Excess baggage charges.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by rovinramon Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Last week we returned to the UK via Malaga airport and the check in girl only weighed our hold bag which was just under the limit, but did not even ask us to add our cabin bags. We had pre-weighed our luggage on bathroom scales before leaving. My wife's sister returned today, same flight, with Flyglobespan, and while she was OK because she had pre-purchased some extra weight online, nearly every passenger in front of her in the queue got socked for 7 Euro per kilo over, most fines seemed to be for 7 or 8 kilos. What a sorry way to end one's holiday, congratulations Flyglobespan on your outstanding sensitivity to customer loyalty and human relations. Your day of reckoning will come, quite soon I suspect. RR

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 3:33 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar
I'd love to know how many passengers got weighed.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 3:48 PM by rovinramon Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

I considered that scenario a long time ago, so please don't give them ideas, or we will all be liable for excess baggage charges. Imagine having to travel in one's underwear to save weight! RR

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 4:38 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Seems we're almost down to underwear at security already!!!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 11:56 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar
My policy is to wear three pairs of socks and pants , shirt ,sweater and jacket whilst checking in then remove as much as practical and stuff into the cabin bag before you get to security. I do look 3 stone heavier at check in.
 Apparently EasyJet have no restriction on weight of cabin bag just size. Stuff it in and sit on it.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 5:41 PM by cazbaz Star rating in leeds. 85 posts Send private message

Just come back from a Jet 2 flight with a hand luggage bag that has travelled all over the world with me.
Prefer to make a quick exit on short trips and avoid the costs.
Jobs worth made me measure mybag in their rack (it fits in everybody elses) 1cm too big kerching £12 please - incidently same bag came back via Jet 2 as hand luggage!!! 
All these extra costs are unjustifiable, shameful, inflexible and demonstrate the greed of the airlines
Like to share a hilarious observation  on return. 
Couple clearly over hold limit with 1 of their 2 bags. Spent an eternity swapping clothes from one bag to otherand resorted to  transferring things into a plastic bag as part of their hand luggage allowance -HORRAH they achieved it. The whole queue applauded loudly. This just demontrates how pathetic it all is. They took on for no extra cost in money EXACTLY the same luggage weight  but were hot and bothered (potentially embarassed until they realised waiting crowd were on THEIR side)and held up the queue in the process. 
Come on airlines if one bag is under, the other over and there is no hand luggage what the hell does it matter - it all adds up to SAME total amount allowed - all the airlines are doing is totally p****g off the customers!
Any way after my rant - WELL DONE TO THAT COUPLE 

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 6:15 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Sorry Cazbaz, but this has all to do with good old elf and safety.  Baggage Handlers are no longer allowed to lift bags over 20 Kg therefore, they can lift 2 bags of 20kg each but not one of 21kg and the other of 19kg.  They voted on this a couple of years ago and anything over 20kg has to be marked HEAVY in case they strain their backs lifting one.  Funnily enough, the Americans voted on the same thing and (as they still use real weights) made it 50 lbs which is almost 22 kg.  Our poor European handlers would find that far too heavy to lift in one go.  Of course, it's got nothing to do with the fact the airlines can charge you a fortune if you are a kilo or two over and the baggage handlers still have to lift it up.  It would be far too cynical to suggest that!!!!!
Of course, if you're a Ryanair baggage handler, you can't manage anything over 15 kg.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 6:43 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
Sorry Bob but I think you are wrong about the 20kg.

I agree that they do tag cases over 20kg with a "Heavy" label but the overall weight limit for one piece of luggage is 32KG. I have booked 2 passengers with Easyjet for Christmas but have only booked 1 bag between us. However, on the confirmation it states that we have 1 bag with a weight allowance of 32kgs.

Easyjet do allow luggage allowances to be amalgamated so 1 case weighing 15kg & 1 case weighing 25kg would be within the 40kg allowance for 2 passengers.

Ryanair do not allow luggage allowances to be amalgamated & as has been said previously, this is another of their income generating schemes.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 7:02 PM by cazbaz Star rating in leeds. 85 posts Send private message

Obviously wouldn't want to compromise anybodys elf - but the inconsistancies are amazing flew for a thompsons cruise we could have 25kg - non cruisers 20kg (I suspect a stronger crew of luggage handlers must be employed for the cruisers), long haul flights also have larger allowances.
Jet 2 allowance recently dropped from 20kg to 17kg (nearly 20% decrease). Hand luggage measurements smaller than most 'hand luggage' cases available - whats that all about?
Sorry I stick to my previous conclusion it is a money making scam and some (Jet 2) airlines are worse than others!!!

