Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Aug 2008 9:57 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
 you pair, go post in health threads 

(To others who think More's above herself, Semi & Jules are two mates of mine, we see each other in Spain & they KNOW I'm only having a joke with them so don't go telling More to calm it, ok ? Jules/Semi  but get yourselves over to health & start a thread about healthcare/NI credits etc. The knowledge will be lost here in a bank thread.)

Got further news from Banco Halifax Guardamar this morning. The declaration of non residency with Halifax is still FREE - E - E - E !!

The three of us are in Spain in October BTW. Semi & I are meeting up so maybe you, could meet us whilst we're over during our stay too, Jules. Must think about that one.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/4/2008.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2008 10:34 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

Hi All ,
I have just received this reply from Banco Halifax;

"it sounds like your friends may have applied for residency at some stage
and perhaps decided not to go through with it.
It is true that if you become a resident you have to change your account. If
you do not change the account the police can send a list to the banks who then
get 10 days to contact the clients before the account is blocked for any funds
arriving into the account.
If you are a non-resident and have never applied for residency you will not
have any problems."

HOPE THIS INFO IS OF HELP.

GYPSY

Like 0      
04 Aug 2008 11:42 AM by LizAir Star rating in Glasgow and Near Est.... 12 posts Send private message

We have never applied to become residents but thanks for this information which I will share with our bank

Best wishes

Liz

Like 0      
04 Aug 2008 12:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I did a search on Cajamar's website for "certificado de no residencia" & found lots of downloads but I don't speak/understand Spanish so will just post info. I don't think it helps.  CAJAMAR

Like 0      
04 Aug 2008 12:22 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar
Sorry More, you are quite right as usual!!! Would love to meet up with you and Semi, will leave you to organise.

Jules

Like 0      
04 Aug 2008 1:58 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

I have just contacted both my lawyer and my bank and neither have heard of this, but my lawyer is going ot phne the police dept today .  Will get back to you .

Like 0      
04 Aug 2008 2:37 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Tamsin - whereabouts is your property?

It looks like this is only happening in the Andalucia area.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2008 7:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Morerosado, found this from the Cajamar link you provided:

Certificados de Residencia o no Residencia en España Por la gestión, obtención o renovación por cuenta del cliente de estos certificados se percibirá una comisión de 25 euros por cada certificado o su renovación

(They charge 25 euros commission for obtaining the certificate of non-residency on behalf of customers)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Aug 2008 10:33 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Rob      

Like 0      
08 Aug 2008 7:23 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Plot thickens... here we go again !

From THE COSTA BLANCA NEWS

BANK EMBARGO SHOCK..... Brits find their accounts have been frozen

By Nuria Pérez and Dave Jones
THE TREASURY is moving to embargo the bank accounts of EU citizens who are not residents in Spain, government officials have confirmed.

Foreigners who have opened accounts with either passports instead of NIE numbers or with NIE numbers without paperwork from the National Police declaring that they are not residents in Spain are being hit.

The situation came to light after an expat complained to CB News that her account had been emargoed while she was in the UK without her knowledge.

As a result and unbeknown to her the bank was no longer paying standing orders or making transfers.

A source at the Treasury department in Alicante explained that the Spanish government is following an EU directive introduced to crack down on tax evasion.

However the source added that they are not informing non-residents of the situation ‘because it would be impossible to do so’.

The source also stated that the Treasury is working ‘little by little’ and that all the accounts will not be embargoed in one go.

In order to have the embargo lifted clients are being asked to provide their banks with an NIE number and a certificate of non residence (un certificado de no residencia).

British citizens affected by the new regulations appear be to those who live in Spain for less than 180 days and who have not declared their ‘non residence’ with the National Police.

The initiative is not only affecing EU community residents – the government is using the legislation as a tool to clamp down on illegal immigrants.

Hundreds of Morrocans have been hit by the embargoes and thousands of non-resident workers from North Africa have been drawing money out of banks before their accounts are blocked.

In response to the information provided by CB News, the British Embassy in Madrid has advised British expats who are non residents to make sure they are registered as non residents with the National Police.

A spokesman at Orihuela town hall told CB News that certificates of non residence are available from the town hall building in Playa Flamenca.

People are asked to call between 09.00-11.00 from Monday to Friday to reserve an appointment.

Non residents all over the Costa Blanca are advised to contact their local town halls to find out where they should apply for their certificate of non residence.

nperez@cbnews.es

djones@cbnews.es

This was brought to my attention by someone posting on my owners forum to us non residents & he banks with my bank Banco Halifax who, as I have posted, gave me assurances that all was well as we had signed a declaration Sept 2006 with them. (Not with the police, with Banco Halifax).

The poster said & I quote "

"On visiting the Banco Halifax we were told that if you hold a non resident bank account these are in the process of being frozen over the next few months by the police if you do not go the the National Police and register, again at a small charge as a non resident. This has made front page news in the CB News today so you can read it for yourselves online. The only information that differs from the paper to what the bank told us is, the paper reports that when the account is frozen they cannot pay your direct debits (so then you could be cut off if utilities present for payment). The bank told us that they would continue to pay all direct debits but it would not be able to allow transfers of money into the account. Of course that would mean that unless you had enough money in the account to pay all of the direct debits that were presented you would be cut off anyway!!  Also just as a reminder if you go below €600 in a Banco Halifax account you are charged."

I therefore has rushed yet another email off to Banco Halifax asking them why they gave out two contradicting advices when I'd asked specific questiions that could only have one answer ?

