Portuguese motorway taxes

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Apr 2012 9:04 PM by mark williams Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I realise this will only be relevant to those travelling from portugal into Spain. However having recently done so from faro airport to the costa de la Luz, where we have a house, I was informed that Portugal have announced a new motorway toll tax. But you can only pay for it by finding a open post office within 5 days of your trip. Why they don't have tolls is a good question. Does anyone know more about these tolls, how can they be paid, etc?

Like 0      
30 Apr 2012 10:44 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

This was discussed a while back (can't find the thread though) and apparently you can buy the gadget pre-loaded at one of the service stations in Portugal or a post office.  Portuguese registered cars can buy in advance or pay at a post office within 2 days of using the toll.  There are no pay stations at the toll booths so the pre-loaded ones are the only way for foreign cars to legally use them.

Like 0      
01 May 2012 5:47 PM by mark williams Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks thats useful.

Like 0      
01 May 2012 8:48 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I wouldn't bother stressing about the toll if you have a non-Portuguese registered car.  I used it there and back a couple of months ago and didn't bother paying and I didn't have any problems.  It just seemed like too much effort trying to pay.

The only cars you see on the Algarve toll road are Spanish cars, and I doubt any of them have paid, knowing what the Spanish are like.

The European Commission have recently ruled that the toll road is actually illegal, so another reason not to bother paying.  More info here:

www.algarveresident.com/0-45978/algarve/tolls-are-illegal-says-commission

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
01 May 2012 9:01 PM by mark williams Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks, link very interesting. Like many people I suspect, I hired a car at faro airport, car rental had signs up saying "new toll...on a22", I tried to find a way of paying, but my need to use Portuguese roads was simply to get to and from our house in Spain. Why the authorities expect road users to pull off the road, find a post office in a town to pay something like 3-5 euros worth of toll to get to Spain is beyond me! Not very bothered about paying, quite happy to if they actually find a vaguely convenient way of paying, just wondering whether anyone actually bothered. Good point about Spanish!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Solmar near Murcia Airport - 7 posts
Newspapers in Costa Del Sol - 2 posts
You Have Arrived at Heathrow Airport. Now What? - 4 posts
FAST Adsl Costa Del Sol - 9 posts
Insurance - 5 posts
Debt Recovery in Spain - 2 posts
POSTCODE CORVERA AIRPORT ? - 6 posts
furnishings - 0 posts
As a Pensioner non resident but spending a great deal of time here. Can I register with a doctor/ - 22 posts
Recliner Chair repair in Alicante/Torrevieja area? - 0 posts
A question re. our house? - 20 posts
LOOKING FOR ROOM - 0 posts
Summer School at Estepona Youth Theatre - 0 posts
CAN AM SPORTS SPYDER BIKE FOR SALE !!!!! - 0 posts
Caravan Wanted - 0 posts
Legal Action against Debtors - 2 posts
BUS INFORMATION FROM MALAGA TO SABANILLAS - 1 posts
autonomo - 16 posts
Maria Castro and Costa Luz Lawyers - testimonial from Paul and Wendi Causer - 3 posts
Back in Espania 2 moz - 0 posts
Recovery of Community Debts - 42 posts
What Does awaiting Title Deeds mean - 27 posts
Use of CCTV on Communities - breach of privacy or not?? - 25 posts
Nuisance phone calls - 4 posts
Help with air con? Puerto De Mazarron - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x