What is legal regarding UK cars

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Nov 2011 12:00 AM by twinmummy Star rating in Formentera del segur.... 82 posts Send private message

A long story cut short, my husband was pulled by the police in our UK registered car, We have every intention of getting the car on Spanish plates but we are both out of work and have very little money, My Husband is a metalworker and we have been advertising the fact that he does metal work via car magnets so he can get some work. These come off and on the car like a fridge magnet, not permanent. When the police pulled him over they found that the car was legal but have made a report and sent it to traffico, and said they will be in contact via a letter asking for more info, they saifd that this will probabally lead to a hefty fine, in the thousands, obviously very worried and shocked and if things were not hard enough for us we now have this to figure out. Any help advise, links etc would be much appreciated. We fdid not even know we was doing anything wrong, just wanted to advertise to get some work to pay our way. We have obviously took the magnets off and will not be doing it again, seems a bit extreme when we took them off and said we was not aware, I have seen other UK reg vehciles that have sign writting on them, so is it illegal or is there some clause or way out of this.

If worst comes to the worst and we do incur this hefty fine, does anyone know if the fines here can be paid in instalments, and what happens if you cannot pay the fine, I hope it doesnt go as far as prison, any help would be appreciated I am so worried.

Waiting in anticipation, 

Like 0      
23 Nov 2011 11:22 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

The fine is about 1,000 euros. I think, if you  get stopped again and they check it up they may take the car off you. I know there are  U.K. vans etc with sign writing on them, they will get caught, especially  now the police are looking for money. I don't know how they make you pay this fine as the car is on UK plates, probably embargo your bank account.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2011 3:56 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

What exactly are you being reported for? The magnets, or the UK registration? I don't know anything about these magents, but I can easily see how they'd be illegal - they could fly off and injure a pedestrian or cyclist, for example. Setting that aside, how will Tráfico contact you? Presumably you gave the police a Spanish address? Is it clear that you are advertising for work here in Spain? If so, clearly you are residents - in which case you should not be driving a UK registered vehicle and should have already started the process of re-registering it. Seems to me if there's a fine due, it's more likely for that. If you have not registered as residents, your best bet may be to claim you are only here on holiday, staying in your holiday home, and that the adverts on your car were to advertise services in the UK, and hope that they can't be bothered to persue it any further. Maybe you'll hear nothing more anyway.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hours Per Day?? - 1 posts
Help Needed - 8 posts
Spain is culture - 0 posts
No trial - 0 posts
MODBALL RALLY EUROPE 2012: LONDON-PARIS-ST TROPEZ-VALENCIA-BARCELONA-EIVISSA! - 0 posts
Here We Go! Another Spanish Bank falls Victim to the Property Crash - 0 posts
not too cold, not too hot... any advice - 63 posts
Used car dealers - 1 posts
link-ele.com - 0 posts
Washing machine repair - 2 posts
The elections - 7 posts
rates/community charges but no licence - 3 posts
Reliable, active estate Agent in the Alhaurin de la Torre area - 0 posts
I PHONE 4 FOR SALE ON VODAFONE UK - 5 posts
VW Transporter Van For Sale in Los ALCAZAARES (murcia) ENGLISH PLATED - 0 posts
What's the matter with Spain? - 5 posts
Driving a Spanish car in UK? - 2 posts
end of season on costa blanca - 4 posts
Buying a Car in Spain...Beware - 24 posts
Does my mother have to pay capital gains tax ? - 4 posts
Friday Storms - 2 posts
Tips for a short break in Granada, please! - 2 posts
Income tax for non residents - 37 posts
TEACHING - 1 posts
La ALUMNIA - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x