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 7:29 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
No, I'm not wrong.  The maximum weight limit for a bag is 20kg UNLESS you are willing to pay.  I think I pointed that out.  You can take heavier but AT A PRICE.  You can combine your luggage with Easy Jet but the total per passenger is not to exceed 20 kg (you can take up to 8 bags but total weight of all bags is 20kg), unless you are willingto pay extra.
BTW,  BMIBaby are reducing their baggage allowance to 18Kg from next year.  Again, that will be the limit UNTIL YOU HAVE TO PAY EXTRA. 

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 8:16 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
I have not paid extra with Easyjet, I have paid for one bag.

My confirmation states that I have booked for 2 passengers with an allowance of 20kg each but because I have only paid for one hold bag, the allowance is reduced to 32kg as that is the maximum weight that any one item of luggage can weigh.

As you will see below, it clearly states that the maximum weight is 32kg per bag.

Extract from Easyjet's website
Question
  What is my hold luggage allowance?
  Answer

Each passenger is allowed:

• 20kg of hold luggage
  • With a maximum weight of 32kg per bag (due to regulations)
  • Each piece of hold luggage will incur a fee
  • Excess weight will be charged
  • Each passenger is allowed a combined maximum weight of 50kg

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 8:19 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Jet 2 allowance recently dropped from 20kg to 17kg (nearly 20% decrease). 

For Summer '09, Jet2 have increased their allowance to 22kg from this week.

Mark

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 8:41 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
This statement is also alongside the booking page where you choose how many bags you want to pay for.

Purchasing additional bags does not increase your weight allowance. Our baggage handlers are strong and careful, but to save their backs no single bag may weigh more than 32kg. 

I think that does clarify that your statement that baggage handlers are not allowed to lift more than 20kg, was incorrect.

I would have edited my original post but Mark's post means that I can't do that.

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 10/24/2008.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 9:15 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

As far as I am aware baggage handlers will handle a single item up to 32kg. Different airlines apply excess baggage charges according to their own weight limit. I was told by one airline that they incurr extra charges by the handling agents for any piece over 23kg. ~Another reason for reduced baggage allowance is fuel costs, the heavier the load the more fuel is used.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
29 Oct 2008 9:24 AM by rovinramon Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Obviously, paying more than the basic seat price is an emotive area, and in common with UK stealth taxes will not go away until we stop wanting to travel by air. Weight & see! I would be fascinated to find out roughly how much the airlines make from the interest free use of the money paid up front by passengers. They hold this cash mountain for a minimum of eight weeks, but often for much longer, and still they have the audacity to charge us as much as they can for card transaction fees. Can anyone advise as to the true charges made by the banks to these sellers for instantaneous electronic transactions please? Play your cards right ! RR

Like 0      
29 Oct 2008 11:14 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I used to accept credit/ debit cards with Barclays PDQ a few years ago as a small business. Debit card transactions were a 50p charge regardless of amount and credit cards were 2.5% of the amount. Even if you look at Paypal for processing your card payments with small volumes it is only 3.5% per transaction, plus 20p admin fee giving a cost of £17.50 on a £500 transaction for 3 passengers, as opposed to £24 for the £4 per passenger per journey. As with all businesses, the higher the amount of transactions, the lower the charges, those were just worse case scenario.

Mark

Like 0      
30 Oct 2008 2:22 PM by dr who Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

rovinramon , same here - was ok with my small briefcase going to UK , but on the return journey from Teesside with Flyglobespan we had to put it on the belt with the suitcases along with my better halfs small bag and we got hit for forty quid , 8kgs @ a fiver a go. It is in the T and C's ......(now) , but never known it before. From now on i'll just put myself out and go via Newcastle instead. Bye bye Flyglobespan !!!!!!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

BANKINTER - 12 posts
Running a bar/cafe in spain - 4 posts
Cleaner Required - 2 posts
FAO: Justin. Server/ PM problems? - 4 posts
MARKET GONE MAD - 13 posts
Room 101 for ex-presidents and vice presidents - 26 posts
Moped Wanted - Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Electric Bills - 19 posts
Finally its ours!! - 3 posts
can you buy tetralysal acne tablets over the counter in chemist - 0 posts
HELP PLEASE, lost my man with a van - 2 posts
Which way? - 15 posts
How to go about investigating a developer's financial position? - 4 posts
Let's ALL make a denuncia against Telmicro then. - 0 posts
looking to do karaoke and sell ice creem in the day - 1 posts
tv dishes - 1 posts
What a fantastic night! - 1 posts
Anyone heard of Asset Management Recoveries Barcelona? - 41 posts
Silver grey and black millipedes - 1 posts
swap villa in dehesa de campoamor (luxury costa blanca) for house in uk (devon pref) - 0 posts
UK TV with freesat - 34 posts
completion - 2 posts
Happy Birthday Fibby - 8 posts
Help With Nationwide Flex Account - 23 posts
New Road - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x