Too risky to ask my UK bosses to work remotely in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by SteveBarbosa Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Hi,

Me and the wife have been working out what we want to do and want to move to spain. However, what with the credit problems and recession its dented our plans somewhat.

However, I work in computers and my uk based company allows me to do 2 days work at home and 3 days in the office (although I can do more at home if need be). This is quite flexible as I can be home for personal deliveries, cook lunch, etc. I am now thinking of making a proposition to my bosses about possibly relocating to Spain and making frequent visits back to the office for such things like meetings.

They can't tell me that distance will be an issue as I have already proved that distance isn't a problem as I am in the middle of being responsible for managing projects which we offshored to India to save money. They are doing the same work which I do (albeit in a bad way but thats another story - don't offshore to India!!!). The work I do is very difficult to find skilled staff for so it puts me in a position where they would need to re-organise in order to off load my job on to an existing member of staff as finding someone out there who can do my job will mean finsing someone with the skills and then training them up to understand the company and products and the way we work.

As long as I can get broadband and am not too far from a main airport (e.g. madrid or barcelona) it wont be an issue. My company already supply me the equipment to work remotely. Hell, if it can be done from India then I see no reason why they would want to refuse (unless they don't trust me). The main problem I have is that I need to speak with them (my bosses) of my intentions which is practically showing my cards on the table so to speak. I'm willing to take a pay cut as my day to day expenses will possibly be cheaper. I could even change from being permanant staff to 'contract'. Only question is how frequent I need to fly back and the costs of that plus hotel in uk. I was thinking of maybe flying back on average twice a month.

I would like advice from those who do something similar. Is the travelling too much trouble? Is the cost of living in spain no different to uk nowadayss? Is it worth the risk of even asking my bosses? Remember, I'll be letting them know my intentions and we've already have several spates of redundancies at work so its high'ish risk. They might just say no and wait for me to resign knowing they wont have to make me redundant (as they think I will leave eventually).

What should I do??? Would love to do my current job in Spain as it would allow us to earn an income over there until we try and get our business plans up and running after the recession is over.

Too risky to ask my boss? Or stick with working in the uk? Or just quit the job anyway and come over to spain? Is broadband reliable and reasonably priced?

My wife has already survived numerous redundancies at her company (Yellow Pages - advice - dont buy their shares!!!) and is sick of having to do the job of four people now. What with all the working time in the week, nursery fees, lack of time for family, weather, lack of getting any better off, etc. Its time to make some sweeping decisions in our lives.

Any advice welcome! Cheers, Steve

Like 0      
02 Apr 2009 12:01 PM by firsteuro Star rating in Hondon de las Nieves. 58 posts Send private message

firsteuro´s avatar

Hi Steve,

It sounds as though you have a difficult decision to make.

In a better economic climate although not a "no brainer" your decision would be a lot easier to make, however there is one factor amongst many that you do need to take into account.

You stated that you would be willing to take a paycut in the UK, however if you move over here you will be earning Sterling and spending Euro's. With the exchange rate as it is you will be taking a second "paycut" caused by currency fluctuations. You only need to look at how the echange rate has effected the spending power of the retired expats, who have lost a good 25% of their income.

I personally would not give employers any reason to question ones commitment in these difficult times.

Regards

Steven

Like 0      
02 Apr 2009 3:05 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Excellent advice Steven. 

Two members of my family work in IT/Computers, as does my next door neighbour (Sun Microsystems)  All report massive redundancies in this sector. Should redundancies be required in Steves company, they may think he is opting out anyway and he could find himself out of a job in a foreign country  (Spain) where there is currently 3,600,410 unemployed  as quoted from their March figures.

This message was last edited by Tish on 4/2/2009.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ryanair - A good story for a change. - 12 posts
New Car Price Reduction - 33 posts
OUR WEE COUNTRY - 0 posts
Shops in Quesada? - 18 posts
Can anyone recommend a supplier of external blinds in the Manilva area, CDS? - 1 posts
Yorkshire Linen Company - 0 posts
Yorkshire Linen Company - 6 posts
VILLAPAC - BE VERY CAREFUL - 2 posts
Wireless connection - 2 posts
Taking my cat to spain - 4 posts
Truck to UK in May. - 3 posts
Can we have a 'quote' feature please on EOS ? - 2 posts
new to forum and have bought in Entre Golf. - 4 posts
Driving down to Spain - 23 posts
New Sky Cards - Confirmation - 15 posts
Tenants just walked out.. - 19 posts
Peninsula threatening to seize UK assets and force purchasers to complete on Medina Elvira golf in Granada - 7 posts
Peninsula threatening to seize UK assets and force purchasers to complete on Medina Elvira golf in Granada - 20 posts
gas bottle prices coming down - 11 posts
Grants - 3 posts
Grants - 0 posts
What Documents and other items must I have in the car - 35 posts
La Concha Living Estate Agent Marbella - 9 posts
Car rental from Barcelona Train Station - 1 posts
Exciting Products in Mercadona - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x