Like 0      
08 Aug 2008 7:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
"......the Spanish government is following an EU directive"

Ah, good old EU directives again! Seems to me that the idiots in Brussels are gradually succeeding in making our lives a misery, whilst giving individual governments an all-encompassing get-out clause - it's not us, it's the EU.
What I don't get, is if this really is an EU directive, does that mean I'll have to "register" as a non-resident at a police station in the UK? I'm pretty sure I won't (at least, I hope not, as I have no reason to go to the UK normally). 
No, I think it's quite clear in this case that Spain is taking an EU directive and interpreting it exactly as she feels like, and in the process nicely screwing innocent foreigners who are seen as soft targets.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Aug 2008 8:06 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Oh well it looks like we are all going to be busy on our next trips out when ever they are.

Gypsy as you are in Spain we'll volunteer you to be the first to find out what you need to do.  Looks like we need to go first to the Town Hall then register the form at the police station.  I imagine you'll take passport and original NIE certificate as identification.

Another thing to add to my to do list for October.

Still sounds as though they are trying to catch the people working here illegally but they are penalising the non-resident home owners.

Why can't Spain and UK be like the French and stick two fingers up at the EU, not many countries follow directives. 

Like 0      
08 Aug 2008 8:45 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I have been following this thread with interest but have done nothing, purely because it seems that it is only effecting those that have signed on the padron, which we were told not to do. 

We have a non resident account through Barclays, applied for in the UK (with minimal checks as the Wife is staff). Our NIE's were gained via our solicitor under POA. We are up to date on IBI, although we have not tracked down how to pay our basura.

Email to the solicitor due tomorrow,once the Foster has worn off!! We are in the Andalucia region too .

Mark

Like 0      
08 Aug 2008 10:38 PM by peteranne Star rating in York & Los Montesino.... 111 posts Send private message

peteranne´s avatar
This is the first we have heard of this today and its worrying.
We also bank with Halifax, and have signed and returned the non residents declaration to them.
we are going to Spain beginning of September and was going to transfer our spending and DD money over in the next couple of weeks. looks as though we had better take cash!!

Just when you think you have everything sorted - theres something else!!

Peter & Anne   -   www.los-montesinos-spain.co.uk

Like 0      
08 Aug 2008 11:18 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi they are just out to make are time it spain hell bye irene

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 12:19 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
 Peter & Anne

Off topic here  but do a search for the keywords "nationwide flex" & read about having one of these current a/cs in the UK solely really so you can put money into it immediately before going to Spain then, using your debit cards in Visa only ATMs you'll receive virtually bank rates & no charges. Many members have this a/c &, with a debit card each,you can withdraw 450€  daily each. (I think it's 450€, sure it is, anyway £300 each in euros). 

again.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 11:59 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Hi,
I was in Banco Halifax on wed but did not enquire about this as I had previouly received
an e-mail from them which  I posted on here and they assured me it was okay. We were in the
bank to do a transfer from our english halifax to our spanish halifax account and had no problem
whatsoever in doing this. Will wait to see what the halifax say in reply to MORE's enquiry as I know
she will inform everyone what they say.!!

GYPSY

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 12:20 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Gypsy
Won't hear obviously till Monday but course I fully intend posting.  I'll be very annoyed if they've messed me about (us all in here too) as I've asked such specific questions there was only one answer. If they suddenly say things like "oh, but you never mentioned you'd signed on Guardamar Padron" which we managed to do just before the elections & you need residency now to sign on. Smacks of yet more corruption doesn't it ? Let's try to get all the non residents to sign on our Padron SO THEY CAN VOTE !!!     ) then they drop this on us !  

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 9:31 PM by peteranne Star rating in York & Los Montesino.... 111 posts Send private message

peteranne´s avatar
Hi More
Thanks for the info on Nationwide - we will look into it.

We will wait to hear your reply from the bank before we contact the Halifax our selves - they will be inundated!!

Peter & Anne   -   www.los-montesinos-spain.co.uk

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 10:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hola Peter & Anne

You will NOT regret opening a Nationwide Flex a/c I assure you, & hundreds more on here would, (but we have far too many lurkers sadly, around 28,000 mebbee). There are 29,107 members to date !!!

Give yourself around 10 days to get debit cards, card readers (for online stuff) , pins & cheque books & you won't look back.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

300th Post! - 1 posts
Avoiding a capital gain - one for legal eagles and tax experts ! - 0 posts
can we submit the Tax form 214 ourselves? - 29 posts
Help – property management/key holding La Torre - 6 posts
mike/karalyn - 0 posts
Bomb exploded this morning in Torremolinos, please will our Roberto check in ! - 3 posts
Generator for sale Mojacar Vera Almeria area - 0 posts
Hello - 5 posts
Spanish company checks - 0 posts
Generator for sale ( Mojacar Almeria area ) - 0 posts
Information, please? - 4 posts
Martinsa-Fadesa - 1 posts
lights - 4 posts
Tonight with Trevor Macdonald - 11 posts
Marbella Occupancy Licences - 0 posts
Beginners on Renting!! - 1 posts
Screwed by a Brit - 64 posts
A new beginning (here's hoping !) - 2 posts
Which Removal Company? - 4 posts
Hoax Virus E-Mail Message - 3 posts
Shocking news: My hometown's Grand Pier burnt down earlier today. - 16 posts
Correct Spanish Address. - 7 posts
hello - 0 posts
If I cant sell - can I walk away without Spainsh bank coming after me in UK? - 7 posts
move to spain - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 174

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x