Nightmare tennants in commercial unit

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by robinspain Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi
 My wife and i own a small local in Alicante province, and at the end of February we signed a 5 year contract to rent the local to a Dutch couple.
     Last week we received a fine from Iberdrola of 2119 euros, as someone had tampered with the electric supply.
 The electrician got in touch with us to explain that he had been contracted by the dutch couple to Up the Potencia in the local, and when they didnt pay the final amount outstanding, he did not present the "bolletin". it would then appear the Dutch couple, or maybe the electrician connected the electric supply. This lead to an inspection by Iberdrola who have then send the fine to us.
 The fine is based on an estimated usage for 2011 giving the total of 2011 euros. In 2011 the local was not used by anyone at all, and as such there was no consumtion in 2011.

My questions are..
  How can we claim the money back from the dutch couple, and also can we try and get the fine reduced by iberdrola as their calculations appear to be inaccurate.

On top of this, we have also been now contacted by a builder who was contracted by the dutch couple to carry out some minor work within the local, building interior walls, tilling etc etc. This builder also tells me that he hasnt been paid, and he is owed 3000 euros.
  Today the builders lawyer phoned me to tell me that they were going before a judge on Thursday to start legal proceeidngs to recover this money, and if the Dutch couple did not pay up, then i would be liable, as owner of the local. Can this be true???

In both cases we were at no time involved in getting the trades in to do work.

Im quite amazed at what has happened here over the last week or two, and we are only one month into a 5 year contract so you can imagine how we feel.

Im sure there are some lawyers who view this forum and so would appreciate any answers

Rob

Like 0      
23 Mar 2012 5:23 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

What a nightmare!

They sound like they are going to be very complicated tenants.

Have you approached them about these bills?  What has their response been?

I assume you must have a contract in place?

Send Maria de Castro (the lawyer) a private message and ask her to look at this thread and see if she can give an opinion on what to do.

Best of luck.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
24 Mar 2012 2:42 PM by MizzFixit Star rating in Sunny Marbs. 46 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
MizzFixit´s avatar

Iberdrola will have calculated the 2011 according to a set formula set by the Ministry of Energy.  I have dealt with a case similar to this (in a residential property) and we proved that their property had not been used, by showing them the consumation of water, provided by the water company.  They will then reduce the debt.

www.mizzfixit.com

I organise, you relax

Like 0      
24 Mar 2012 3:38 PM by robinspain Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi

Thanks for the comments,

i visited the OMIC office yesterday and they also said i should send a letter to Iberdrola to prove the local was empty last year.

So thats one of my jobs today, and fingers crossed we can get the fine down a lttle anyway

they are due to pay the next months rent in a few days time so that will be a sign as to whether we have any more problems with them or not

Rob

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lope de Vega school in Benidorm - 3 posts
Dam it!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10 posts
Modball Rally - 3 posts
Keeping your car in Spain!!!! - 5 posts
Natural Gas costs? - 13 posts
iPad (1st Gen) 32GB wifi +3G for sale - 0 posts
Driving from UK to Salou Spain via France - 15 posts
AIR CONDITIONING UNIT - 0 posts
My right for a translator in a Spanish court - 5 posts
Cocoon Telecom/Arrakis - 1 posts
IT'S APPEARS NOT AS STRAIGHT FORWARD AS THEY SAY, EVEN WITH A LEGAL BANK GUARANTEE!! - 67 posts
Space in Van going to Spain. - 1 posts
UK TV for my holiday home. - 16 posts
General Strike and Flights from UK - 0 posts
Sell my property! - 7 posts
Is it legal? - 4 posts
Asking for help, be more specific - 0 posts
Bad tenants - 21 posts
Wanted - 1 posts
Driving from Santander to Murcia, need Hotel stop over - 6 posts
Help please - 0 posts
SPAM MESSAGES ON EOS BLOG - 1 posts
Holidays in Spain the easy way.... - 21 posts
Hello Everyone! - 0 posts
PRUNA SEVILLE - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x