Why do we get so many new members wanting to move to Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jun 2010 12:36 PM by dartboy Star rating. 95 posts Send private message

i think the reason a lot of younger people want to come to spain is that they can see a better life for their families it was why i thought about it, better education,less crime healthier diet and better weather the only thing that stopped me was the economical climate at least here in britain if there is no work the kids still get fed and if we are in need of hospital treatment it is still free

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 12:58 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

it was not that long ago that we were promised a new age of reduced work and increased leisure, surely you have not forgotten?

the robots were taking over!!!!

instead we have got the benefit culture, while others slave all hours and make extra payments to top up their pensions, which they cannot have until years later, because we cannot afford it now while we pay the benefits and expenses to millionaire MP thieves.

but you will never stop the dreamers here dreaming of better weather, more opportunities and a more relaxed lifestyle.

unfortunately it seems that Spain no longer promises that for many.

as More says...................

"I personally know three couples who are returning soon & they are not young either just not quite of retirement age so need to work."

this of course assumes that no one needs to work here to avoid starvation, even if they have not been contributing for years.

Something seems to have gone wrong, if you have not earned a benefit, that is simple charity, isn't it????

Who can afford charity if they are bankrupt?????

Oh dear, I am confused again.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 1:56 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear Georgia,

thank you for that, great information and a real concern.

we don't seem to suffer in the same way here but I do note that there is a bitterness and quite a lot of vandal damage to cars and property reported by neighbourhood watch.

you clearly had good reason to decamp, the puzzle is why are you and Goodstich reporting such different viewpoints????

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 2:29 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Great informative post, Georgia  & I'm sorry we've not made it to Algorfa this trip &, of course, you moved so we never catch a glimpse of you now on Saturday lunchtimes when we visit Mr & Mrs Acapulco, who are watching the England game with us on Wednesday after eating with us.

As my OH says 'WHY do you concern yourself so much about others, More? You advise as best you're able to, let them make their own mistakes as WE had to!' Of course my better other half is always right!

Yes, Norman, you can call me More.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 22/06/2010.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 10:15 AM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear More,

thank you and please keep up the good work, you are a star.

unfortunately OH has something of a point, human nature being what it is, bitter experience is often the best teacher no matter how the elderly press the matter.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 1:48 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I think a lot of people choose Spain (well, the Costas anyway) because of the following:

-the sun

-no need to learn any Spanish

-no need to have anything to do with the Spanish people or Spanish culture/society/way of life

-you can get your full English Breakfasts, pie and chips and pints of Carling everywhere

-you can escape your problems in the UK and everything will be ok in Spain apparently

You can basically have everything you had in the UK but with better weather. 

That's it I think.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 1:53 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Sad people if that's there reasons sanchez1, maybe an indication of why so many only find time to gripe and moan about Spain.

SUCCESS IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF LUCK....ASK ANY FAILURE!!

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 2:31 PM by daniela Star rating in Duquesa. 167 posts Send private message

daniela´s avatar

I think that "young people" are all being tarred with the same brush on this thread.  I am a "young" ish (early 30s) person who moved to Spain and I did my homework and I also made sure I had a job BEFORE I moved here.  Yes, I will admit that if I had my time again I would have waited a few years to buy a property as I probably would have gotten more for my money now (although the FX rate has helped keep this loss down!) but I look at it in the way that if I am not planning on selling the property yet I haven't made a loss.

I do have a profession and I do speak a bit of Spanish but I knew that I would not be able to progress my career unless I moved near Gibraltar.  I refused to move to Spain without a job already lined up in Gibraltar as just because I am "young" it doesn't mean that I don't have my head screwed on. 

Yes a lot of people do get it wrong or they have really bad luck but the whole idea of EOS is to help each other isn't it?  I know it helped me when I was doing my research.  People may ask stupid questions or have unrealistic expectations but it is our job to give people advice just as we were given it when we first joined up. 

Not all of Spain is doom and gloom.  I (personally) think moving to Spain was the best thing I've done but I know that isn't the same for everyone.

Daniela

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 2:33 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

There are of course many people who choose the costas for other reasons.  I love seeing the sea and would have liked living on the coast off-season, however as we were retiring to Spain and living here permanently, we decided to live inland.  We can visit the costas for holidays in the spring and autumn!

We have found that most people who choose to live away from the costas do so because they want to enjoy the Spanish way of life, and like us they try to learn Spanish (some more successfully than others!) so they can make Spanish friends, enjoy the culture etc.  We get the sun here too, and if you want an English breakfast you have to cook your own at home!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 3:03 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Thank you both,

two good posts worthy of the "Good News" thread.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Playing around! - 0 posts
Calahonda International School - 2 posts
Spanish postal service reliability - 2 posts
New on here and need some good advice... - 15 posts
Jale bankruptcy - 0 posts
HP Laptop For Sale - 2 posts
Horse riding stuff for sale - 0 posts
advice needed please - 1 posts
Speeding Fine UK Registered Car - Advice Needed - 12 posts
England Match - 2 posts
Winter heating - 4 posts
Court costs - 2 posts
Because we're worth it. - 6 posts
TASA Costa Esuri - help - 0 posts
Holiday let required please - 1 posts
Inheritance Taxes - 26 posts
Postal Service: Urgent help Needed, please - 3 posts
Garden Centres, DIY stores etc in Albox/ Huercal-Overa Area? - 6 posts
Paying Car Tax In Spain - 14 posts
driving from uk to spain - 8 posts
quesada? - 5 posts
Does anybody on the Costa Del Sol - 1 posts
With age comes wisdom - 0 posts
Amuerga,sl - 0 posts
Administrator costs - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x