Just something really to think about..............

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Aug 2007 11:50 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I CAN ONLY IMAGINE ............ taken from http://cjcphoto.com/can/

I try to be a good father. Give my kids mulligans. Work nights to pay For their text messaging. Take them to swimsuit shoots.

But compared with Dick Hoyt, I suck.

Eighty-five times he's pushed his disabled son, Rick, 26.2 miles in Marathons. Eight times he's not only pushed him 26.2 miles in a Wheelchair but also towed him 2.4 miles in a dinghy while swimming and Pedaled him 112 miles in a seat on the handlebars--all in the same day.

Dick's also pulled him cross-country skiing, taken him on his back Mountain climbing and once hauled him across the U.S. On a bike. Makes Taking your son bowling look a little lame, right?

And what has Rick done for his father? Not much--except save his life.
This love story began in Winchester , Mass. , 43 years ago, when Rick Was strangled by the umbilical cord during birth, leaving him Brain-damaged and unable to control his limbs.

"He'll be a vegetable the rest of his life;'' Dick says doctors told him And his wife, Judy, when Rick was nine months old. ``Put him in an Institution.''

But the Hoyts weren't buying it. They noticed the way Rick's eyes Followed them around the room. When Rick was 11 they took him to the Engineering department at Tufts University and asked if there was Anything to help the boy communicate. ``No way,'' Dick says he was told. ``There's nothing going on in his brain.''

"Tell him a joke,'' Dick countered. They did. Rick laughed. Turns out a Lot was going on in his brain. Rigged up with a computer that allowed Him to control the cursor by touching a switch with the side of his Head, Rick was finally able to communicate. First words? ``Go Bruins!'' And after a high school classmate was paralyzed in an accident and the School organized a charity run for him, Rick pecked out, ``Dad, I want To do that.''

Yeah, right. How was Dick, a self-described ``porker'' who never ran More than a mile at a time, going to push his son five miles? Still, he Tried. ``Then it was me who was handicapped,'' Dick says. ``I was sore For two weeks.''

That day changed Rick's life. ``Dad,'' he typed, ``when we were running, It felt like I wasn't disabled anymore!''

And that sentence changed Dick's life. He became obsessed with giving Rick that feeling as often as he could. He got into such hard-belly Shape that he and Rick were ready to try the 1979 Boston Marathon.

``No way,'' Dick was told by a race official. The Hoyts weren't quite a Single runner, and they weren't quite a wheelchair competitor. For a few Years Dick and Rick just joined the massive field and ran anyway, then They found a way to get into the race Officially: In 1983 they ran another marathon so fast they made the Qualifying time for Boston the following year.

Then somebody said, ``Hey, Dick, why not a triathlon?''

How's a guy who never learned to swim and hadn't ridden a bike since he Was six going to haul his 110-pound kid through a triathlon? Still, Dick Tried.

Now they've done 212 triathlons, including four grueling 15-hour Ironmans in Hawaii . It must be a buzzkill to be a 25-year-old stud Getting passed by an old guy towing a grown man in a dinghy, don't you Think?

Hey, Dick, why not see how you'd do on your own? ``No way,'' he says. Dick does it purely for ``the awesome feeling'' he gets seeing Rick with A cantaloupe smile as they run, swim and ride together.

This year, at ages 65 and 43, Dick and Rick finished their 24th Boston Marathon, in 5,083rd place out of more than 20,000 starters. Their best Time? Two hours, 40 minutes in 1992--only 35 minutes off the world Record, which, in case you don't keep track of these things, happens to Be held by a guy who was not pushing another man in a wheelchair at the Time.

``No question about it,'' Rick types. ``My dad is the Father of the Century.''

And Dick got something else out of all this too. Two years ago he had a Mild heart attack during a race. Doctors found that one of his arteries Was 95% clogged. ``If you hadn't been in such great shape,'' One doctor told him, ``you probably would've died 15 years ago.'' So, in a way, Dick and Rick saved each other's life.

