non resident bank account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Aug 2008 12:28 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Liz

As your Bank also holds the mortgage there shouldn't be a problem with the delay, they know you are trying to sort out this problem as soon as possible even to the point of paying your solicitor to do it for you.

I thought I read on an earlier thread that you would be out there in two weeks, can this not wait until then to be dealt with?

Would be interested to know how you get on with this distressing situation and what documents you have to show to placate the Police.

It would seem that it's only in the Andulucia region that this is happening, unless of course some else in another region has also been effected.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 12:36 PM by LizAir Star rating in Glasgow and Near Est.... 12 posts Send private message

Semijubilada thank you so much for you support, I will let you know how we get

Liz x

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 1:09 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Liz, we all feel bad for you, we really do. Good luck & let us know on the thread how you get on.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 1:13 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi we have a mortgage with our bank so i hope we will be ok to as we are not out till september bye irene

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 1:33 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Hi all,
where does this person who posted called mandy mitchie
get off by scaremongering on this site, also telling people
to get residencia and they may get locked up as well.
WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INFO FROM.

Gypsy  - do you not think you are being a little naiive .   M
andy has told us some very imporant information which you should be finding out whether it applies to you or not . I have just E mailed my bank and my lawyer with the very helpful information to see what they make of it .  Find out  from a reputable lawyer what is your position.   

Very important points to remember Spain is not the UK with regard to the law .  I was told that if you are stopped by the police and do not have a driving license on you , you can be taken into custody - we did not know that as my husband never carries it is case he loses it .  I read in the paper a few weeks ago that all cars in Spain and France you have to carry a luminous jacket - something that the hired car company do not advise you .  There are many ' hidden ' laws in Spain and thank goodenss  for this site in highlight them.  I  think Mandy should be praised not condemned for bringing it to our attention .    Please please do not be naiive about the Spanish police .   Discuss with the locals about he police  not the Brits who ften have the idea that Spain is just the UK in the Sun - it isn't !

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 1:40 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi tamsin  thank you for your post we dont carry our passport ,all post are helpfull to us all bye irene

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 2:29 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Most of the laws that are in Spain are logical, the Hi Vis Vest, warning triangles etc in all cars have been bought in for your safety.  Can't remember when this became law in Spain but I think it was over 2 years ago and has been discussed fully in the Car Hire Threads.

The Driving Licence, Motor Insurance must be produced if stopped by police (hire car documentation must have valid insurance - always check when you pick up your car at airport)  Again logical if you can't prove that you can legally drive the car you will not be allowed to continue on your journey.

Everyone in Spain must carry photo ID, some people report that photo copies of documents have been accepted and originals have been presented later (depends how fluent in Spanish you are to explain).

I don't think people on this forum joined to talk to Locals, they joined to talk about all things that apply to them as Spanish property owners.  Some people on here have been there, done that and bought the T shirt.  Now they feel able to help others and many do.

I don't think anyone will ignore what has been written and will carry on researching the relevant parts which effect them.

The main thing which started the panic was the timing, in the height of Summer how likely are you to get a flight over to Spain to sort out a frozen account.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 2:48 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Tamsin said : I read in the paper a few weeks ago that all cars in Spain and France you have to carry a luminous jacket 

Tamsin, who's naive now ? (Actually you need to carry one per person travelling at the time & in car not in boot, as well as two triangles, spare specs for driver, spare bulbs etc ). This has been widely discussed for as long as I can remember, not just on EOS either. I follow around 10 Spanish forums & all have extensive knowledge of these regulations..

Mandy's post WAS welcomed though she came over to many as threatening if we took no notice of her post AND THAT ISN'T AT ALL WHAT HAPPENED !! Virtually everyone has been in touch with their banks & those that have, now have it on record that we as non residents are NOT at risk of police freezing our accounts as long as we do sign the declaration every 2 yrs.
Our bank, Banco Halifax Costa Blanca), have said they will post the declaration to us if we weren't in Spain when a new one was needed to be signed & we just needed to post it back to them in the envelope they provided. 

There are ways of explaining things to others & I should know. I've made enough posts in the forums I do post in.

Tamsin, where is your property in Spain ?

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/1/2008.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 2:57 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Hi All,
Reverting back to Tamsins post re hire cars and high vis jackets. 
I'd like to mention that you dont automatically get triangles either, they are not offered, you have to ask for them and pay a deposit (about 20E) per triangle. I was very angry when I hired a car in May, when I questioned why they are not in the cars or offered. I was told by the hire company rep, that it would be ok, if we were stopped by the police and fined the hire company would pay the fine!!!!!!!! I bet.
So make sure before  you set off that you ask for these compulsory pieces of equipment.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 3:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Quite right Sterling, quite right. (Plenty on the car hire threads about all of that too.)

Now .........   please.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 3:21 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
To Tamsin,
No I am not naivve, as I said mandys attitude was very threatening in the
way she worded her posts. I agree with semijubliada  that we did not join 
this forum to talk to locals but as spanish property owners (also people
who are in the process of buying) Mandys post highlighted a new law yes, BUT
she should have checked first if it covered ALL spanish provinces before her
very ABRUPT post.

