3G in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by GerryinAlbany Star rating in Albany , New York, U.... 30 posts Send private message

GerryinAlbany´s avatar

Hi! on  our last trip to Costa Blanca I bought a vodafone  sim card off of "EBAY"it was suppose to have internet 3G enabled,but all I could do was make local calls and send text messages. Does anyone  know where I can get a sim card that will let my 3G  functions work on my phone?   Any help is appreciated-thanks!

Like 0      
16 Feb 2011 1:01 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hi;

Just because 3G is enabled doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to use your phone over here,

3G and 3.5G coverage can be very spotty over here. In the area that we live our mobile service is limited to GSM or 2G; no 3G service is available from any service provider.

The same applies to many rural areas.

In fact in our village, with some providers its impossible to make a 2G call or send a text message unless you walk to the end of the street...

I think also it depends on where your sim card originated; if it was from the UK you may not be able to use it in Spain or at least not to its full capability; for instance a Vodafone PAYG USB dongle purchased in the UK will definitely not work outside of the UK.

fb

This message was last edited by foxbat on 16/02/2011.

This message was last edited by foxbat on 16/02/2011.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
18 Feb 2011 10:52 PM by GerryinAlbany Star rating in Albany , New York, U.... 30 posts Send private message

GerryinAlbany´s avatar

Hey fb, thank you! That really explains what was going on with the sim I bought. thanks again!

Like 0      
20 Feb 2011 2:41 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Hi Gerry

In Los Altos you should have no problem with 3g I use vodafone and get a very good signal on 3g and gsm I use a Blackberry Storm and am always on the internet with it

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
20 Feb 2011 4:25 PM by GerryinAlbany Star rating in Albany , New York, U.... 30 posts Send private message

GerryinAlbany´s avatar

Hey Fred ! Thank a lot!  Maybe I had the wrong sim or maybe it was my Nokia Nuron? But the wife has a Blackbarry so next trip I'll get a card for her- glad to hear  if I do it right I can use my phone functions - it would be nice if the GPS  would work!  Ger

Like 0      
20 Feb 2011 6:07 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Hi Gerry

I have used a Nokia N95 and the gps works on that and the Blackberry Storm

Fred

Like 0      
20 Feb 2011 7:38 PM by GerryinAlbany Star rating in Albany , New York, U.... 30 posts Send private message

GerryinAlbany´s avatar

Hey Fred quick question/ Do you get your vodaphone sim online? Or  locally ?  any info is appreciated- thanks again Ger

Like 0      
20 Feb 2011 8:23 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

I got the sim from Phonehouse in Carrefour Torrevieja I also got the Blackberry there theNokia was from O2 in UK but unlocked so just got a sim on contract with Vodafone the Blackberry cost me around 30 euros a month with unlimited internet and GPS  and calls I would not know about text as I never use it but I think there are free

I also use the Blackberry tethered as a Modem for the laptop when I am out with clients. you can get the latest Blackberry free with contract at the moment

This message was last edited by fpegman on 20/02/2011.

This message was last edited by fpegman on 20/02/2011.

Fred

Like 0      
20 Feb 2011 8:57 PM by GerryinAlbany Star rating in Albany , New York, U.... 30 posts Send private message

GerryinAlbany´s avatar

Fred thanks alot! The Carrefour I have actually been in when the wife and I were looking about the area. I wish you well in your business-youve been very helpful- Gerry

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Moving to the states everything must go-make us an offer - 2 posts
Holiday Villa rental - 2 posts
Working Online Section? - 2 posts
Arrow Car Hire Va Va Voom - 4 posts
Want to remortgage my property and need advice - 12 posts
BANK CHARGES - 1 posts
Oil or Gas Central Heating system - 0 posts
Moving To Spain - 1 posts
Private Health Care Plan? - 1 posts
Community Benchmarking - 1 posts
bank guarantees nothing - 2 posts
Legal Situation -Menus in Spanish??? - 12 posts
HANDHELD GPS WANTED - 6 posts
hand held gps - 0 posts
Find the Man in the coffee beans - 18 posts
Iberswitch - 53 posts
Car Hire - 0 posts
posting a picture - 4 posts
La Concha Living estate agency Puerto Banus, Marbella - 0 posts
External blinds in Murcia - 0 posts
BALCONY SAFETY NETS - 1 posts
Hi Im new around here - do you know................ - 4 posts
ladders - 0 posts
High Quality furniture for sale in EV, Murcia - 0 posts
Presidents voting without AGM Permission - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x