non resident bank account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jul 2008 4:31 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Just had a thought, may be wrong but does this new ruling apply from the anniversary date of when you opened up your Bank Account.

If so then that may be why we haven't heard as yet.

If your Bank can no longer fill in the declaration on your behalf then I would have thought the fact that some of us non residents have been lucky enough to get on the Padron (don't start me off again) is not relevent in this case.

I did hear through another forum that the new legislation which came into force in January stopping people from registering on the Padron until they had applied for Residencia was made illegal.  But as with most things in Spain what is decided in Madrid doesn't necessarily get adopted in each region.

Pat - Sip cards are a whole different ball game but as you are both retired then you are legally entitled to one in Spain, don't quite understand how you can have your feet in both health services but then that's your business and don't mean to pry.

As to the 3 months NHS ruling, I rarely go to the Doctor's so how they can apply this without resorting to a Big Brother watch and calculation of how long you're out of the country I don't know.  It would be an administrative nightmare, it's bad enought that we have to go through Border Control to get back into the country you've lived in since you were born without having to register every 3 months at the Doctor's just to keep you in what you've paid into all your working life.

Whoever thinks up these stupid rules should be shot

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 4:36 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

It is supposed to be for a less stressful life, but I am begining to have doubt's about that.   I do not remember filling out or signing a non residency form at the bank this year and we did go into B @ V in Donna Peppa.    It sounds like some bank's charge for this and other's do not.        I might ring our key holder he is with the same bank as us.      I really do not want my account frozen.    Pat

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 4:41 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

The Banks do it every other year, from when you open your account.

Hopefully this will also remain the same.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 4:45 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Semi, just checked our copies of our current non residency declarations & it's 27th September, 2006 with Banco Halifax so the next one's not due till after we go out. 

We are on Guardamar Padron.

SIP cards are only meant for residents so unsure how PAT & Roy got theirs. (Nice one Pat )

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/31/2008.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 4:49 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi all we only opened our bank a/c 9 months ago so i hope it is every 2 years we have only just sorted out our apt even though its a new build and learing new things every day bye irene

This message was last edited by irenemontague on 7/31/2008.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 4:57 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes hope you are right Semi we opened our bank account Nov 2006.   But you might be right about having the Padron.         Well everyone was telling us to go and get  the SIP cards so I just went into our local centre showed the Padron and passport and they gave them to us, that might change now though, but their was no problem in getting them not that we have used any facilities their yet hope I  never have to.   Pat

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 5:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Irene, did you sign a non residents declaration though for each person named on the bank a/c ?

Previously, every two years, Cambank took a sum out of my husband's current a/c (it was 17.60€ last time they took it ) We purposely just opened the a/c in his name only to get away with only paying one fee.  Then we decided to change to Banco Halifax as they get you to sign the form but no money is debited from your a/c so our new a/c is now a joint one.

Just been thinking though re the a/c my OH had with Cambank... where would I come into this (had OH stayed with Cam ?) How many only have the a/c in one name. (Yes, I appreciate it is better to have a joint a/c though, if one dies, the a/c is frozen so keep a couple of thousand €'s under your bed to bury your partner as you can't get at your money !) 

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 5:28 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
HI more,
we bank with banco halifax and have had nothing from them.

Hi All.
We are going into the bank next week so will
ask about this and post anything that we find out.

GYPSY

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 5:34 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Is that Halifax in Guardamar like us, Gypsy, then ?

I've emailed them >>>>>>>>>  guardamar@halifax.es

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 5:37 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Hi all,
where does this person who posted called mandy mitchie
get off by scaremongering on this site, also telling people
to get residencia and they may get locked up as well.
WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INFO FROM.

GYPSY

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 5:39 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Hi More,
No I have never been in the Guadamar branch, we always
go to the Torrevieja branch every time.

GYPSY

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 5:53 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

I did wonder at the start of this thread if it was a wind up but did not think anyone would actually do such a thing.      But I could be wrong.       Pat

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 5:56 PM by Mandy Mitchie Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Why do some of you refer to Residencia in the UK? There is no such thing. Have any of you read my last post? This situation is for real and it is happening right now, I am in Spain permanently now.

You all seem to think that a Residencia certificate gives you some kind of Citizens Right in Spain but all it is basically is a peice of paper which states that you have registered as a foreigner in Spain.

Why do you all seem to think that is has any relevence to your status in the UK because it does not. The decree which came into force in March 2007 states quite clearly that if you reside in Spain for more than 3 months, you must register i.e. get a Residencia Certificate.

This is not an option, it is the law and the Guardia are really cracking down on it, particularly in Andalucia. Yes if you get stopped for not wearing a seatbelt you will be asked to produce your residencia certificate. If you do not have one you wil have to prove by way of airline, ferry, or any other form of ticket or document there and then that you have not been or do not intend to be in Spain for more than 3 months. If you have no proof, expect to be taken into custody. The fact that you were not wearing a seatbelt will fall into insignificance.

