Snagging Time

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by alanjfrost Star rating in Sussex and Calahonda. 15 posts Send private message

We are about to complete on an apartment. I want to get it snagged and had assumed that it would be done before completion (otherwise, what incentive is there for the builder to fix faults?) but both the developer and my lawyer say that snagging has to be done AFTER completion.

Can anyone advise?

Like 0      
02 Feb 2007 5:37 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Hi Alan,

Like you I thought that snagging would be done prior to completion, bu have also been told by the agens that this happens after completion. What I am going to do, having got a very good snagging document off the internet, is to go and do an initgial snagging myself prior to completion and give copies of my forms to my solicitor to use in negotiations with the builders.

Regards,

Julia

Like 0      
02 Feb 2007 6:51 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Jules would agree with you. In my opinion snagging should be done prior to completion but if the developer wont then you need to visit the apartment inspect it and list the faults ensure that you are thorough, get the list signed and keep a copy of the signed list. For good order take a torch with you - frequently there is no power and in en suite bathrooms there may be no natural light so difficult to see cracked tiles or poor decoration/installation.

Not all developers snag after completion - for many of them this is done before.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
03 Feb 2007 7:09 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Thanks for your advice Smiley. Who do I get my list signed by as I have been advised not to let them know at the showhouse that is what I am going to do , or they may not let me have the keys to get in?

Regards,

Jules

Like 0      
04 Feb 2007 10:52 AM by alanjfrost Star rating in Sussex and Calahonda. 15 posts Send private message

Thanks Jules and Smiley. Unfortunately I'm stuck in the UK so won't be able to pay an 'unauthorised' visit. I just wanted confirmation that it is indeed normal for snagging to be done after completion.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2007 11:13 AM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

Hi Jules1

Where can I find the snagging list that you found on the internet.

Cheers

Westport

Like 0      
05 Feb 2007 7:03 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi JUles the only way you are going to get access to the property is by advising the developers site office of your intention to visit the property. They will also need to make someone available to go in with you so that faults can be pointed out and noted - get them to sign it and keep a copy of the list - the signed list! Alan if you cant visit the property then important you address it promptly - there is a timeframe during which the developer is obliged to get things sorted - if it falls outside that it will be devils own job gettin it resolved.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
05 Feb 2007 11:49 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Hi Westport,

It is the 'Beginners Guide to Snagging' which is in the blue list of articles just to your right from the Eye on Spain. Scroll down the list and you will see it.  

Smiley, I'll let uyou know how I get on next week with getting my list signed!

Like 0      
11 Feb 2007 2:19 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

There is no legal obligation to allow you to snag the property before completion

There is a legai obligation to provide a list of defects to the builder within 15 days of completion and he then has to repair the defects within a specified time

We always advise our customers not to complete before inspection

You can find more advise on articles that I have written for this site or on our website www.inspectahomespain.com

If you need a free DIY guide mail me at guides@inspectahomespain.com

This message was last edited by inspectahomespain on 2/11/2007.

Like 0      
05 May 2007 12:55 PM by thehalls Star rating in Lomas de Cabo Roig, .... 47 posts Send private message

We completed on our apartment in November. Having only managed a couple of visits since then we have been buying furniture, lights, etc. as we go along.  Have only just decided which lights to have in the lounge area to find that the wiring to the main area over the lounge has no power, and the wiring over the dining area is permanently live (even when wall switch says it is should be off!!). 

Will this still be the responsibility of the builder to put right, even though we completed in November? 

Like 0      
05 May 2007 2:33 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi the halls

We completed in january and when the lights were being fitted we had similar problems. The builder came back and sorted it out for us if that's any help? Luckily we have a great keyholder who liases with builders and furniture deliveries while we're not there too which is a godsend. There has been a few minor issues since which have been sorted as well.

Gina

Like 0      
05 May 2007 2:52 PM by thehalls Star rating in Lomas de Cabo Roig, .... 47 posts Send private message

Thanks, Gina - we have a neighbour who has the keys.  Its just getting the builder to understand the problem, as my Spanish is hopeless!! Will try contacting them again.

Like 0      
05 May 2007 9:00 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi the halls

We have the same problem as our builder doesn't speak english so between the builder, our key holder and the site girl who does speak some english they have managed to sort out the problems between them. Can you get in touch with the site girl or maybe you could try your agent? Either way I hope you get it sorted.

Gina

Like 0      
10 May 2007 10:59 PM by howardandkay Star rating in Daya Nueva near Alm.... 76 posts Send private message

howardandkay´s avatar

I know this might a difficult one to answer, but roughly what are the timescales involved once the builder gives the completion date. That is how long before you sign with the Notary? Is it a few days, a week or longer, presumably an appointment has to be made with all parties to attend the signing and handing over of keys,monies etc.

I'm trying to work out how long I need to come over for and when.

1) Arrive after completion date for 2 week stay in rented apartment?

2) Arrive 1 week before completion?

3) Arrive 2 weeks before completion?

I don't ideally want to rent longer than 2 weeks. We are moving out to Spain permanently (about July)

What are your experiences please?

Like 0      
10 May 2007 11:38 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not too sure I understand your question, but will try to help.

Theoretically at least, the buyer chooses the notary where signing will take place, and a mutually convenient date is agreed between buyer and seller. Most notaries require a few days notice to make an appointment. In practice, the developer/builder will probably tell you which notary you will sign at, and will make the appointment.

When you say "once the builder gives a completion date", I presume you mean a date when the builder says the property is completed (as opposed to completion date being completion of sale/signing date, as in UK)? I think what is perhaps more important is when the First Occupation Licence is granted. As you will no doubt have gathered from other threads, it's generally considered best not to complete without the licence, if possible.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
11 May 2007 8:47 AM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
We have just bought and have four weeks from completion (i.e. when the deeds are signed) for snagging.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Sharp fall in house sales to foreign purchasers on the Costa del Sol - 11 posts
CHILD´S BED FOR SALE. - 0 posts
Spanish Healthcare - 6 posts
Warning! Builder in serious trouble in Monte S.Juan - 1 posts
Ford Focus, 5 Dr, 1.6 Petrol, 3600 Euros - 6 posts
List your items for sale for free - 2 posts
I want to sell my car - 6 posts
English lawyer/ solicitor required specilising in "Spanish Law" to try and get our money back! - 26 posts
MEMBERS .. PLEASE LOOK IN HERE & TAKE NOTE. THANK YOU - 47 posts
Any Spanish people in Atlanta? - 5 posts
Guaranteed Rental Income, too good to be true??? - 36 posts
Any views on Parador - 17 posts
Las Tejas, Mogan, Gran Canaria - 8 posts
LFO for Los Lagos rejected August 16th - 3 posts
Breach of Contract - 71 posts
Breach of Contract? - 2 posts
"Pain in Spain" programme .. - 2 posts
paid a refundable deposit and not been able to get it back? - 4 posts
Website for small loads from UK - 0 posts
Snagging surveyors - 29 posts
Snagging surveyors - 0 posts
SHOPPING .. LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND - 3 posts
Personal Safety - 2 posts
Importing a car into Spain tax free - 1 posts
Lo Crispen ALGORFA Geoffrey - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x