Is it a good idea to go for buy to let now?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Apr 2012 7:56 PM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

I agree with cbrammeld.  Buy to let in Spain? NO, NO and thrice NO!  Look at what's happening there at the moment. We have three properties in the UK...rented out, no problems, and looking for a fourth right now.

Yes, Spain is much more 'romantic' but it's your money (livelihood) you're talking about....

Like 0      
13 Apr 2012 8:21 PM by figo79 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

I agree with you. do you know much tax I should pay as an expat (landlord) to the Inland revenue? I mean what's the percentage? is it 10% of what I recieve as rent? or how does it work? 

Like 0      
13 Apr 2012 8:52 PM by trowell1 Star rating. 150 posts Send private message

Hi Figo

With the way the world economy is at the moment I would be careful about borrowing money to "invest" anywhere.

I can't see property prices reducing in thr UK much, but Spain could easily see a sharp slide.

If you have 25k, I would go out there and make some silly offers on property you could use or just rent out.

I have a budget of 50k (cash) and am going to Spain in a couple of weeks to find a bargain for family use and if I can rent it out for 6 weeks a year during UK school hols it should pay for itself.

Good Luck

Like 0      
13 Apr 2012 9:22 PM by cazzy Star rating in Inland Andalucia. 180 posts Send private message

Many people are accepting silly offers at the moment, a client of ours just accepted 50k on a house originally advertised at 130k. Speak to your estate agent, they probably know which sellers will accept low offers!!

Like 0      
13 Apr 2012 10:20 PM by figo79 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

ok regarding the UK ! I can see there are lot of cheap 1 bed flats for retired people. Do you think these are good invesment? or are these flats difficult to let out? I know that these flats are for retired people only to live in. One of the Agnecies that I called told me I can buy some of them as an a non-retired buyer. 

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 11:06 AM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

Hi Figo, only just came across this thread, so did you secure anything yet?

Even in better times Spain has never been anywhere close to UK in terms of achievable rental yields.

Couple of things to be aware of as you mentioned 1 bed flats for retired people: 

(a) Sounds like you have a 25% deposit which is great but there's no BTL lender in UK who would lend against these type of properties.

(b) Even if you had the money to buy outright, there will generally be restrictive covenants that don't allow sub-letting, hence there's no legal scope for investor landlords.

There are lots of different ways to make money in the current UK market (or alternatively lose money I might add!). I source investment properties primarily in the midlands area and have contacts nationwide but wouldn't dream of flouting forum rules so wont post any contact info. If you want to drop me a pm I'll simply recommend you visit a specific property forum where the type of advice you seek is freely available via people from all types of backgrounds with a broad range of experience.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

the problem with the ENDESA ON LINE WEBSITE! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!! - 15 posts
BARGAIN - Stunning White Sofa + Matching Furniture For Sale - 0 posts
Edinburgh Crystal Decanters - 2 posts
help - 0 posts
help - 4 posts
best bank for direct debits for utilities - non resident ! - 5 posts
Driving to costa blanca from calais - 7 posts
Car Malaga hire - 6 posts
quesada to gibralter - 10 posts
El calon - 3 posts
Help with Santa Greenhills - 4 posts
FURNITURE WANTED - Costa Del Sol - Elvira Area - 0 posts
health care coin area - 0 posts
car for sale - 0 posts
FREE Gatwick/Valencia flights 11/04/12 ~ 09/05/12 - 0 posts
Car insurance question - 5 posts
Taxis from Malaga - 8 posts
Kitten Wanted - 1 posts
Car Wanted! - 2 posts
As in the UK so it shall be in Spain... - 9 posts
Pope Benedict meets the Polizei - 0 posts
for sale - 0 posts
best fish and chips - 42 posts
water and electric installation - 5 posts
Drives and paths - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x