Monarch flight chaos - information required

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Apr 2010 12:00 AM by Donna773 Star rating in Guardamar, Costa Bla.... 19 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

I'd like to hear from anyone who, like me, had an official  reservation but was unable to get onto Flight ZB677 from Alicante to Manchester on Wednesday evening because of what Monarch claim was overbooking caused by a computer problem. Or indeed, from anyone who DID get onto the flight. As a freelance journalist, I plan to write an article or articles on what happened for publications I work for and need as much information as possible from those directly involved. There have been unsubstantiated suggestions that stranded holidaymakers who made late bookings at inflated prices (over 400 euros single fare) were given priority over those who booked long before the volcanic ash crisis at much lower prices. Whatever the facts, many people with reservations were unable to travel and are still waiting for any sort of explanation from Monarch. I am not allowed to leave my email address on this message but it can be found under articles I have written recently on this website.

Many thanks

Donna Gee

www.donnagee.blogspot.com

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/donnagee.aspx

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/donnagee2.aspx

http://www.grumpyoldgran.com

Like 0      
25 Apr 2010 3:13 PM by RachelB Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi Donna.  We were not on the flight you mentioned but had a similar experience on Wednesday evening from Tenerife to Birmingham on the ZB933.  Someone from Monarch had confirmed us on the flight ZB9933, when we arrived at the airpoirt this flight did not exist and we were not on a passenger list for the ZB933.  They were just taking passengers scheduled to leave that day.  We were not the only ones.  Several people had received text msgs from Monarch confirming they were on the flight and to get to the airport.  One lady showed me her print out confirming her family was on the flight, others had received notes shoved under their doors by hotel staff informing them that they were on the flight.  None of us were.  We got some of the last seats on the flight because we have a young family, the younger your children the more chance you had of getting on.  Once we were on the flight I spoke to some Monarch stewardess who believed that the flight they had been asked to crew at short notice WAS the ZB9933, a rescue place bringing back stranded passengers.  I said it was not, that 90% of the passengers on this plane were due to fly home that day.  Unbelievably, the stewardess at the back of the plane believed that this was a scheduled flight only - so even their staff didn't have a clue what was going on.  In essence the flight codes that Monarch displayed on their website with an additional 9 prefixing the old flight number was meant to be a rescue flight, but these flights did not exist.  We were essentially treated as standby passengers, not stranded passengers.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2010 7:23 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

We were due to fly out on Monday, 19th April, but received an e-mail the day before to say that it had been cancelled - no surprises there.

Our problem seems to be in re-booking!  We were told that we could either have our money back, or reschedule.  We want to do the latter - the joys of being retired!!  We were told that if we re-bookd and flew within 30 days that the price would remain the same as the one we paid.   I have a tall husband (6'7") and we need extra leg-room.  We have e-mailed them - and so far have only got an automated reply. 

Watch this space!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
26 Apr 2010 12:42 AM by Donna773 Star rating in Guardamar, Costa Bla.... 19 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

RachelB's comments are very interesting because the Manchester flight departures info last Wednesday afternoon (the day I was due to travel), featured two simultaneous Monarch flights to Alicante, ZB676 and ZB9676. Both flight numbers also featured on the Alicante arrivals board at one point. Yet there was only one plane. I haven't a clue how they decided who should travel on the return flight to Manchester, which I believe flew back as ZB677 - those who had previously booked reservations or people stranded in Spain by the volcanic ash crisis. All I know is that lots of people with valid reservations, like myself, did not even reach the check-in desk. The only information I have as yet from Monarch is a brief note on Thursday from one of their Press Office executives to my query as to the reason for the chaos. All it says is: ''Thanks for your e-mail. We're looking into what occurred and I will come back to you as soon as possible.'' As yet, I have received no response to another email I sent as a passenger requesting an explanation, refund and compensation for being denied my right to a seat. The ball is now very much in Monarch's court. I have always regarded them as one of the best, if not THE best, airlines plying the UK-Spain route, but they have certainly not enhanced their reputation this past few days. Watch this space for further developments...

www.donnagee.blogspot.com

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/donnagee.aspx

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/donnagee2.aspx

http://www.grumpyoldgran.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi, my name is Lisa ..... - 0 posts
Early retirement and healthcare in Spain - 27 posts
Who should you vote for???? - 27 posts
Clutch kit. - 2 posts
declaring at the tax office for the first time and capital gains rollover - 2 posts
Community Problem Regarding Maintenance - 3 posts
Seat Leon Hatchback 5-Door 1.9 Tdi sport 2009 for sale. - 0 posts
Help with mystery bank debit, please - 22 posts
Hello Everyone - 2 posts
For sale ,woodburner. - 0 posts
Data Protection Law (LOPD) and you in Spain - 0 posts
Cost of Living - 3 posts
Dance Class/Keep Fit - 2 posts
certificates of Habitation - 14 posts
Car Hire Prices - 0 posts
wood pellet stoves - 0 posts
Private Message Facility - 1 posts
Van going back to the UK. - 0 posts
Good news week - 2 posts
Floundering! - 4 posts
Texting! I Cannot Send Texts! - 1 posts
WE HAVE JUST BECOME RESIDENTS - 2 posts
Community Rules and Washing Lines - 0 posts
Does anyone need to drive from UK to Malaga in next few days? - 0 posts
Wanted LHD Vehicle - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x