moving to spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jun 2012 7:31 PM by woowoo Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

hi my name is wendy and i live in the west country with my husband whom has now retired.we were thinking of moving to spain soon.any reasons why we should'nt

Like 0      
01 Jun 2012 9:17 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Welcome, Bienvenidos.

As you are retired and not looking for work I can see no reason whatsoever for not moving here.  I would suggest renting to start for several reasons, one so you can be mobile and look for a place you like and two to see how the financial situation in Spain pans out.  Loads of countries are having financial difficulties at the moment, Spain more than others although UK doesn't seem to be doing so well either.  Another reason for renting is that you may not like it as much as you think or you find that you are missing family a little too much.  We actually came here for 10 years (with a holiday home) before deciding to move permanently.  It is now 9 o'clock in the evening here, we have just come in from the garden where we ate our dinner in glorious weather, surrounded by flowers and bushes and chatting to neighbours as they walked past.  A lovely place to be but make sure it is where you want to be before making life-changing decisions.  The best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Like 0      
01 Jun 2012 9:56 PM by marlowjen Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

We agree with previous post. Do rent first! We owned a property south of Barcelona for 8 years or so, decided the area was not quite for us and moved much further south to Cadiz Province 7 months ago. We have actually rented two properties in the Jerez area but think we have now found a special property in Jerez, but we are still renting as we are (very active) 70 year olds! Everyone I am sure thinks we are crazy but if you are not happy (with landlords etc) you can always move on. Admittedly not for everyone,
but we love it and the way the Spanish economy is going we are loathe to buy again.

Go for it but DO rent first and if possible for 6 months or so to experience summer and winter because it can get very cold at night in the winter and Spanish houses or many, are just not built quite like UK houses!

This pm at 18.00 we shot down to the Costa Ballena for a swim, then a drink overlooking the sea and that can't be bad, can it?

Wishing you the best of luck!

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 7:55 AM by woowoo Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi Guys.Thanks for your advice.we will be arriving Fuengirola on the 20th june for one week.we have apponitments to view some propertys to rent long term.some in Mijas Golf that looks nice.most of the agents said its 11 months let.but i will have a good look around to see if we can get 6 months at a time.Hope we meet some nice people like yourselfs.wendy x

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 8:13 AM by marlowjen Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

We lived in N Cornwall for many happy years when the children were growing up. We have friends who have just bought in Mijas Pueblo after like us moving down from the north east of Spain. Have a great time.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 8:24 AM by woowoo Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi Marlowjen.we live in the west country somerst.we've looked at so many place on line don't know where to go.we won't be having a car so we need easy access to shops etc.near beach husband likes fishing i like baking cup cakes and cake pops so might be able to sell a few lol.any ideas please. wendy

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 8:35 AM by marlowjen Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

If you are ever in Jerez do get in touch. This city is fabulous with lovely quiet beaches which go on for miles only 25 minutes drive away. We have always loved this part of Spain and maybe another suggestion is try to be near the railway station as the trains are great here, very cheap with the 5€ ish oap card (over 60's) and we use them a lot, traveling to Seville, Cordoba etc, both places we love.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 8:52 AM by woowoo Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you Marlowjen.i just looked at jerez it looks lovely maybe ill look later to see if there are any rental propertys.kind regards wendy x

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 10:20 AM by marlowjen Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

One thing I forgot to mention is when renting if an apartment, do try and get a top floor or attico as tiled floors are very noisy and we have a very nice Spanish family at the moment above and the small child goes to bed with them and this can be 01.00 or fiesta time much later! We have learnt this from experience as the last thing one wants at that time of night is a ball being bounced on a tiled floor or even high heels clicking away!!!! We are moving into to house (no one upstairs by choice!!!) Also if a busy area check if the windows are double glazed for the winter or can be partially opened in the summer, as where we are they are either closed or fully open, seems odd not to have catches on to allow the partial opening but the very nice apartment which it is, is over 10 years old, but we only have only 4 more weeks to go here, thank goodness!!!!

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 10:32 AM by marlowjen Star rating. 73 posts Send private message

Might as well go the whole hog and suggest you get somewhere with an electrical water heater as the normal gas bottles are very heavy to move around and replace. Also not all landlords, English and Spanish realize or choose to, get the gas boilers serviced yearly which they should now as it is the law! We are moving to an all electricl house with solar roof panels.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 6:21 PM by woowoo Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks Marlowjen for all your sound advice.points are all written down.I think most of the propertys we will be looking at.are not very old so hopeful there all electric.i don't like gas at the best of times let alone in a differant country.kind regards wendy x

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 7:25 AM by frills Star rating in Kingsteignton Devon. 9 posts Send private message

