Swimming Pool maintenance ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by alncaz Star rating in Newcastle upon Tyne. 9 posts Send private message

Hi- Looking for some advice on swimming pool maintenance as follows.  Scenario is, 8 x 4 pool covered for 40 weeks per year, what is the least amount of maintenace I can get away with?  Do I need to keep the water circulating all year ? etc etc.

cheers 

Like 0      
10 Apr 2008 6:48 PM by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

Hi,

We have a salt water system - fully automated -therefore no testing of water, manual measuring and dosing of chemicals etc.

It has a digital display - so we just have someone to go around once a week to make sure there are no warning lights flashing.

It costs approx 2000 euros to install - but pays for itself after 2/3 years.

Also we find it far more gentle on the skin AND no nasty red itchy eyes!

Jo

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 6:17 PM by alncaz Star rating in Newcastle upon Tyne. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks randolph

But doesn't it taste vile? 

At the risk of sounding really ignorant, where do you get the water from to fill the pool initially and subsequent topping up?

Cheers

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 7:37 PM by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

No...'tis great!

The salt taste is far less than sea water. In Australia and the Us this system is the most popular. There is no chlorine smell or itchy eyes at all!

Our pool is fully automated. We had it filled with regular water , and any water lost due to evaporation or splashing is automatically replaced from the main water supply.

It is practically idiot - proof........and I've certainly tested that to the limit

Jo

Like 0      
15 Apr 2008 8:29 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Yes, the salt system is very healthy and easy. One of my brothers ( have 5 by the way!) have it in the pool he has at home and it is very nice... also because you float more and better.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
15 Apr 2008 3:44 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

One of my friends has the salt water system on their pool,its a liitle more money to start with but i find it far better.

As everyone has said,no red eyes and you cant really notice the salt.

If you can afford it at the time it is worth it.

Standard chlorine pool will cost you approx 90€ per month for a pool guy.

Like 0      
03 Jan 2009 7:07 AM by Watermaid Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi Alancaz,

Sorry if this is too late - only just found the board.

Your pool can be virtually maintenance free.

My suggestion is to have either a salt system + auto-pH

Or an Ion/Oxydation system + Auto-pH

You then only need to clean the pool and adjust circulation/filtration times for the different pool seasons, during winter some people switch off compleatly, we don't advocate this as the pump can become siezed when left idle for a long time.

Filtration should be longer in August and should always run when the pool is in use - in heavy use it can be wise to run 24 hours to ensure it does not become "overcome with bacteria" with lots of bathers especially children and some adults - little accidents the residual Chlorine can become used very quickly enabling bacteria to breed.

Again pH is the most important aspect of pool sanitising, with a pH over 7.8 the chlorine effectiveness is greatly reduced to between 1~20% pH at 7.2 Chlorine is 70% or more effective.

pH is affected by enviornmental changes - dust, adding water, people, leaves, evaporation - in fact everything including the construction of the pool - Tile grout raises pH.

Hope this helps, drop me an email should yo require any specific advice

Regards, David

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Complete in two weeks - any last minute advice? - 36 posts
Cordoba Accommodation? - 1 posts
Can someone shed some light for me ! ( and hope) - 1 posts
How long to switch on the services ? - 3 posts
Forces Pensions in Spain - 11 posts
televison channels in Guardamar - 0 posts
Spanish restaurant - 1 posts
Landrover discovery for sale - 0 posts
Bitter and Twisted Shows - 1 posts
NEW LENDER CHECKS INRODUCED - 0 posts
Total property protection - 0 posts
Long Term Let Contract for 6 to 11 months - 1 posts
plasterer thinking of moving to spain ? - 3 posts
Help with moving to Spain - 6 posts
Translation Service - 2 posts
free advertising - 5 posts
Can you trade in English Cars in Spain for new i.e Part Ex? - 10 posts
Submarines off Torre Del Mar?? - 0 posts
When is a Bank Guarantee not a Bank Guarantee? - 4 posts
Builders Liability to Pay Fees for Unsold Houses - 6 posts
Perils of selling in the UK ! - 15 posts
Bank Guarantee Process for Claiming - 46 posts
Can anyone recommend a Property Management Co - Los Flamingos, Estapona - 1 posts
Help...! Drains...! - 4 posts
seeking advice on condado de alhama - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x