UK TV with freesat

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by JPW2 Star rating in quesada, CB. 4 posts Send private message

Hi,

Does anyone know if i can bring over a UK TV and connect it up to a freesat box or event better bring over an integrated freesat TV?

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 2:51 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar
First, UK tv's work fine in Spain as PAL is also used here.

Freesat, or do you mean freeserve the digital tv in the UK. 

Freeserve box or freeserve tv's do not work in Spain, there is a spanish version of digital tv that is different to the uk version.

Freesat is available using a large satellite dish and either a FTA satellite decoder box or a Sky digi box. This has been covered in great length on other threads.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 6:15 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Integrated TV systems are not Freesat they are Freeview, the Spanish TDT system and they will work but they will receive Spanish TV broadcasts

Freesat either with Sky or UK Freesat requires at least a 1.9m dish installed

TV´s in Spain cost the same, sometimes less, than in the UK so you are better buying here plus you get a local warranty

Like 0      
29 Sep 2008 7:31 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
actually there are a few freesat tv's....panasonic do one..

your freesat set top box and / or freesat intergrated tv will work fine - depending on your dish size.

some UK freeview tvs or set top boxes do work in spain, but htey do have a few limitations - best buy one here in spain

freeserve was / is an internet service provider - currently owned by orange..

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 1:41 PM by JPW2 Star rating in quesada, CB. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks satandpcguy for the info.

I did mean freesat and it was the panasonic tvs that i was looking at. 

I wil take your advice and get a tv over in Spain. Any recomendations where to get one...carrefour perhaps?

I will also get a freesat box from the uk and bring that over and then hopefully i will be sorted. I currently have a holiday home in quesada using Telmicro!! I have also heard that you should get an official freesat box bearing the freesat logo on it as other freesat boxes may not work in the future when updates are downloaded. What do you know about this? The official freesat boxes can be found on the freesat website.

Thanks

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 3:09 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi JPW2, welcome to EOS.

I see you've property in Quesada, we're nearby.

Don't buy large electrical items from Carrefour, they are notorious for their lack of customer services, certainly at the main one on the outskirts of Torrevieja.

We bought our TV (granted, it's just a 20" but they sell big ones) & DVD player also washing machine from Master Cadenas, they have outlets all over. There's one on the lower floor of Habernas mall behind Carrefour. There's a Master Cadenas in Guardamar by Lidl's & Mercadona.

There's lots of Tien21 electrical shops too, one is on your left along the N332 as you turn towards Torrevieja from the CV895 (lemon tree road). 

Garcia's big store just off the Crevillente Road have lots of TVs. 

What about Donde's at Quesada ? 

Just be aware of Carrefour's bad customer service reputation.

Would you care to update your location on your profile with "Quesada, CB" ?

We'll all then see where you are asking about in future without you saying in the post.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 9/30/2008.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 7:22 PM by JPW2 Star rating in quesada, CB. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks moreosado, i have updated details.

i am over in november and will check these places out.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 7:35 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
JPW,

Freesat receivers wil get all the officail downloads, and will automatically update when new channels appear on the EPG.

Freetoair receivers rely on the user rescannigs the frequencies should new channels appear.

if you get a freesat rece from the uK check out
http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/category/prices
which show the best prices and discount the web has to offer from official freesat reselleers

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 8:34 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Thank you very much Satandpcguy, your info has been very informative.  Can I just ask a question could one large dish supply a few apartments????????   I am probaly being very ignorant, but I have heard of communial dishes am I right of wrong.  Thanks again Pat

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 8:47 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

hi we have 1 dish for 8 to 16 people in our apt block irene

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 9:16 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
in theory the numberof people / receivers you can feed from one dish is infinite.

essentially it boils down to cable lengths - you can only get a signal so far  using amplifers beofre you notice a drop in signal.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 12:11 PM by fruityloop Star rating in London, UK. 10 posts Send private message

fruityloop´s avatar
Hello.

Having seen this thread was already here I thought nobody would mind if I post my question on the end...

We have just finished furnishing our apartment in Mijas and have been told that the apartment complex has had pre-installation for Spanish SAT.  

Does anybody have any idea how we go about being able to get UK TV in our apartment?  Sorry to sound so thick but neither of us has a clue about how it all works.

I've also been quoted two prices, as follows:

1- 280€ for free to view SKY for approx 200 channels
2- 499€ will accept the SKY card we use in the UK which means we'll have all the channels we have at home.

Help....am completely lost!!  

