Is Europe risponsable of my losts?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jul 2011 12:00 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Legal tip 540. Euro-fallacy and Spain´s current situation 
26 May 2011 @ 10:35 

I think of Paul de Grauwe´s statements made in 1998 and wonder what he thinks of current situation of Spain. I guess he thinks that Europeans need to complete the Spanish dream, as it is not a dream we spaniards had alone. 

We dreamt together, let´s work together for it to be completed:

This is a very telling paragraph of De Grauwe´s thinking, written, as you know, back in 1998, before everything started:

Suppose a country, which we arbitrarily call Spain, experiences a boom which is stronger than in the rest of the euro-area. As a result of the boom, output and prices grow faster in Spain than in the other euro-countries. This also leads to a real estate boom and a general asset inflation in Spain. Since the ECB looks at euro-wide data, it cannot do anything to restrain the booming conditions in Spain. In fact the existence of a monetary union is likely to intensify the asset inflation in Spain. Unhindered by exchange risk vast amounts of capital are attracted from the rest of the euro-area. Spanish banks that still dominate the Spanish markets, are pulled into the game and increase their lending. They are driven by the high rates of return produced by ever increasing Spanish asset prices, and by the fact that in a monetary union, they can borrow funds at the same interest rate as banks in Germany, France etc. After the boom comes the bust. Asset prices collapse, creating a crisis in the Spanish banking system.

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/5546/legal-tip-527-on-europe-banks-and-spain.aspx

What do you think?

Cheers,

Maria

Cádiz, Costa de la Luz beach by José Picardo at Flickr.com

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

(Video) Coca Cola Around the World (Bunol and Pamplona too!!) - 2 posts
illegal homes in Spain 3 - 0 posts
Looking for tools - 9 posts
Persistant Kitchen Fruit Flies - 2 posts
Salina Sands - 0 posts
How can so many solicitors get it wrong?? - 3 posts
Citibank Euro Account - 2 posts
Plumbing Issues - 0 posts
We are going to take early retirement to Sunny Spain - 14 posts
illegal homes in spain 2 - 1 posts
not all doom and gloom you know - 9 posts
Finaly got the appartment - 0 posts
Advice required re appeal following case loss - 2 posts
Sorry! Can't answer my phone ... - 5 posts
ILLEGAL HOMES - 6 posts
Spain is Different - 2 posts
I see the Doom & Gloom Merchants have taken over the site again - 77 posts
mega - 0 posts
advice once again please on handing back keys etc. - 10 posts
Community Fees - 0 posts
RECOMMENDATION FOR OUTSIDE WALL PAINT SPRAYER - 0 posts
bungy - 0 posts
lift from airport 9th july 2011 .. help a local ? - 2 posts
Overdue AGM - 0 posts
Re statistics and the Inspectorate Service of the General Council of the Judiciary in Spain - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 1

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x