Shares in a property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jul 2011 12:00 AM by aureol Star rating in lytham StAnnes in la.... 2 posts Send private message

Has anyone successfully sold shares in their property? I have a beach side apartment and although I would lik rto keep it I cannot afford to keep the whole apartment. I thought of offering quarter shares in it which would generate enough for me to keep a quarter share in it. The property has a mortgage attached to it so this is another way of removing this.

Any advice, information greatly appreciated.

Brian

Like 0      
22 Jul 2011 1:19 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hi Brian and welcome to Eye on Spain.

I don't know anyone that has done this although it's a form of fractional ownership which a few agents were pushing for a while here.

You would need a legally binding agreement between all parties concerned regarding who could use the property and when, payment of bills, getting stuff fixed, etc.  What if someone doesn't pay their share of the community fees or maintenance costs?

It could be a lot of hassle to be honest.  I would give it some more thought if I were you

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Jul 2011 10:08 PM by aureol Star rating in lytham StAnnes in la.... 2 posts Send private message

thanks for that Justin. I need to sort out quite a few things from your reply. I am advertyising it at present either as an outright sale or fractional ownership with another avertising medium.

Thanks so much for your reply, I need to do some more homework!

Brian

Like 0      
22 Jul 2011 10:31 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Hi Brian, please be careful and do as much research as you can.  It can be horrible when people sharing a property fall out as well as all of the points that Justin has raised.

A few other things to check out are the additional charges for changing names on mortgages.  Sometimes the provider will insist on cancelling the existing mortgage and applying for a new one - at a % of the total cost - more money.  Tax implications on each person and what happens in default.  All debts in Spain remain with the property not the person, so it could be quite precarious without the legal binding agreement. 

Maybe Smiley or one of EOS other mortgage experts can help you more.  Good luck.

Jane

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cheapest transfer from Alicante airport to Denia area - 4 posts
Bancaja to refund deposits paid by the buyers of AUGIMAR for the developments torresblancas, forum y barlovento - 11 posts
Deposits paid by purchasers of the development Castalla International, covered by a banesto's generic guarantee - 3 posts
Generic Guarantee for 3 Molinos resort undercovered - 5 posts
HOME WANTED FOR A 6 WEEK OLD KITTEN - 2 posts
To Justin - 1 posts
gwenholliday - 1 posts
Frightened to ask really?? - 22 posts
Request: Restaurant Recommendations in Calpe and area - 1 posts
Area of Alhama de Murcia - 3 posts
For Justin the boy - 2 posts
Petition To Stop Travel Insurance Companies Denying Immediate Care To Stoke And Heart Attack Patients - 8 posts
State secondarary school - 4 posts
Bureau de change Torrevieja, at last - 3 posts
Should we have the original Escritura de Compraventa (title deed) if we have completed with no mortgage - 10 posts
Sun beds - 2 posts
CPS check Spain - 5 posts
Tax advice on moving to Spain - 2 posts
sewage! - 6 posts
Moving To Estepona - 1 posts
Currency Exchange - 1 posts
disco equipment - 0 posts
walkie talkies adult - 0 posts
A.D CLAIMS & LITIGATION MANAGEMENT - 2 posts
Big Mat - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x