GYPSY

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 10:33 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

It's very difficult to understand why the Spanish Govt. constantly seem to bring out new rules to harrass the non-Spanish.  I hesitate to call us immigrants because we are EU citizens and are leagally entiltled to live anywhere in the EU we please without harrassment by petty official dictates.  Of course we also have them in the UK, but mostly they are bought in to screw the indigenous population.

I have to agree that the road safety issues are vital, but why not then come down hard in hire companies that fail to comply?  I think that all these additional regulations where we have to pay a fee or fine are just Gordon Brown style tax raising scams.

We have had our place in Spain for just over a year now, have never been there for more than 60 days and have a Fiscal Representative, as well as a bank and neither of them have said a word to date about this new law.  The bank charge us for having a non-residents account (also for a credit card which we never use, but since it is a dual debit/credit card we have pay for it but have no choice about paying).  We keep a reasonably substantial balance we keep there for when we are in Spain, so if we are forced to comply with this stupid new rule we will withdraw everything except a bare subsistance money and take sufficient euro's with us when we go or use our Nationwide card to draw cash.  This will remove several thousand euro's from the Spanish economy which is currentlydeposited gratis, free of interest.

If say 500 thousand of us Brits did this, just imagine the billions of euro's this would pull out of the Spanish economy.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 11:02 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes have to  agree with you xetog,   I still cannot understand why no one else knew about this law being passed, why is it such a secret?    To catch people out, but surely freezing bank account's is making the situation worse, if people cannot pay their bills.    It's beyond me I do not understand it.   But then their are a lot of thing's that happen in UK the politician's must all have the same training or attended the same school.   Well watch this space and see what happen's next.                                        Pat  

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 11:30 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Good post, Zetog.

(Costa Blanca) But, according to various banks yesterday, they are NOT having this problem with accounts being frozen, as long as a declaration of non residency IS signed every two years. Our bank, Banco Halifax, for example, say they will send the forms to your UK address when necessary & you sign & return them in envelope provided if you're not visiting Spain at the time. 

As I posted before I had this from Halifax yesterday ........
"No worries about frozen accounts, it's not happening in non residents situations.
Tha form is usually sent to the UK address with an envelope to be send back to Halifax."

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 11:54 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Well said Zetog,

But as More said, there really isn't a problem. We have been non resident for 8 years and our bank sends the forms  to the UK if we're not in Spain we sign and send them back, they then post them to Madrid. easy peasy.  Although I thought it was a 60 day rule, but there seems to be some confusion most people say 30 days!!! I must check that out we are often there for more than 30 days. I dont want to be the wrong side of the law

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 11:55 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Well said Xetog,
Sorry, misspelt your name and posted twice  what a wally I am.
But as More said, there really isn't a problem. We have been non resident for 8 years and our bank sends the forms  to the UK if we're not in Spain we sign and send them back, they then post them to Madrid. easy peasy.  Although I thought it was a 60 day rule, but there seems to be some confusion most people say 30 days!!! I must check that out we are often there for more than 30 days. I dont want to be the wrong side of the law

This message was last edited by sterling on 8/2/2008.

This message was last edited by sterling on 8/2/2008.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 12:11 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Apologies from me to xetog as I also spelt your name wrong  (but then lots spell mine wrong too)

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 1:05 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Hi More / Sterling,

Xetog is not a name, just a succession of letters I often use as an ID.  As its an unusual combination I dont get silly addresses like xetog12345 etc as with more popular ID's.  However, no problem, call me what you like!

Mike

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 1:17 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi i think if the spanish or any one from the EU comes to england they dont have as many problems as we do when we buy in the EU as in bank a/c  being charged for ,builders going bust ,no licences for  homes in spain after being built ,and then being knocked down ,and phone lines, builders water ,like i am still on ,no road yet to get up to apt, problems with poor electricity power, and then yes poor return for the pound just when people are going to complete sorry for this post all this should not be on hear but needs to be said bye irene

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 1:39 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Hi all,
I agree with irenemontague the spanish just seem to put obstacles in the way all the
time. You would think they would go out of their way to help all of us brits who are
bringing so much money into their country.
I have also e- mailed Banco Halifax to ask about this new law. Will let everyone know
what they say.I will probably get the same reply as more. 

GYPSY

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

300th Post! - 1 posts
Avoiding a capital gain - one for legal eagles and tax experts ! - 0 posts
can we submit the Tax form 214 ourselves? - 29 posts
Help – property management/key holding La Torre - 6 posts
mike/karalyn - 0 posts
Bomb exploded this morning in Torremolinos, please will our Roberto check in ! - 3 posts
Generator for sale Mojacar Vera Almeria area - 0 posts
Hello - 5 posts
Spanish company checks - 0 posts
Generator for sale ( Mojacar Almeria area ) - 0 posts
Information, please? - 4 posts
Martinsa-Fadesa - 1 posts
lights - 4 posts
Tonight with Trevor Macdonald - 11 posts
Marbella Occupancy Licences - 0 posts
Beginners on Renting!! - 1 posts
Screwed by a Brit - 64 posts
A new beginning (here's hoping !) - 2 posts
Which Removal Company? - 4 posts
Hoax Virus E-Mail Message - 3 posts
Shocking news: My hometown's Grand Pier burnt down earlier today. - 16 posts
Correct Spanish Address. - 7 posts
hello - 0 posts
If I cant sell - can I walk away without Spainsh bank coming after me in UK? - 7 posts
move to spain - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 174

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x