Hello

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by Paddyirishman Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hello everyone. We are Barry and Laura from Dublin and have a 18 month old son called Lee. We have some equity in our house and are looking to upsticks and move to Spain. Not to sure where yet. I am in the biulding trade and my wife is a dental nurse. I look forward to getting to know a few people on here and getting some good advice. From what i've seen so far, this site is just what i need. Thanks.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 9:45 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Barry and Laura

Welcome to Eye on Spain.  There are some great people here who are always happy to share their knowledge and experience.

Best of luck with your Spain plans.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 9:56 AM by SophieRF Star rating in Quesada. 62 posts Send private message

Welcome Paddy Im sure you will find everything you need on this website

All the best with your move

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 11:13 AM by Paddyirishman Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

thanks for the welcome ;)

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 11:42 AM by Paddyirishman Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

We plan to buy small at the start with practically little or no mortgage if possible. We would like to live not far from the beach and main amenities. Both myself and Laura are willing to work whatever it takes to make this work. Laura has plenty of bar experience as well as being a dental nurse. I would look for work during the day and she would look for work evenings etc. We would have around 110k euros to spend from the off. Does anyone think this is possible, or are we just dreaming? Thanks

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 5:15 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Costa Blanca a good spec 2 bed maisonette from 89.600 € so within budget allowing for purchase cost of 10% 

A nice 2 bed maisonette Orihuela Costa from 104.000 € with solar for hot water so modern spec

Otherwise a range of 1/2 bed apartments

So the answer to the query is yes

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 7:07 PM by Paddyirishman Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks for the reply.
In relation to your answer, If we were to buy a 2 bed for 89000 for example.
What extra costs are involved?
Thanks in advance.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 7:27 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

You should allow for circa 10% on top for costs which includes the 7% IVA [ VAT] they charge on property sales

If you have a mortgage then it could cost you circa 2% more

Then there is the furniture but at the moment we may be able to help out with some of the cost

If you have a good deposit circa 30/40% then there are some good mortgages with interest free periods.....really just like at home

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 8:27 PM by Paddyirishman Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks again Brian.
After reading through this site , we are thinking of:
(A) Remortgaging house in Dublin for 100k or so
(b) Letting our house in Dublin.
(c) Taking out a long term rental in Spain for a year or so (if possible?) to get a feel for the place.
(d) Find work which suits us both.
(e) Buy a 2 bedroom for  100-120k with 60-70 deposit in the locality.

How does this sound?

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 9:24 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

[a] to [e] is really a personal decision and also a financial one which only you can make

Some think it best to ' just buy and go' others ' rent first'

If you want a mortgage then you need to get that fixed up based on your Dublin jobs ,as if you go to Spain with no job and then try to get a mortgage you have no employment history and like Dublin the banks do not want to lend

One problem is that the more options you have the more difficult it is to make a decision!!

I am UK based but from what I hear the Dublin residential property market seems to have  good long term prospects after a long boom!!

Whilst I am not a financial adviser and no expert in Dublin property values in the many different locations , from what I hear I would suggest  that you think very carefully about selling your Dublin home ,if you can sort out your 'life style ambitions ' without a sale 

[e] with say a 30% deposit and a good period of interest only mortgage may be a compromise option  and keep your Dublin home 

This message was last edited by rowlandsbb on 3/30/2008.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2008 12:38 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I personally think you would be wise to keep your house if you can.

My advice would be to do your figures carefully before you go down the remortgaging road.  Make sure the rent you receive will cover the mortgage and factor in any worse case scenarios.  Any shortfalls you will have to pay and it may be sometime before you are both earning enough to cover this.

Choose your agent well, we didn't and lost 6 months rental when he kept the monies he had received in advance.

It is also very rare to have one renter move out and another move in so there will be a month or so between rental periods.  Can you afford to pay the mortgage?

In Spain you won't be offered a rental for more than 11 months as over this period of time you have security of tenure.

As you're not sure on if and where you want to settle down it may be more reaslistic to go for shorter rentals.

As with buying there are plenty of rentals around so you should be able to get a good deal.

When you do decide you want to buy then another thing you should factor in to the buying expenses is how much it is going to cost to run it yearly.

The biggest charge can be if you are on an urbanisation as these charges can be quite high depending on the facilities available.

If you have a community pool which is open all year round then you are going to pay more than one which is only open for 4/5 months of the year.  If they employ a gardener or street cleaner then this also has to be paid for plus the lighting in communial areas.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is health insurance.  Are you going to take out private cover?

All I can suggest is that you read all the different message boards and then ask questions.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2008 7:12 PM by Paddyirishman Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks semi.
I've taken note of everything you've said.........

Like 0      
01 Apr 2008 10:28 AM by seamus kilcock Star rating in Co Kildare, Ireland. 15 posts Send private message

Hi Paddy

The advice given so far is very good. I own a 2 bed apartment near Marbella.

I would make one observation - the outdoor pools are generally not heated so are really only useful for 6 months of the year - for us adults!

However my grand children have just come back from my Marbella apartment and were in the pool every day. The young ones don't notice the water temp unlike us adults!

I live 30Km from Dublin in the Royal County & work in West Dublin and I agree with those who say you should rent your Dublin home initially. Rentals just now are good in Dublin for home owners.

Take one step at a time.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2008 1:30 PM by tired of waiting Star rating in navan,ireland.. 100 posts Send private message

What part of the Royal County are you from Seamus ? As you can see I too live in the Royal County....................

Good luck Paddyirishman with whatever you decide !!!

Helen

Like 0      
01 Apr 2008 9:28 PM by Paddyirishman Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks Seamus.
 Called the letting company today, just to find out rates etc.
The ball is rolling as they say.

Btw,
Ever since we mentioned this to friends and family, we've had people knocking the idea. But, believe me when i say that we are going to take the plunge no matter what. Was it the same for everyone else when they first mentioned moving???

Thanks again to everyone.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Selling UK property - 10 posts
Driving to Spain from England - 12 posts
Wanted Baby safety/stair gate - Costa Blanca - 4 posts
Internet Access? - 53 posts
free prescriptions? - 3 posts
Will the EX Rate ever go back up? - 270 posts
Help with Subrogated Mortgage Info - 19 posts
25 thousands here! - 6 posts
Barbeques - 4 posts
english teachers in almeria - 0 posts
coming to almeria - 4 posts
some advice please - 1 posts
Repayment of Deposits - 3 posts
Buying Agents ??? - 17 posts
Manilva/Sotogrande "Disneyland" - 2 posts
Arenal Golf, Benalmadena - 8 posts
Reaching the 25 thousands!! - 5 posts
recommendation for breakfast - 2 posts
Letting Agents. - 1 posts
Van Hire company - 0 posts
moving and working in spain - 2 posts
Winter in spain - 1 posts
Balcon Al Mar - 0 posts
Property network Benalmedina Spain - 0 posts
investment - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x