Taking my cat to spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by Daisymil Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

We have a villa in Spain with a large garden.  We are driving over via Brittany Ferries in June along with our 2 dogs and cat and staying for around 4 months.  When we go for short breaks we leave our cat in the cattery.  When I collected him the other day, the people who owned the cattery asked if they could keep our cat and not take him to Spain.  Obviously we love him very much and do not want to give him away but people are saying I should let him go and not take him to Spain.  He travels well in the car and I think he will settle and enjoy the sunshine.  Am I being selfish taking him or should I give him away to a good home and not put him through all that travelling.  I do want to do what is best for the cat - has anyone else taken their cat over and bought them back and did they enjoy life in Spain.

I had not thought about leaving him behind until this good home was offered.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2009 7:08 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Our neighbours brought their two cats and they settled really well. Personally, I would take my cat to the moon with me. You know your own cat better than anyone so do what feels right.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
01 Apr 2009 7:46 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I would rather give away my right arm. I imagine if I posted a similar question asking whether I should give my children away I would be shot down in flames, but that's how I feel when I read about people giving away their pets "for the good of the pet". I apologise if I sound judgemental, but sadly in the current "crisis" there are so many stories of ex-pats leaving Spain and dumping their pets because they say they cannot take them home with them. Obviously your circumstances are slightly different, but even so, please do not listen to those people advising you to give Moggie away. If you are concerned about how he will cope with the travel and foreign climate, maybe the good people at the cattery would agree to look after him for the 4 months, but when you return, surely you would regret it if you couldn't go get him to bring him home?

If you do decide to bring him with you, do make sure (sorry if this sounds obvious) that he is fully vaccinated, chipped, rabies jabs up to date with blood tests etc. etc. and that you know what you have to do on the return leg. All the info is available online or from your vet. And finally, I'd just like to say that if he does come with you, please make sure that he cannot get out of your garden and go walkabout, and that he doesn't come into contact with any of the natives. FIV is rife amongst the many feral cats in Spain, and the last thing you want is for him to come home with an unwanted souvenir.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Apr 2009 10:09 AM by johnrio Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

We brought our 3 cats with us from the UK 5 years ago and they love it here.  The vets are much more helpful and friendly than back home and alot cheaper.  The only problem is that most people dislike cats due to the amount of ferals out here.  I have had a few arguments with neighbours over this.  My cats have their own covered in litter tray and I suggest you do the same.

Good luck with your move.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2009 12:04 PM by goldwing Star rating in Near Alicante. 61 posts Send private message

Cats settle in very quickly.

As with any move just keep them in for a couple of weeks after arrival to get them used to the house.

Ours were fine, moved twice with them in Spain, no problem.

Also as said vets bills much cheaper here. Just make sure you have pet passport & all the jabs etc. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Truck to UK in May. - 3 posts
Can we have a 'quote' feature please on EOS ? - 2 posts
new to forum and have bought in Entre Golf. - 4 posts
Driving down to Spain - 23 posts
New Sky Cards - Confirmation - 15 posts
Tenants just walked out.. - 19 posts
Peninsula threatening to seize UK assets and force purchasers to complete on Medina Elvira golf in Granada - 7 posts
Peninsula threatening to seize UK assets and force purchasers to complete on Medina Elvira golf in Granada - 20 posts
gas bottle prices coming down - 11 posts
Grants - 3 posts
Grants - 0 posts
What Documents and other items must I have in the car - 35 posts
La Concha Living Estate Agent Marbella - 9 posts
Car rental from Barcelona Train Station - 1 posts
Exciting Products in Mercadona - 8 posts
Easter holidays - 1 posts
Where does all the Garden Rubbish go? - 1 posts
Question for Maria - Car insurance liability - 1 posts
Free towels for cat/dog rescue centre available Costa Blanca South - 0 posts
Volunteers needed Costa Blanca - 2 posts
Renting out apartment? - 0 posts
SAD - 7 posts
Need a Programable Themostat - 0 posts
How many complaints about an EOS member before he/she is blocked, etc.? - 2 posts
Should someone ask you before they PM you? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x