Hola! Newbie looking to move to Gran Canaria

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Mar 2017 12:40 PM by RachyPachy Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hola!

I would love to move out to Gran Canaria. I have visited here many times over the last 10 years and as a result of some life changing decisions recently I have the opportunity to move away from England.

I am 36, recently single, no children and have decent equity in a house in the UK.

I am a qualified accountant, but I don't work in accounts, I am a Commercial & Planning Manager in a large UK retailer dealing with the delivery of products to our customers. I currently to not speak Spanish other than ordering food in a restaurant! I believe this will make it very difficult for me to get a professional job in Gran Canaria. Is this assumption correct?

I am also on a 3 months notice period in my job, which will add to my difficulties of getting a job out in GC as I don’t think anyone will wait that long, so I may have to hand in my notice here before securing a job out there. Generally notice periods out there seem to be 2 weeks!

I am planning to learn Spanish to increase my chances of getting a professional job in GC but this will take some time.

Having said all this, I have also recently embarked on working towards a new career in Fitness and Wellbeing. I have improved my health and fitness immensely over the last 2 years and I am now a qualified Fitness Instructor and Zumba Instructor, working towards becoming a Personal Trainer too! This is the work I want to do, it is my passion, but I think it would be extremely difficult to start this up as a freelance business out in GC without speaking the language or having the networks or contacts out there yet.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of either of these two professions out in Gran Canaria or generally in Spain?

I have been looking into the cost of renting and living out in GC, I think I would need to earn an absolute minimum of 1,000 euros to live in very basic accommodation, pay for living expenses and fund a car. I have not found any information on how much fitness instructors/PTs can earn on the island. I suspect it to be very low if working in a gym or for a hotel, which is why I want to do freelance fitness work, working for myself. Are there any particular issues or pitfalls I need to be aware of working freelance in Spain?

Any advice on these topics or general advice for Brits living in GC would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Rach

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

IKEA - 2 posts
ILLEGAL SQUATTERS - 26 posts
Late starter for a Spanish mortgage - 16 posts
Drummer wanted - 0 posts
This is the latest police advice to visitors in Spain: - 0 posts
Villa Rental Southern Spain (Costa Calida region) - 0 posts
HELP - LOOKING FOR NEW BUSINESSES - 0 posts
Dog Friendly Beach Fuengirola - 0 posts
Hi all newbie er - 5 posts
Club House - 2 posts
Hi All - 0 posts
Hire a car for the Month of May for €100.... - 1 posts
Month rental - 1 posts
HACIANDA DEL ALAMO GOLF RESORT - 3 posts
Ceiling fans - 2 posts
Long Term Rental rules and advice - 7 posts
Water heater whistles - 12 posts
Hello - 2 posts
Hola! New and moving to Spain!!(Tenerife Los cris) - 2 posts
Real Ale Orihuela Costa - 8 posts
Ziggy - 6 posts
Property Purchase has gone wrong! - 98 posts
Well water - 15 posts
Fire place issue - 11 posts
electric bill - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 1

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x