Rick, who has his own apartment (he gets home care) and works in Boston, and Dick, retired from the military and living in Holland, Mass. , always find ways to be together. They give speeches around the country and compete in some backbreaking race every weekend, including this Father's Day.

That night, Rick will buy his dad dinner, but the thing he really wants to give him is a gift he can never buy.

``The thing I'd most like,'' Rick types, ``is that my dad sit in the chair and I push him once.''

And the video is below....

Team Hoyt have their own web site located at teamhoyt.com

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/27/2007.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2007 12:42 AM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Thanks for this Morerosado, that was truly inspiring! What a wonderful example of courage, determination, love and trust. It was very humbling to watch the video.....father and son could teach many people a lot I'm sure!!!!!

Julia

Like 0      
28 Aug 2007 11:04 AM by spanish biker Star rating in los gomez,estacion d.... 7 posts Send private message

spanish biker´s avatar
good find morerosado, dont half make you think. what a man he is . lost for more words.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2007 11:21 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi More, that certainly puts life in perspective.  What a brilliant Dad, it certainly makes you lost for words Pat 

Like 0      
28 Aug 2007 12:58 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
I have just read and watched that and am crying my eyes out. What an inspiration.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
28 Aug 2007 1:33 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

hI all

you might like to know we have a UK version.  I had read many reports on 'Mick 'n' Phil Marathon Lads' while training for my first London marathon (2006, i ran for british heart foundation)). I think they are an inspiration to all, not just us long distance runners. I came across them at about mile 18 on the day, looking stronger and fitter than i felt!,  they had a big crowd talking to and encouraging them all the way round. One of many very emotional moments in my first marathon.

I'm starting to train again now for the 2008 London Marathon, and really hope to see them again. Fantastic lads and very humbling.

If any of you are capable, (and i think many people are if they really want), however long it takes or get a chance to run a marathon....... 'do it'.   It's the second most amazing thing i've ever done, next to watching my children being born!

Please see below to give you an idea of their amazing bravery and courage.

HI... Our names are Mick n Phil, Marathon Lads from Stratford On Avon. My Dad (Mick) is a very experienced long distance marathon runner. Occasionally, Dad has had to break off from running because of personal circumstances, myself (Philip), as I am disabled, suffering from Cerebral Palsy and Sodium Valproate Syndrome. Now a days, Dad pushes me in my wheelchair around the circuits we race at. This is because I am at my most content when on the move. My mobility is extremely limited and I am completely dependant on my Dad for all my needs. Because of my disability my whole family has been affected and has not been without its challenges, mainly because I have no speech and my mum also suffers from poor health.

Mick Says... Nursing Philip through the years have driven my wife and I to mental breakdowns. She is now is no longer able to cope with Phillip's extreme needs, but that is not to say she has not a remarkable job over the years, bringing him through his severe illness which almost cost him his life.

My wife gave me an ultimatum in early 2002, "either take Phillip in his wheelchair running with you, or pack it all in as, as I cannot cope any longer". Well, I can tell you now, I thought it was the end of things, so I had a long hard think. Would the wheelchair stand up to it? Would Phillip like it? and most importantly, could I do this whilst pushing him? Running is hard enough at times no matter what standard you are. This was make or break, all or nothing. We started with a 2 mile fun run, taking 17m 45s, moved up to a 10k clocking 46m then tackled a 10 miler in a time of 1hr 48m. The final test was the full marathon where we achieved a time of 4hr 12m. This was fantastic, we were both loving it and quite simply, having the time of our lives. The rest they say, is history.

We then started taking on tougher, hilly races mainly of half marathon distance. The toughest to date is Great Langdale in Cumbria. We have now completed this twice with a best time of 2h 45m.

Our thanks must go to all the fellow athletes who support us in every way with kind words of support and their ideas for our racing. All the adaptions to Phillips wheelchair and even the idea for my vest has come from other athletes on a travels.

