When is a bank in Spain not a bank and won't take my money

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Feb 2013 4:18 PM by lifeinvejer Star rating in Costa de la Luz. 16 posts Send private message

I went into a branch of Uni Caja in my local town this morning to pay a community fee since the community bank account is held with this bank. Stood in front of the quick transaction counter - making payments that sort of thing. Waited a couple of minutes with no one in front of me until the bank employee was ready to deal with me. So ..... I gave him the 120 euros along with the account number. As he proceeded to enter the details I said that I also needed a receipt with my name on it so I can prove at the meeting tomorrow I have paid and thus vote.

Oh he says sorry cant give you a receipt as we only issue receipts between 8:30 am and 10:00am and handed me back the money. I short dialogue ensured about why was this a problem and since the bank was still open ( it was about 12pm at the time ) why could he not do it. Sorry but that's the rules he said.....

Speechless I left the bank ( or maybe it's a fake one as they clearly don't want to take people's money for their customers)

Does anyone know why the likes of Unicaja are behaving in this ridiculous manner?

Like 0      
26 Feb 2013 4:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have been aware of many banks (of all types) that have had the same policy.

Although not being give a receipt would seem to be a misunderstanding, as every bank would issue a receipt that money has been paid in.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2013 4:51 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

i know what it is

they can only take a certain kind of payment between a certain time and put it into the system.

so chances are he was taking the money to put it into the system the following morning (which is just a nice thing to do)

but they cant give yo a reciept for it until the next day.

i had it many years ago with somethign really stupid.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
27 Feb 2013 10:36 AM by vantage Star rating in Murcia. 43 posts Send private message

vantage´s avatar

Many Spanish banks have a similar policy I'm afraid.....

Like 0      
27 Feb 2013 8:21 PM by SandrainAlgorfa Star rating in Algorfa, Costa Blanc.... 19 posts Send private message

SandrainAlgorfa´s avatar

It's standard policy that the banks will only take cash payments between the hours of 8.30 and 11.00am Monday to Thursday. Even if it's your own bank, if you want to do transactions outside those hours, you have to do them by card or present your bank book so the funds can come directly out of the account.

I had a problem last year, paying the SUMA for my car, and my neighbour's, who was in the UK at the time. He'd left me the cash, as his bill hadn't arrived before they returned to the UK. After two days of queueing, only to find the cash payments stopped before I reached the front desk, I went into my own bank, paid his cash into my account, then paid both SUMA bills directly from the account. Crazy, I know, but that's how they do it here.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hola from Algorfa, Costa Blanca - 3 posts
Income tax threshold - 11 posts
CAR HIRE FROM FARO - 0 posts
Living in an Almacen ..... is this legal? - 9 posts
Utilities - 26 posts
Pool Safety - suggestions please - 9 posts
Sun - satellite outages - possible interruption to signal - UK TV Costa Blanca - Calida - 2 posts
Lowest Price Wireless Internet - 0 posts
In the Alpujarra - 0 posts
Summer Car Hire - 0 posts
can anyone help - 1 posts
can anyone help please - 0 posts
can anyone help please - 0 posts
hi can anyone help please - 1 posts
Car tax 2013 - 3 posts
Buying Fish in the Supermarket - 8 posts
Living in El Galan - 2 posts
Kristina Szekely Real Estate filing for Bankruptcy - 0 posts
Whats the "Coolest solution" to Air Con - Inverters or Non Inverters - 5 posts
Bacchus on the Oasis estate, Los Alcazares. Great food - 13 posts
Capital Gains Tax - 37 posts
Property tax advice - 4 posts
Wildlife in Axarquia - 0 posts
Falling pound, but a silver lining - 25 posts
A building not conforming to current standards, what does this mean? - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x