Driving UK car in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by Neil Scott Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi, I have a property in Benalmadena which I visit between 2 - 3 mths a year. Two weeks ago I drove UK my car to Spain to use over the summer holidays. I will only be driving the car for maximum 3 mths in the next year so can I leave my car for up to 12 mths and then return it to the UK next year or do I have to remove my car from Spain after 6 mths. Thanks

Like 0      
01 Jul 2010 7:54 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

There are so many UK plated cars driving around, some have been going around for years!

My understanding is that if you are not resident (which you won't be) then it is down to your own insurance, road tax and MOT that will be the issue.  As long as you are covered in all these areas then you should be ok.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
02 Jul 2010 11:11 PM by Jontymellor Star rating in Warrington & Cabo R.... 144 posts Send private message

I copied this out of a local news paper, is so simple, the car requires, all the insurance/MOT/Tax disc, for the country that the number plate is for. no mater where the cars is in the EU.

simple

Foreign registered vehicles

There are a large number of foreign vehicles, both from the EU and other countries,with owners resident in

Spain, which have not been legalised according to Spanish law.

These have been the subject of numerous complaints from residents of all nationalitiesin Benitachell and, recently, in the British press.

The owners of these unregistered vehicles do not pay their vehicle taxes, are untraceable in case of accident or if the vehicle is involved ina crime or offence and, furthermore, the police have no way of monitoring whether the vehicles are insured or roadworthy.

Therefore, from July 1, for one month initially, a campaign will be mounted by Benitachell Local Police to advise drivers and owners of such vehicles who are residents of the procedures necessary to change to the required license plates and

Spanish documentation and, if necessary, report them for offences.

They will also be ensuring that non-resident drivers of foreign registered vehicles have the full and proper documentation, as required by the law in their countries of origin.

More information is available at www.benitachell.es or www.elpoblenou.es

Like 0      
02 Jul 2010 11:36 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I copied this out of a local news paper

Jonty, kindly post the link to this newspaper so I can read it for myself.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2010 8:41 AM by Jontymellor Star rating in Warrington & Cabo R.... 144 posts Send private message

http://www.thepost.es/images/stories/PDFS/pag02.pdf

Have a good read, not a bad paper really,

Like 0      
03 Jul 2010 10:38 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Thanks Jonty, I had various newspapers online saved in a folder on my netbook but hadn't thought of The Post though we get it free in Spain alongwith The Leader, Coastrider, RTN etc.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2010 1:17 PM by Tumbit Star rating in Costa Blanca. 71 posts Send private message

Tumbit´s avatar

It is not necesarrily true to say that all you need is Tax, MOT and Insurance from the country where the car is registered - especially if you are thinking of keeping your car here in Spain throughout the year. In almost all cases you will require a 'Green Card' to be issued by your Insurer to validate it for use overseas, which is only valid for 90 Days (and the small print often says that only 1 90 Day period will be permitted per year ), which leaves you with having to apply for Spanish Insurance - usually no problem taking Spanish Insurance on an English Registered vehicle, but you will then be required to take a Spanish ITV instead of the English MOT, which can bring about a completely different set of problems.

If you are looking for a  legal solution to this I would recommed either buying a Spanish run around, or legally importing and re-registering your vehicle.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2010 1:32 PM by Neil Scott Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice so far. My car will be taxed and MOT'd valid until June next year and my insurance allows me to have my car out the UK and in the EU for an unlimited time. My question is, can I leave my car in Spain for up to a year, or do I have to remove it after 6 mths. I will only be driving the car for a maximum 3 mths the rest of the time it is parked up in an underground garage. Thanks

Like 0      
03 Jul 2010 1:40 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Neil, check out this thread, it tells much. http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-10795.aspx 

If you keep a UK plated car in Spain for more than 6 months you DO have to re-register it or you will be driving it illegally REGARDLESS of it having a valid UK MOT, insurance & UK tax. It WILL be illegal IN SPAIN. We have gone through all the ins & outs last year ourselves. 

