Spanish Driving Licence renewal, how long.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Dec 2011 12:00 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I applied for renewal of my D/L on 11.11.11 (it expires on 26 Dec)  It was  sent through the computer system by a medical centre, I have the three valid confirmation for driving in Spàin, but I need the licence before 10th Jan as I am going on holiday and want to be able to hire a car.  

Does anyone have recent experience of how long the new DL takes to arrive?

And, as I will try to chase it up,  does anyone have a telephone number of Traffico where I could call ?

Thanks  

Happy Christmas all

Like 0      
21 Dec 2011 5:51 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Around 3 to 4 weeks normally, as Xmas is this weekend and due to bank holidays and all it could be longer this time of year! Have you not got a piece of paper saying you have applied? Normally that is as valid as your licence for a period of time and you can rent a car with it but always ask the company first.

Joan

Like 0      
21 Dec 2011 6:02 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As you will see it 6 weeks now.

I want to rent in the far east, the piece of paper won't be much good there !!!!

Like 0      
21 Dec 2011 7:43 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Under the old system they normally timed it to arrive just before the old one ran out.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
21 Dec 2011 11:00 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

John, it is Spanish to Spanish or UK to Spanish??

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Dec 2011 8:32 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Justin

It is  a Spanish  DL renewal, expiry date 26 Dec

Like 0      
22 Dec 2011 5:00 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Ah, then I don't know 

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Dec 2011 7:33 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

We had a SIMILAR problem but FINALLY got it sorted after NEARLY two months

This message was last edited by rod on 22/12/2011.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 11:42 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

You may not believe this.

I have been back to the Medical Centre where I did the medical for the DL and made the application for renewal.  They effectively told these things take a while, don’t panic, just wait.

This morning I went to Trafico to see of I could speed things up and surprise, surprise, there was no application in the system.

Back to the medical  centre, yes they had failed to make the application on 11th Nov and on closer inspection of the papers they had given me, I found they had not given me temporary ‘licence’ to cover me whilst I was waiting for the new one. Fortunately the old DL expires in 3 days time, had it already expired, which would normally have been the case (I applied seven weeks before the old one expired)  I would have been driving without a DL and in Spain no in date DL means NO INSURANCE.

They have now made the application, will give me the covering temp DL on 27th and have undertaken to send my DL by courier to Malaysia when it does arrive so I may still be able to rent a car for part of my holiday. There first offer was unbelievably just to refund the fee !

I have lived here 23 years but still I am from time to time staggered by the inefficiency.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 12:55 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I had the pleasure of going for one of these on monday night. First time under the new system where it's all done in the centre. (A lot more sensible than the old system )
Now when I had it done 5 years ago it was blood pressure & eye chart; " Can you read the bottom line " , "No" " then you need glasses to drive " Not a problem as I wore them for definition & clarity when driving , although I don't wear them at other times.

Anyway , went in , took coat off, sat down & we proceeded to fill in the form. Name address, age , height , weight, any illness-no- any operations-no, wear glasses-yes & explained about before so she tested my eyes & said " you have no need of glasses when driving " .Marvellous , 5 years older & my eyes are getting better !

Then in to the other room , photo, signature on pad reader ,sign the form , 3 month temporary authorisation , pay , out the door. My wifes was exactly the same.What happened to checking BP, etc ? I was expecting to do some sort of reflex game or maneouvering the ring along the wire without the bell ringing ? Bit disappointed as I thought it was going to be a lot tougher than previous ones.

When they press the 'send ' button , this is what generates the automatic 3 month temporary permit. If you'd noticed earlier that you didn't have it might have rung thealarm bells ! In fact that is the only piece of paper that I was given  in an envelope.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 1:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Gus

After the medical, forms, photos etc I was given a copy of the medical certificate and  a piece of paper which confirmed that I had applied for a new DL. Although it was not the same as I had been given five years ago, I thought it was an up-dated version.   

The problem was that after six weeks of assurances that all was going through I discovered by visiting Trafico that I was being lied to.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Irrigationof a large plot using a man made lake - 0 posts
Ryanair flights into Murcia - 2 posts
Running a property in Spain. (Non Resident) - 5 posts
Easter week in Malaga - 1 posts
Searching for car hire - 0 posts
hi - 1 posts
Kindle Keyboard - download issues due SIM card - 8 posts
ooking for people tenerife - 0 posts
Farmacias in Trouble - 5 posts
Sol Bank Refuse to Pay Out - 11 posts
Registering on electoral roll UK - 7 posts
Domestic Partner - 4 posts
Blocking of view. - 6 posts
Expats to be 'rescued' from Spain and Portugal!!!! - 187 posts
Happy Christmas, good luck and a prosperous New Year to everyone. - 0 posts
Obligation to purchase share in Cajamar Bank - 6 posts
Generic Bank guarantes-new buyers - 1 posts
Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone - 8 posts
Severe weather warnings in Spain - 0 posts
Butane gas - 14 posts
Morrisons Gibraltar - 2 posts
Electricity Prices Going up 25%?? - 1 posts
volantery contributions needed for the repair of the road at Camino Nicola Estepona - 0 posts
Marble crystalliser? - 2 posts
blue paraffin - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x