Hi woowoo,you`ll have to let me know how you get on,yours seems to be the closest case to mine that I`ve read about on the forum.We`re also from the west country(Devon in our case).We`re due to retire in 4 or 5 years time,consequently,for the last few years I`ve been trying to do as much research as I can regarding moving to Spain.I have to say that all the comments that I`ve seen on your request so far seem to tie in with everything sensible that I`ve seen so far.We`ve done a couple of visits over,and I must say that the area we have been most impressed with so far is the little village of Sucina,in Murcia,it looked good to us originally,as it`s about the same distance from the sea,as we are now,also the same distance from the country(el campo),the Moors in our case,and we absolutely loved it.All the best,and let me know how you get on Regards,C

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 8:43 AM by landsker Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Make sure you have decent heating as well as air-con. It can be blooming chilly in the winter even on the Costa del Sol!

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 8:56 AM by plumbjan Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

No good reasons not to move to Spain, if you go to an area away from the holiday zones, Im approx 60k from the coast, dont get the misbehaving drunks here, and a wide chice of eateries prices are lower than the coast, Spanish is the main language thats the only drawback but I can get by ,  I find that a visit to the doctor or hospital quite easy and when given an appointment for the hospital the time between seeing the doc and attending hospital is short and I can still remember what Im going for, the hospitals are clean and well equiped . 

This message was last edited by plumbjan on 09/06/2012.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 9:47 AM by woowoo Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi everyone woowoo here.thank you all for your advice will keep you informed when we get back from our holiday in spain and let you know are findings x

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 9:51 AM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

If you are a spanish speaker then take a look at buying inland. Prices are as hell of a lot cheaper. We have a holiday home in the town of Marmolejo in Jaen. It is in an excellent location for access to and from cities such as Cordoba (40 minutes) Granada (1 and 1/2 hours or Seville (2 hours). Marmolejo has 7500 inhabitants and is surrounded by Olive groves. There is a German family and myself (Irish) and family who already have holiday homes here but let me stress you need to speak some Spanish. People are friendly. If Golf is your thing then Marmolejo may be for you (If Johann Cruyff and friends are able to continue with their plans). Check out the 'key resorts' website.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 9:57 AM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

just copy (ctrl and c) ...............key resorts "la dehesilla"............. into google (exactly).

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 9:58 AM by woowoo Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi thanks for advice.we dont want to go to far from the shops or beach dont want to have to drive.dont speak spanish at moment but learning few words daily.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 10:30 AM by plumbjan Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi WooWoo driving is easy here apart from some of the locals only learnt to drive on a donkey cart, plenty of shops in land in fact im 15 to 20 mins from a massive shopping complex, with a tram running into Murcia city every 10 mins from there, the local suprmarkets stock all you would need ,as was said by another post its cheaper inland fuel is 1.27.7 ltr,  Im from the west country Ivybridge, you enjoy your holiday and give it some serious thought.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2012 10:36 AM by faulky444 Star rating in Rossendale, Lancashi.... 399 posts Send private message

Family, if you have some you will miss them. That's the only reason I wouldn't move to Spain as all the other aspects of life in Spain far outweigh remaining in the UK. The climate on it's own is a good enough excuse. If you also have health issues or potential health issues then Spain might be expensive and difficult to get appropriate care if you don't speak Spanish. Two biggies for me and is why I split my time between the UK and sunny Espania. Jon Faulkner

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

temp van insurance - 3 posts
Testimonial - 1 posts
sattelite tv dish with a sky box - 8 posts
Malaga long term rental - 0 posts
police stopping uk cars at malaga airport - 82 posts
The latest global economic scenarios - 3 posts
Generic Bank Guarantees - 34 posts
landlines adsl internet access 24/7 - 3 posts
alicante airport transfer - 20 posts
Corvera Airport - 13 posts
kitchen furniture - 8 posts
New administrative requirements for the EU member state residence certificate - 57 posts
Cede the Rights - 1 posts
Spain to close up to 30 state-run airports - 5 posts
Deposit refunded on El Patio - miracle by Costaluz Lawyers - 11 posts
Occupation Licence - 12 posts
Starting a market stall in marbella - 2 posts
CANON DIGITAL SLR KIT - including Wide Angle lense. Great for Property Shoots. - 0 posts
FORD FIESTA 1.4 DIESEL, 2007 PRIVATE SALE - 0 posts
Pick pockets in Vera almeria - 23 posts
SMART A FRAME TOW BAR - 3 posts
Making a Denuncia (crime report) in Spain - 0 posts
Learn Spanish - 0 posts
Someone has advertised my property for sale on eye on spain!!!! - 19 posts
UK THREATENS PLANS TO RESTRICT SPANISH AND OTHER EU MEMBERS FROM ENTRY - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 56

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x