non resident bank account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Aug 2008 3:20 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

No prob.Abbbb1.

I think that semi.also posted after I started on mine- I got caught on the telephone!!!

The strange thing about our bank account is that we kept reading posts about being charged for Bank drafts and account charges etc. but we had never experienced that!

We have only just started being charged for our debit/credit cards- very strange. I hope Cam doesn't realise and put through a large charge!!!

Gloria and Mike

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 8:58 AM by Marianne Cowan Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

A month ago my account from Santander blocked. I called Felipe, my lawyer and he sorted everything out for me. I had to pay 150 Euros but that was cheaper than the flights. This is his number: 0034952765000.

Hope this helps,

Marianne

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 6:09 PM by pacolopez Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Say Marianne, aren't those martinez echevarria, the law firm you always recommend?

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 8:51 AM by rodger Star rating in Lulworth, Dorset.. 59 posts Send private message

I am worried about frozen accounts. So far it does not seem to have happened. We are with BBVA. Our Agent (PSB in Torrevieja) only say they have heard of others mentioning this but suggest contacting the bank to check our status. Email not answered (sent about 2months ago). So just hoping this does not happen to us. Is it something to do with the way the account was opened and the pocedure the bank used? Like to get more info. on this. I suppose the worst is the electric/water gets cut off and we have to pay a reconnection charge. Obviously other DDs we have would be affected.

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 9:51 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
We are with Solbank, and renew our non-residents forms every two years, via them.  Our account and mortgage is with them, When we purchased the house, in September 2004, we signed the forms then to say we were non-resident, and then in September 2006 and 2008.  The forms are prepared by them, and are just ready and waiting for us to sign.  If we can't make it then our abogada sorts it as part of her annual fee.

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 9:56 AM by saffronbilli Star rating in Dorset and Villamart.... 63 posts Send private message

We too have a joint account with Solbank, and were charged 2 lots of 'non residence authorisaion charge' at 6.70euros and 2 lots of 'commissions/fees peticion certif no residencia'of 20.88euros.

Are these the payments being discussed? We haven't had to sign anything though?

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 11:36 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Rodger, have you read my earlier posts on here all about the freezing of bank accounts ?  We're with Banco Halifax Hispania & there's been endless emails between myself & my local branch in Guardamar. Basically, when you opened your Spanish account the bank will, or should, have asked all whose names are on account to sign individual forms to say you are not resident in Spain. This is repeated every two years. The problem is if you haven't signed the form. Accounts are being frozen, according to our bank & others if you

1) Opened a non resident account & have since applied for residency
2) "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  "  " & since withdrawn your application.
3) "        "         "            "           "           "        "          "         "           "          "         & been accepted & not informed your bank.

The banks should send your UK address a new form every 2 yrs, ours has just sent us ours as it will be our 3rd one.

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 11:56 AM by rodger Star rating in Lulworth, Dorset.. 59 posts Send private message

AH!, now all is clear (I hope!).I have had such a form from BBVA last year which mentioned the two year resign requirement which we signed and sent back. So all should be OK for us but I shall watch out for the next time. It seems strange that the bank has to send this and if it doesn't it cuts you off!

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 12:10 PM by cuadra Star rating. 85 posts Send private message

Is there any benefit to having 2 names on the account (say, for a married couple), or should you just have 1 so that you only have to pay 1 set of non-residence fees?

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 12:26 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi cuadra

When we were with Cam we only put my husband's name on the account as we were never going to travel alone anyway. (Cam charged just under 20€ per person on account & that was over two years ago !!!)

However, we are now with Banco Halifax who do not charge us for this so we are both named on the account.

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 9:41 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
One advantage of having both names ( together with easier management) is that you will have double guarantees of your deposit by the Deposit Guarantee.

Specially relevant in this current times...

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
07 Oct 2008 9:41 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
One advantage of having both names ( together with easier management) is that you will have double guarantees of your deposit by the Deposit Guarantee.

Specially relevant in this current times...

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
25 Mar 2010 6:33 PM by zxcvbnm Star rating. 69 posts Send private message

I had a non residents account for years and they always charged me every other year for the non resident certificate no problem. But then I opened another account as I wanted to change bank and after a few months they froze it without warning. I thought it was a joke, but they said it was just until they got my non resident certificate. After 4 months I got desperate about it, but after seeing the manager, suddenly it was solved in 5 min! Apparently  he had changed it to a resident account without telling me, as they found that I am a RESIDENT. I never applied to become a resident or wanted to become one so that came as a shock. What is the difference between a resident account and a non resident account? Why do they have to change the rules all the time????

Like 0      
26 Mar 2010 8:47 AM by rodger Star rating in Lulworth, Dorset.. 59 posts Send private message

I have an account in Spain which I will soon need to close (as we are now back in UK). Really just waiting for that tax you have to pay when you sell even if there is no CG tax owing (our solicitor has applied for it but it can take up to two years for it to be returned).

Anyone advise on the best way to close it down and get money back in UK?

On the original subject of accounts frozen, is this still a problem? Our bank always sends us a form every two years.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

300th Post! - 1 posts
Avoiding a capital gain - one for legal eagles and tax experts ! - 0 posts
can we submit the Tax form 214 ourselves? - 29 posts
Help – property management/key holding La Torre - 6 posts
mike/karalyn - 0 posts
Bomb exploded this morning in Torremolinos, please will our Roberto check in ! - 3 posts
Generator for sale Mojacar Vera Almeria area - 0 posts
Hello - 5 posts
Spanish company checks - 0 posts
Generator for sale ( Mojacar Almeria area ) - 0 posts
Information, please? - 4 posts
Martinsa-Fadesa - 1 posts
lights - 4 posts
Tonight with Trevor Macdonald - 11 posts
Marbella Occupancy Licences - 0 posts
Beginners on Renting!! - 1 posts
Screwed by a Brit - 64 posts
A new beginning (here's hoping !) - 2 posts
Which Removal Company? - 4 posts
Hoax Virus E-Mail Message - 3 posts
Shocking news: My hometown's Grand Pier burnt down earlier today. - 16 posts
Correct Spanish Address. - 7 posts
hello - 0 posts
If I cant sell - can I walk away without Spainsh bank coming after me in UK? - 7 posts
move to spain - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 174

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x