mosquitoes

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by landroverdave Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi, I am new to the firum but have lived in Spain for the last 6 years. I was wondering if anybody else is having a problem with mosquitoes. It seems that they are worse now then they have ever been and it´s driving my wife and kids mad. It seems that no sooner do you expose a little bit of flesh that the little buggers are biting it. Any suggestions about how to stop getting bitten of even better how to stop the mosquitoes full stop?

Please help,,,,, stop the itching... its driving us mad

Like 0      
16 Oct 2008 5:22 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

What area are you living in?  only no reports of any in my area of Spain. 

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
16 Oct 2008 5:52 PM by Elly May Star rating in La Zenia, Costa Blan.... 13 posts Send private message

Elly May´s avatar
Usually by this time of year they have died down, we always find them at their worst in August!  But, if you are still having problems (poor you) then try Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray (the green bottle).  Brilliant stuff which does work as long as you use it constantly.  Another product to try is Nenuco which you can get from Mercadona, it is actually a baby product (cologne) but again works!  I usually use both together, put the Nenuco on after your shower and then once it is dry apply the Avon spray. I now (touch wood) only get the occasional bite as opposed to loads when I first went to Spain.

Our Spanish neighbours, on the the other hand, always use their electric zapper thing (with a blue light) especially when they are sitting outside watching tv.  We may invest in one of these aswell next summer.  
We might even have our tv back by then....

HTH

Like 0      
16 Oct 2008 6:02 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi

We are in Almeria and the mossies have been particularly bad this last 3 weeks, but thy do seem to be getting less each day. We have been bitten through clothing so we spray our whole bodies not just the exposed bits, anywhere where clothing fits tight such as across the shoulders.

Once bitten we do find that taking antihistamine tablets such as Clarityn helps reduce the itchiness along with using Anthisan cream and Kalamina lotion.

I do sympathise with you, we have had a really difficult week - now we are back to being plagued with flies. 

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
16 Oct 2008 7:38 PM by 4749annjoe Star rating in blackpool lancs. 50 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone

Many years ago when on holiday in corfu after only one day I was bitten by about 1/2 dozen mossy.
my face got it bad.

We came home and someone suggested take Garlic tablets or the real thing, the next time we went on holiday We had little trouble, also so we were told not to use aftershave or perfume.

Hope this is of some use.

4749AnnJoe

Like 0      
16 Oct 2008 7:47 PM by Pickles Star rating. 141 posts Send private message

Pickles´s avatar
Hi 

I also get bit from those horrible things and was just using a cream, so i also got some plug ins they were the ones with the tablets inside, we left them pluged in for the 9 days holiday period and it caught light,  it did trip but there was a lot of wall damage so just be careful if you are using plug ins

Like 0      
16 Oct 2008 8:10 PM by landroverdave Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the answers, we live in El Carmoli and we seem to have a plague of mossies.
I will give everything a try: After all most of it sounds like it will make you smell nice or could be fun to apply.
Any other suggestions will be greatfully accepted though.
Having to sit indoors enjoying a glass of red, with no telly!!
Shame because its a nice evening and we all live in Spain to enjoy the outdoor life!

Thanks again for the suggestions

Like 0      
18 Oct 2008 7:07 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

I belive taking vitimin D Tablets are good they dont like the taste.

Like 0      
20 Oct 2008 10:40 PM by carpet Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Try this and tell me if it works,  diluted washing up liquid in a spray bottle, spray it all over the outside area, trees bushes etc. etc. careful inside or on outside tiled areas as it will be slippy. 
No joke, an American I know swears by it.
I will be trying it next year here in Scotland when the pesky midges return.

Like 0      
20 Oct 2008 11:33 PM by landroverdave Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Will give it a try and let you know, as long as I am not in tractioin from slipping on the tiles!
Does actually sound reasonable though so its got to be worth a try

Like 0      
21 Oct 2008 10:08 AM by Lambert2 Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

I'd read great things about Avon's Skin So Soft and so  took it on our recent trip to Cadiz privnce.  Sadly it didn't work for me and the mossies have made a mess of my arms and legs.  But at least I've got nice soft skin even if it is blotched.

This message was last edited by Lambert2 on 10/21/2008.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2008 12:52 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

I have lived here for 24 years always used the plug in type for the bedroom etc tablets better than the liquid. When out and about I have a battery operated machine about the size of a cigarette lighter, it gives out a high pitched sound which they do not like, has a range of approx 3 metres. You can buy a larger one with a larger range. Available from pharmacys about 8 euros.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2008 1:14 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
I have a more fun cure.  My wife bought me a gadget which just looks like a tennis racket and is about the same size.  The actual mesh is made of steel and it is connected to a battery in the handle.  When you see/hear a mossie you serve like Andy Murray while pressing the button on the handle and the mossie leaves this planet in a blinding flash.  Mwahaha.   Unfortunately if anyone sees you madly waving this tennis racket about (especially in the dark) the men in white coats come and get you.  It also works on flies of all sorts and flying ants are particularly good sports.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2008 1:35 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

I used avon skin so soft dry oil for years BUT it does not
have any effect now, I was advised to buy colonia infantil,
its a childrens cologne, I pour it into a cheap plastic spray
bottle which I bought for approx 40 cents,
its a lemon smell, Since I started to use it about
5 months ago I have not had any bites, its brilliant.
I got a 750ml bottle for less than 1 euro.

coolyes

Like 0      
05 Nov 2008 10:04 AM by sammyray Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

where can you buy colonia infantil thank-you

Like 0      
05 Nov 2008 12:25 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Any super market in the baby section,usually big plastic bottles, it's baby cologne, all the Spanish use it for their children

Like 0      
05 Nov 2008 4:01 PM by twowasps Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

smiffyinspain

Don't know about vitamin D but vitamin B tablets were recommended to me by a paramedic who starts taking them a week before he goes on holiday. My wife and I started taking them and rarely get bitten now

Denis

Like 0      
05 Nov 2008 4:06 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

I think your probably right I must have misheard I will try vitimin B next time thanks for your reply

Like 0      
05 Nov 2008 8:20 PM by carpet Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Re my previous posting 20th Oct I mis-understood my friend, it is actually 'Listerine' neat you use, but at least your back garden will be squeeky clean now and after using listerine will be nice and fresh also and hopefully mosquitoe free

Like 0      
05 Nov 2008 8:27 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

I must admit that I was worried about mosquitos before we came over here, as they LOVE me!  However we have been in Spain from April until now and haven't seen any, possibly because we are inland.  However what I use is any carrier oil (almond oil if you're not allergic to nuts, or the cheapest you can find) with a few drops of citronella.  It has always worked for me.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

DVD Player in Spain - 2 posts
Mobile Air Con Unit - 2 posts
Hydropool Hot Tub - 4 posts
Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia - 3 posts
imports of rattan furniture - 0 posts
Company called Resale Strategy - 10 posts
any one know about moto cross in spain - 0 posts
Long term rental in Costa Calida - 0 posts
Wealth Tax - 1 posts
New Years Eve - 12 posts
Hi I just want to introduce myself - 0 posts
Repeat Prescriptions - 3 posts
hola ! - 8 posts
Polaris world please help - 7 posts
Professional Family Need home ! - 3 posts
FIESTA - 0 posts
Volvo 850 Estate for sale. - 0 posts
I want to buy in Spain - 35 posts
Removing Posts - 2 posts
Non completing question... - 7 posts
Satisfaction survey! - 3 posts
Question for Maria - 4 posts
GAYLE PHILLIPS - 0 posts
Television in Roda - 0 posts
Has anyone heard of this Polaris World lawsuit? - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x