If you require PROFESSIONAL ADVICE ask Tom of http://www.reregcar.info/  though he is on the Costa Blanca but the law's the same.

Edited to add: Don't try arguing with the Traffico! Ignorance of Spanish Law is no defence!

This message was last edited by morerosado on 03/07/2010.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2010 1:43 PM by Tumbit Star rating in Costa Blanca. 71 posts Send private message

Tumbit´s avatar

It sounds like you are really asking 2 questions : What the law is, and what you may be able to get away with.

As far as the Law in Spain is concerned you are obliged to import and re-register the vehicle within 6 months of it arriving here, and the cost can be anywhere between 200 to 1'000 euros depedning upon the type of car and whether you will be doing this yourself or not.

If it will be locked out of sight in a garage for quite a lot of the year the issue (off the record, of course) would be how to proove when exactly it arrived here in Spain. As long as you continued to pay your UK Tax and had not changed the registered address of the vehicle, or registered it as SORN then you may get away with it.

If you are ever stopped by the Guardia they will have a note of your vehicle on file, and if they will doubtlessly warn you to import your vehicle as soon as you possibly can.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2010 1:51 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

There are so many UK plated cars driving around, some have been going around for years!

Yes but they are illegal after 6 months unless re-registered in Spain, Justin.

My understanding is that if you are not resident (which you won't be) then it is down to your own insurance, road tax and MOT that will be the issue.  As long as you are covered in all these areas then you should be ok.

Not true, we are non-residents & needed to re-register before the 6 months was up REGARDLESS of the car being fully legal if driven in the UK.

Justin

If still in doubt contact Tom of  http://www.reregcar.info/ 

Like 0      
03 Jul 2010 2:05 PM by Jontymellor Star rating in Warrington & Cabo R.... 144 posts Send private message

A insurance company are not mad, they look for any thing to avoid paying out, I hate the "WHAT I CAN GET AWAY WITH" , if my son is insured takes the time to keep within the law, why should he have to carry leagal help cover because 20% of cars in the EU are illeagal.

I drive to spain 2 or 3 times a year, I have to look around for 120days insurance cover abroard, if you the law about 6 months I believe is in more than just spain, as its derived from if your in the country more than 6 months a lot more rules come into place.

If you have a insurance that allows you to drive anywere in the EU for twelve months please send me  PM, as I may want to change mine in the near future.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2010 3:06 PM by Neil Scott Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the info, I think I'll make some enquiries into re-registering it in Spain, its a good car and will serve me well as a runaround down on the costa del sol, anyone know any companies in the area that deal with re-registration.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2010 3:09 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Why not contact Tom of  http://www.reregcar.info/  he will put you onto someone.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

handing keys back - 10 posts
EOS moderators question - 12 posts
Green stuff on chairs - 2 posts
insurance when purchasing. - 3 posts
Warning! - 4 posts
Mexico, no. Any thoughts/advice on considering a move to the Valencia area? - 9 posts
moving furniture - 1 posts
Toll Fees - 5 posts
Water sports activities for teenagers in Fuengirola - Benalmadena - Torremolinos? - 0 posts
OUT OF AFRICA - 8 posts
White paint - 2 posts
Driving to Spain, - Stopover etc - 6 posts
FIFA Introduce latest goal-line technology! - 1 posts
Property Management - 9 posts
My 1000th post! - 3 posts
bungy - 1 posts
Palmera Properties - 11 posts
England Vs. Germany WHAT A GAME - 8 posts
Good quality tools required... - 4 posts
Justin, help needed, please - 0 posts
Estate agents charging double fees - 1 posts
How do you relax in Spain on a Sunday? - 14 posts
Editing Threads and responses... - 3 posts
Living in Spain, Working P/T in UK - 4 posts
Living in Spain, Working P/T in UK - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x