There are many people that are in Spain for more then 3 months but don't want to register and get a residencia certificate. By involving the banks as well as the padron and the residencia certificate or NIE number, it is another way of the Junta cracking down on the estimated millions of people who are flaunting the system.

A friend of mine went into her bank this morning and they claimed to know nothing about this, but she subsequently received a phone call from the bank saying that they were in the process of complying with the new law which came out in May and eventually all customers would be notified.

Remember in Spain, when a law is passed things don't necessarily happen straight away. Some banks have started sending letters to their customers, others have not. However, you must all realise that as from 31st July, i.e. 60 days from when the law came into effect, the Guardia can, without your knowledge freeze your bank account if you have a non-resident account and have not registered with them (the Guardia) to this effect.

It has nothing to do with the banks, the old proceedure of certification every 2 years was superceded in May 2008.

Good luck to all of you who decide to take no action.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 5:58 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Guardamar is so much more calmer, Gypsy. We were its first customers I think. No one knew about it. When we opened the a/c from the UK we even had to write GUARDAMAR in as our preference as it was not on the tick box options. We actually went into the branch on the day it opened & three staff were sitting waiting for customers walking through the door.

You can email your Torrevieja branch before going in if you want, here's details 

Orihuela 71
Urb. Jardín Botánico, Bloq. 4 A
03180 Torrevieja 
torrevieja@halifax.es 

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 6:03 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Mandy, information is one thing & we thank you for bringing this to our attention &, as you see, we are all working towards sorting it out asap.

HOWEVER, personally, I find your manner in the previous post a little threatening just because you feel we aren't taking it seriously.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

EOS GANG: I've asked Maria de Castro if she has info, ok ?

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 6:27 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi so if we opened an bank a/c 9 months ago we would not have signed this form ?so no one gets payed ?so next time out all are service will be cut off and no morgage payed god help us bye irene

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 6:36 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Try not to panic Irene More has asked Maria for advice let's wait and see what she say's about it all.                       The bank that LizAir is with was very quick to jump.   I would have been fuming.    Well watch this space.   Pat 

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 6:36 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Irene, ALL non residents have to sign the declaration of non residency with their Spanish banks on opening the a/c, it's done when you open as part of the procedure. The bank then debits your a/c with around 18€ per person named on the a/c. The bank then automatically renewes this EVERY TWO YEARS, charging each person named on the a/c around 18€ though every bank charges different amounts. Halifax charge nothing !!

With you not being given anything to take away with you & being asked to sign a, b, c etc it could be you didn't realise you'd signed one.

We opened our Halifax a/c from the UK by post & kept all copies so we have ours.

WE SHALL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS, DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 6:49 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Hi More, 
as usual you are on the  ball, I was just about to post and ask Maria.
hope she will be able to come up with some info for everyone.
Am going now to have a one of these
Back tomorrow.

GYPSY

Like 0      
31 Jul 2008 6:52 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

So Mandy if I have understood you correctly then all the pensioners who spend the winter in Spain on special hotel deals will have to apply for Residencia if there stay goes over 3 months?

I can assure you that I am taking this seriously, in fact my husband came home from work and made the mistake of asking me what's happening on this site.  His ears have taken a bashing as I've explained this whole fiasco.

I call it a fiasco because now it seems that as from tomorrow my NON RESIDENT ACCOUNT may not pay my household bills, which is all I use it for.

When I'm over in Spain if I was stopped by the Guardia, I would be in a HIRE CAR which would have my UK address written on the hire agreement and it would also tally up with my driving license.

I could go on but I won't as I'm very incensed with your post, the main thing is that you are a resident in Spain now and the majority of people on this post are not.

I'll wait to hear from someone who is in the same position as myself and who also lives on Costa Blanca before I tear all my hair out.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

300th Post! - 1 posts
Avoiding a capital gain - one for legal eagles and tax experts ! - 0 posts
can we submit the Tax form 214 ourselves? - 29 posts
Help – property management/key holding La Torre - 6 posts
mike/karalyn - 0 posts
Bomb exploded this morning in Torremolinos, please will our Roberto check in ! - 3 posts
Generator for sale Mojacar Vera Almeria area - 0 posts
Hello - 5 posts
Spanish company checks - 0 posts
Generator for sale ( Mojacar Almeria area ) - 0 posts
Information, please? - 4 posts
Martinsa-Fadesa - 1 posts
lights - 4 posts
Tonight with Trevor Macdonald - 11 posts
Marbella Occupancy Licences - 0 posts
Beginners on Renting!! - 1 posts
Screwed by a Brit - 64 posts
A new beginning (here's hoping !) - 2 posts
Which Removal Company? - 4 posts
Hoax Virus E-Mail Message - 3 posts
Shocking news: My hometown's Grand Pier burnt down earlier today. - 16 posts
Correct Spanish Address. - 7 posts
hello - 0 posts
If I cant sell - can I walk away without Spainsh bank coming after me in UK? - 7 posts
move to spain - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 174

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x