dodgy builders

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by dr who Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Hi , 
I know this title must have been covered many times before but i cant find a thread. And i know that care has to be taken when when naming names due to the obvious legal reasons. But i have a serious grievance with a very dodgy builder (English ) who basically couldnt build ! It took me a couple of weeks to suss how bad he was but not before i parted with quite a lot of money and he was given his marching orders. But now i am repairing the jobs he botched as best as i can (although if anybody here can put me in touch with someone who can put right some very badly fitted double glazed doors i would be grateful ) . I went to see my solicitor but he didnt really seem interested in the case and apart from sending him 1 letter , to which the cowardly builder did not reply , that was the sum total of his efforts in 3 months (any solicitor out there want to follow this up ) ? I have now found out that he is not registered , licenced etc  ,  his company isnt registered , he hasnt got NIE , residencia etc , altough he has got a long number quoted on a receipt which i have found out he made up himself. 
If anyone out there is having trouble with a builder , perhaps we can maybe get in touch with each other , see if they are one and the same and maybe take some positive action and gain some sort of recompense and hopefully get these scumbags stopped once and for all. 

dr who.

Like 0      
26 Jun 2008 7:18 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Hi Dr Who,

I'm sorry to hear about your building trouble. I don't know where you are but in my experience most English so called builders are dodgy. Everyone you talk to is a 'builder' even though in the UK they were something completely different and haven't even managed DIY at home!!! They come to Spain and  suddenly become master builders. We tend to keep well clear of the Uk builder and use only Spanish firms, anyway they are much cheaper and the work is always excellent. Having said all that I expect there are legal UK building firms about and they are not about ripping of the Brits but they are few and far between.
I hope you get things sorted out soon and get a satisfactory outcome with your original 'builder'

Best regards

Like 0      
26 Jun 2008 8:52 AM by dr who Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Hi Sterling , 
Some very true words there , especially the part about being something completely different in the UK. With hindsight , i would bet a large amount of money that this bloke never set foot on a building site over there. The only reason he lasted so long in my house was because of his mate who worked with him on some days. He was very good at what he was doing but was only here 30 or 40% of the time . When the "builder" was here by himself , very little got done and what was done i have put right myself since. 
To anybody thinking of getting a builder in , insist on references and follow them up. Dont just read them and leave it at that. Phone them up and if possible go round and view the work and make your mind up then. 
And if you are thinking of employing a builder from the Los Barrios area whose first name begins with a "J" , be very careful !!!!! He is not registered , not legal , and definitely NOT  a builder . 

Dr Who . 

Like 0      
26 Jun 2008 1:17 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

You could always denounce him dr who.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2008 4:17 PM by dr who Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Mr dodgy builder is now working at Sotogrande. I was behind him in the car signalling him to stop but of course he wouldnt. He turned in at the top end at the roundabout next to the school. So if anybody knows anyone who has a builder in, in this area ,tell them to be very careful and double check , nay treble check, that everything is done properly and to their satisfaction. I very much doubt it will be. In fact , i would be blooming amazed if it was satisfactory. And also tell them to keep some of the money back until everything is finished and dont listen to any sob stories. They will be told in a southern accent after he has got out of his white van with the property services name on the side , hint hint.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2008 1:57 PM by Liz Fox Star rating in Coria del Rio, Sevil.... 9 posts Send private message

What's better about the UK?  My husband is a time-served builder and ran his own company from 1979 to 2002 (when we came over here).  We were sick of competing with so-called builders who'd never even been on a course never mind served an apprenticeship.  And they all undercut him cos they were signing on the dole!!!  We're now skint but happy building our own house :o)

Like 0      
30 Aug 2008 2:59 PM by dr who Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Liz , i wish i'd known your husband and used him instead of the incompetent idiot i did get. This bloke definitely wasnt time served (except in stupidity ) and was almost certainly NOT  a builder in England. Unfortunately for me , it started off so well but as i know now , only because his mate was with him and he did all the work. His mate was very good but was only here 25% of the time. Its these so called builders that give the Brits a bad name. And yes they do undercut originally , but then the extras started getting added on and before you know it , you've ended up paying more than you should have done. Some of the lies he told to justify some of the payments were "jackanory" type stuff. And yes , i can say lies because i caught him out a few times and have even got letters from him saying one thing in one letter and then something completely different in another. My sympathys go to the people who have got him  at their house in Sotogrande now.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2008 3:29 PM by dr who Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Mr dodgy builder has done it again. The courts , denuncing , suing etc etc will follow. He has now tried to do a full roof fix and didnt have a clue as to what he was doing. He has now got his mate running round trying to find a proper roofer to put it right but it looks as though it is far too late. The bad winds and rain of the past few weeks have shown up his work for what it is......................an absolute abortion !!!!!! Seems like he has upset quite a few people in the past and word has got round so that every time he turns to someone for help he is told to go forth and multiply. Couldnt happen to a nicer fellow.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Inheritance Tax - 1 posts
Anyone living or working in Gibraltar??? - 3 posts
mijas11 development BUENAVISTA MIJAS (OVP) - 7 posts
grace period for mortgage defaulters - 1 posts
Moving to Spain - 0 posts
Ethical Code for Local Councils - 2 posts
Winter flights - 19 posts
Playa Blanca - Lanzarote - 0 posts
electrics - 6 posts
Did developer make changes? Compensation-Cancellation - 3 posts
'Entidad Urbanistica' - 1 posts
La Zenia - 0 posts
Looking for Long Term Let - 2 posts
EOS mini convention on Costa Blanca !! - 25 posts
What is the longest long term rent commonly available? - 4 posts
stitched up tight can we cancel the contract? - 1 posts
Easy Jet credit card - 6 posts
Hi - new to Alfaix- near Los Gallardos - 3 posts
window security grills help - 4 posts
Off-plan delays - 21 posts
Extra tax for those who live on Duquesa Monte - 1 posts
Barbecue Ideas - 12 posts
Electricity switchover - 1 posts
Seat belts, booster seats etc for children ? - 6 posts
Water condition in Marbella - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x