So far we have completed 188 races which include 12 marathons, 65 half marathons. I feel it is most important for me to say that none of this have been possible had it not been for the race organisers and thousands of fellow runners. We appreciate it all very much.

YOU HAVE MADE A CHRONICALLY SICK LAD AND HIS DAD VERY HAPPY !!!

Like 0      
28 Aug 2007 4:38 PM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar
May-be some of the youngsters who carry guns and knives in England should watch this as to appreciate what matters in life.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 8:15 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

chipmonk

yes, but sadly, how many of them care?.  In a slightly similar vein, there's a new anti-smoking campaign launched, putting horrific pictures on cigi'  packets, but will many of the people it's aimed at the most be moved by it ?, i doubt it?, many of them are in denial and just wont face the truth when it's staring them in the face. If it saves a few from misery though, it will have been worth it.

I wish news stories would feature more stories about people who have shown extreme strength of characacter and goodwill towards others, so that it can be looked on as something to aim for,  and an example of the more positive side of human nature.

Yesterday at 1.33, i posted what i think is a tremendous on-going achievment by 'Mick n Phil Marathon Lads', but so far have there has not been one reply on here from people saying people have heard of them, googled them, or even ' well done'  to them?????.  I probably would have got more reaction from talking about a kitten stuck on a roof, as would probably be the same on a TV news story!!

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 10:00 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
 Story made me cry, so good to hear about GOOD things.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 10:15 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 3:54 PM by spanish biker Star rating in los gomez,estacion d.... 7 posts Send private message

spanish biker´s avatar
what a story, i wish you both all the best in your lives what ever you do . You are truly an inspiracion,.and chipmonk it wouldnt matter to a lot of the youths of today if they read it , i dont think they would give a second thought. most of them wouldnt help you if you were layed in the street.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 10:25 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Well done to Mick and Phil on their terrific achievement!

Julia

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 11:27 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Mick and Phil, are a inspiration to show what can be done,  it  is a shame some of the youngster's of today do not think like that, I will not lob them all together as their are some good ones out their.  I still think a decent upbringing helps which a lot do not seem to have these day's.   A lot of them seem to need educating in the way's of the world.   I have an autistic grandchild she seems to come out with so much wisdom.    Pat

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 11:45 PM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar

Very true Spanish Biker

Thought you might like this: Was in La Cala de Mijas whilst this was on earlier this year.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2007 9:26 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Hi folks

thanks for your support for Mick n Phil. Without wishing to sound like an ad'  for the London marathon, it really is a force for the good. Thousands of  people, many who are not in the greatest of health themselves,  who have gone to hell and back in many cases to prepare and run the distance, while raising money for those less fortunate than themselves. What a contrast to the needless violence by more often than not young very healthy people. Such a shame the media glamourises these people in film, video games, music etc.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2007 10:07 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Don't mess with us women at certain times of the month, all women of a certain age will relate to this, I'm sure. Men.. you be careful what you say if you comment

The best complaints letter ever !

TO: MR. JAMES THATCHER
 BRAND MANAGER, PROCTER & GAMBLE

Dear Mr. Thatcher

I have been a loyal user of your Always maxi pads for over 20 years,
 and I appreciate many of their features. Why, without the LeakGuard
 Core(tm) or Dri-Weave(tm) absorbency, I'd probably never go horse
 riding or salsa dancing, and I'd certainly steer clear of running up
 and down the beach in tight, white shorts. But my favorite feature has
 to be your revolutionary Flexi-Wings. Kudos on being the only company
 smart enough to realize how crucial it is that maxi pads be
 aerodynamic. I can't tell you how safe and secure I feel each month
 knowing there's a little F-16 in my pants.

Have you ever had a menstrual period, Mr. Thatcher? Ever suffered from
 "the curse"? I'm guessing you haven't. Well, my "time of the month" is
 starting right now. As I type, I can already feel hormonal forces
 violently surging through my body. Just a few minutes from now, my
 body will adjust and I'll be transformed into what my husband likes to
 call "an inbred hillbilly with knife skills." Isn't the human body
 amazing?

