sky Box - 4 posts
Yellow Rose of Texas. - 9 posts
Freesat from Sky Cards - Important - 0 posts
Help illegal squatters - 7 posts
Electricity Bills - 1 posts
Looking for a property swap in Costa Del Sol - 2 posts
Is it me, or is this a load of old rubbish!?! - 8 posts
Early retirement in Spain??? - 9 posts
Anyone feeling sorry for the Aussies? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x