All advice very gratefully received.

T

Like 0      
01 Oct 2008 10:32 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
it would help if you could post the dish sizes for the prices you were quoted.

if you want bbc and itv on a good regular satisfactory basis you wil be looking at around 700 euros for a 1.8m dish installed. The receiver will be extra.

you can get receivers that will accept your sky card from the uk, including the sports and movie chanensl, that are not normally accessible by swapping your sky card from one sky receiver to another - "this is the wrong set top box for this viewing card"

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
02 Oct 2008 12:01 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

I dont know if this helps but I bought over a panasonic 42 inch plasma tv to spain and it works fine. I plugged the ariel into the one in the wall and got spanish terrestial tv although I had freeserve embedded in the rear of the tv I got loads of spanish tvs including great sports channel teledeporta excellent english games, although the commentry is in spanish still very good

Like 0      
02 Oct 2008 9:57 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
i hope you  mean freeview / TDT and not freeserve - which is a UK internet service provider!?!??!?
as i have said in a few other posts, many newer tvs are "eurofriendly" and will work, but
many have trouble scanning all the spanish frequencies - channel 69 is normally ant3, neox and UK freeview boxes dont scan these
many UK freeview boxes may have trouble with some of the language changing,....as they normally only recognis English, Welsh and Gaelic....which cause problems when spain uses SPA,. CAT, VO, MUL, ENG, DOS, QAA, as their language tags...

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
06 Oct 2008 6:16 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
I must have had a good deal 2 years ago then.

The company I used came down from Marbella side of Mijas and supplied/installed a 1.9 cm dish for 350€

They did schedule the day for when they were in the area. 

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
08 Oct 2008 9:05 PM by lesleyhedison Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Can anyone tell me in the simplest terms the answer to my query

We are taking our brand new still  in carton tv with this tv comes 100 free view channels,we are going just outside of Benidorm,will these channels all come on.

Also has anybody heard anything about SKY being cancelled in some areas of Spain due to Sky not paying the taxes( I.V.A.)

Lesley

Like 0      
08 Oct 2008 9:17 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

the UK freeview IS NOT available in spain - it is a UK only service

spain has its own version of freeview - called TDT - some UK freeview receivers may work with tdt but with some limitations.

if you mean freesat, and your tv has freesat built in then the number of channels you can get wuill depend on the size of the dish you conenct it to.

sky uk are not do not have the programme rights to broadcast in spain, and therefore cannot owe any taxes to the spanish governemt - maybe you are thnking of a rebraodcaster (telmicro) that retransmitted uk tv cahnnesl without permision adn was also caught out by the taxman by not clsaim ing the ocrrect number of subscribers.

for more info :
http://www.satandpcguy.com/forum/showthread.php?55

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 18/07/2010.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
08 Oct 2008 9:26 PM by lesleyhedison Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Thaks for that info,someone has crossed their wires chinese whispers. I used to have a box and card when I lived over there but I went out to Saudi for 2 years,when I got my stuff out of storage some robbing git had stolen the box and card amongst other things.

my  tv says 100 pre-set channels so I still dont know if Im comming or going,guess I will click onto the link you gave me.

Thanks

Lesley

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 8:22 PM by Doug and Chris Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hello

We are about to buy a TV in Spain to install at our Polaris World apartment Hacienda Riquelme.
Will we only get Spanish Channels??
What will we need to pick up English Channels?

Thanks for any help
Doug

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

completion - 2 posts
Happy Birthday Fibby - 8 posts
Help With Nationwide Flex Account - 23 posts
New Road - 18 posts
Web hosting recommendations - 15 posts
Double glazing windows - 1 posts
Help needed with setting up a bank transfer to pay taxes - 5 posts
costa brava - 1 posts
valle ramano - 1 posts
looking for work - 0 posts
Christmas in Benahavis - 0 posts
Please Help - Advise needed on Serious Problem with Spainish Lawyer - 2 posts
INTERNET CAFE - 1 posts
Arenal Duquesa 140,000 euros - 0 posts
Hello from Fuerteventura - 4 posts
freesat - 1 posts
Any news re: communal dish - 0 posts
Manilva Beach - 1 posts
Bankruptcy issues - 5 posts
Emergency phones in Spain - 0 posts
fiestas in Rojales, ?????????????? - 5 posts
The Big Bang - 5 posts
ITV Documentary looking for Brits moving to/living in Spain - 2 posts
Tax Query... - 4 posts
Property Management, Sales and Rental Agent - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x