As brand manager in the feminine-hygiene division, you've no doubt
 seen quite a bit of research on what exactly happens during your
 customers' monthly visits from Aunt Flo. Therefore, you must know
 about the bloating, puffiness, and cramping we endure, and about our
 intense mood swings, crying and out-of-control behaviour. You surely realise it's a tough
 time for most women. In fact, only last week, my friend Jennifer
 fought the violent urge to shove her boyfriend's testicles into a
 George Foreman Grill just because he told her he thought Grey's
 Anatomy was written by drunken chimps.

Crazy! The point is, sir, you of all people must realize that the UK
 is just crawling with homicidal maniacs in capri pants. Which brings
 me to the reason for my letter.

Last month, while in the throes of cramping so painful I wanted to
 reach inside my body and yank out my uterus, I opened an Always maxi
 pad, and there, printed on the adhesive backing, were these words:
 "Have a Happy Period."

Are you *+*#*ing kidding me?

What I mean is, does any part of your tiny middle-manager brain really
 think happiness - actual smiling, laughing happiness - is possible
 during a menstrual period? Did anything mentioned above sound the
 least bit pleasurable?

Well, did it, James? FYI, unless you're some kind of sick S&M freak
 girl, there will never be anything "happy" about a day in which you
 have to jack yourself up on Nurofen and Kahlúa and lock yourself in
 your house just so you don't march down to the local Tesco's armed
 with a hunting rifle and a
 sketchy plan to end your life in a blaze of glory. For the love of
 God, pull your head out, man. If you just have to slap a moronic
 message on a maxi pad, wouldn't it make more sense to say something
 that's actually pertinent, like "Put Down the Hammer" or "Vehicular
 Manslaughter Is Wrong"?
 - Or are you just picking on us?

Sir, please inform your accounting department that, effective
 immediately, there will be an £8 drop in monthly profits, for I have
 chosen to take my maxi-pad business elsewhere. And though I will
 certainly miss your Flexi-Wings, I will not for one minute miss your
 brand of condescending bullshit. And that's a promise I will keep.
 Always.

Best,
 Wendi Aarons

Like 0      
30 Aug 2007 11:28 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

c'mon girls admit it, whatever was written on it would have been wrong at that time of month!!!!!!!!!

..........i'm out of here quick.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2007 11:38 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/30/2007.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2007 12:26 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

.........ouch!

Like 0      
30 Aug 2007 1:26 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Stress Reliever
Turn on your speakers and move your mouse at the same time - it works!! :)  

Here's something so cute it's guaranteed to relieve all your stress..
Click here    Go on, you know you want to !

I don't have an attitude...its just my personality.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

BMI Cardiff - 1 posts
Message for member "Marda" - 0 posts
Development 2 YEARS behind schedule! - 4 posts
Polaris World - 4 posts
Break in - 11 posts
Non-residents buying a car in Spain - 16 posts
The best way to transfer money to Spain (Seriously)! - 92 posts
IKEA Seville now delivering to the coast - 2 posts
estimation of entry date - 10 posts
Seems your UK rates bill can be slashed. Check it out with YOUR local council. - 3 posts
IS THERE NO END TO THE NUMBER OF NEW MEMBERS? - 26 posts
Tax returns in spain - 1 posts
Annual retreats/conference - 1 posts
Offer on UK house. - 9 posts
Commercial business consultants - 20 posts
Interior designers tenerife - 1 posts
Suppliers - 13 posts
Hello Everyone!! - 10 posts
MEETING UP IN MARBELLA - 28 March 2007 - 127 posts
WANTED - RELIABLE GARAGE CDS - 0 posts
Spanish Amazon any info - 1 posts
Bedroom Furniture For Sale - 6 posts
Need for better search engine!! - 8 posts
Onlne Bullying - 7 posts
Duquesa Hills site not finished - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 363

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x