HOW TO CHANGE ENGLISH NIE TO IRISH NIE?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Sep 2017 7:46 PM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

Does anybody know how I can change my NIE obtained in the UK  to an Irish NIE but keeping the same NIE number. Is it possible? I went to the relevant office in Jaen but they told me that to change the passport I would have to change the NIE number which would be a major, major problem as I married a spanish girl, bought a house here, started a language academy, bought a car etc etc etx all under a UK NIE number. If things go pear shaped after Brexit I am going to be in a mess although I have two passports. Irish and UK. So now I want to change everything over to an Irish NIE without if possible changing the number. When I went to the Jaen office the only thing I could think of was to ask them to photocopy my Irish passprt and put it in the file along with my UK NIE number. Has anybody out there done anything like this successfully?

Like 0      
18 Sep 2017 9:59 PM by broph Star rating. 147 posts Send private message

There is no such thing as an Irish NIE or UK NIE. From my understanding, your NIE ( Numero Identifacacion Extranjero) remains the same forevermore and is unique to you as an individual irrespective of your nationality.  Brexit should have no bearing on your current NIE number.

Whilst Brexit continues to be uncertain in regards how it is going to affect UK Ex- Pats living or travelling within Spain, your current NIE Number will not be an issue for you.

However, you should consider how you yourself classify your own nationality i.e. UK citizen or Irish citizen as this is what will have a bearing on the issue of Brexit and EU rulings. Travel and living in Spain etc.

Like 0      
19 Sep 2017 6:57 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I let my UK passport lapse.  I have Irish nationality too.    I just made an application to renew my EU Registration (green card) using my Irish PP.    No problem.  New card, with existing NIE was issued    

I wil ask at police station this morning if same would apply to just an NIE certificate

PS   Just confirmed what I posted was correct, and you of course keep the NIE you had

This message was last edited by johnzx on 19/09/2017.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2017 1:32 PM by DuncanThickett Star rating. 80 posts Send private message

As far as I am aware a Spanish NIE (Numero Identifacacion Extranjero) is uniquely Spanish. There is no such thing as a UK or Irish (Numero Identifacacion Extranjero) in Spain. It’s not like ebay ‘’take your pick’’.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2017 10:20 PM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Friends - 1 posts
Thermal imaging or something similar to find water leaking from ceiling. - 3 posts
Hello - 5 posts
Mis-sold Spanish mortgages - 5 posts
Mis-sold Mortgage claims in Spain - 0 posts
What is the Legality of doubling our community fees at the AGM. - 17 posts
A song from Barcelona metro - 0 posts
neighbouring land - 3 posts
Listing of Town - 2 posts
Warning: Lawyers are never appointed by Courts - 2 posts
Locked Spanish safe - 7 posts
Informe de Evaluation de Los Edificios IEE - 4 posts
Solutions for illegal properties: Judges say - 2 posts
Pair of Loungers for Sale €60 - 0 posts
Residencia - 2 posts
AIR CON meters - 0 posts
long term rental agents in Nerja - 4 posts
Rental in montanosa - 4 posts
Movistar/Telefonica - 9 posts
Mobile Home - 4 posts
English speaking gestor in Murcia or Fortuna - 0 posts
La Renta 2017 - 3 posts
Uk Tv free - 1 posts
Flooding - 0 posts
Perritos de raza pura Bulldog francés listo. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x