Good restaurants in the Duquesa Area

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jun 2008 8:58 AM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi JC1

Jolly Sailor was open last week, in fact all the restaurants appeared to be open in the marina.  For anyone wanting an English meal we found La Pagola very good and extremely friendly.

Jojan

Like 0      
28 Jun 2008 2:08 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar
John, if the Jolly Sailor was closed in May,  l can only assume you walked past on a Wednesday, or during the day.

But now, we're open 7 days a week, 5pm til you fall over.

Hope to see you all there soon,

Mark x

Like 0      
28 Jun 2008 4:56 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Sonia 

I agree with you - why do we eat Chinese in Duquesa - for the simple reason that it is good and cheap .  I used to say the same thing but they are the best value at Duquesa .   I love eating at the port but as I said since we have bought our apartment and have been visiting more often we are noticing the difference from winter and summer prices and Duquesa is a very turisty spot .    Can you imagine the prices at Puerto Bamus!!!    In our opinion one of the  best Spanish restaurant is Cruz Blanca or the restaurant on the beach ( can't spell the Spanish name) by the Castillo.   I would also love to try the restaurants at the Castillo but as there are no menus outside we have never ventured in .    When we visit in October we shall venture inland with my sister .

Technoapre - you are very lucky.with all your holidays.   All we want to do it return but I don't want the summer to race by  - hubs is practically counting the days .  Our  apartment is so nice and decorated so so differently than here and of course everything is new . Have a lovely holiday .

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 12:00 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar
La Taberna in Castillo is good value 'British' food so if you want local fare don't go in it. 

Nuttalls Fish and Chip restaurant in Castillo is the best in the area , Eat in or take away. Only open in the evening but very good.

Regards

John

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 12:24 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi all

Reading with great interest, but where is Castillo please?  We must make a visit when we are there in a couple of weeks.

Jojan

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 4:44 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Jojan

Castillo - just means the Castle area . You are at Puerto Duquesa facing the sea - Sabinillas is on the left., the Castillo area is to the right where there are a few beach bars (chiringuitoes)  - and the the little village near the castle there are a lot of restautants which I suspected to be quite expensive but have been recommended.     We go to the second chiringuito where the fish is excellent - try the sardines or the sword fish- best not to go on a Sunday unless you book in advance or don't mind what time you eat.  If the eating place is full of Spaniards or  Gibraltaneans  ( look at the G number plates in the car park ) then you know the food is good.  

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 4:53 PM by jackie12 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

jackie12´s avatar
Hi Jojan,  Re the Pagola Restaurant. We ate in there a couple of weeks ago. It was the most expensive meal we had during our stay ! Certainly not the best ! and an atmosphere that I would describe as being the equivalent to eating a packed lunch in a dentists waiting room !

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 6:03 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Thank you Tamsin that is most helpful we will look for the tell tale signs and try it next time we are out there.

Hi Jackie12 sorry you found it that way we were very pleased with both the food and the atmosphere, wonder if it had anything to do with the time, we were there at about 7.00 pm at night!  We had the early bird menu sat outside and the cherry pie was absolutely deeeelish in fact there were quite a few people in there that were return visitors, the cost was only 15 euros for 2 courses so we didn't feel that was too bad.  Having said all of that we are game to try other places and now have a long list for 2 weeks time.

Jojan

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 6:25 PM by jackie12 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

jackie12´s avatar
Hi Jojan

You will not struggle to find many superb places to eat , just by stepping a few yards of the beaten track . By doing this I would be very surprised if La Pagola became some where that you visit regularly. Our lasting memory was a game being played by the customers in there, it seemed to involve getting the waitress/manageress to partake in a conversation OR smile !

Like 0      
01 Jul 2008 5:27 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Hi All,

Well, we arrived at our apartment at about 11.30pm Saturday night, I had a couple of cold beers straight from the fridge (thank you San Miguel) as it was very, very warm that night (ahem), and then some friends who live in the same Urb. came around ..... anyways, I got to bed at about 2.30am (ahem, hic, hic)

So, Sunday, after a laze about all day, we thought that as there was no food in the apartment, we'd best go out to eat, and catch the UEFA final at the same time.

At the time of day we wanted to eat, and having just flown out from the UK and needed to adjust to the 10-15 degree difference in temp, we thought we'd just have a large 'snack' type meal ..... well, all I can say is we ended up eating at a 'Hambugeseria' just next door to Miel in Sabinillas, and the food was GREAT!!!!! And a very good price.

So, if your in Sabi and want a burger and fries, don't go to Buger King, which is OK, go to this place, fresh and I mean FRESH burger paties, local spuds used for the fries, not frozen 'chips'. The mrs had a chicken and ham panini which was almost as big as the plate, and the plate was BIG.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
14 Aug 2008 9:39 PM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar
My current favourite haunts when in Duquesa are:  Casa Meson Jimenez ( mentioned at the beginning of this thread and where the old Irish bar was.  We ate there twice including once at a fiesta evening with flamenco guitarists.  it is particularly good for kids as there are beautiful enclosed courtyards to sit out in and the kids just played and enjoyed themselves.  If taking kids consider ordering the chicken 'pie'.  It's actually breaded chicken fillet with chips and a fried egg.  We had lovely gambas pil pil, fish, pork, and a house special which was a sort of potato and chorizo omelete.  Really good and very friendly.

I also love Bar el Refugio in the castillo area.  We generally stumble in there late at night after eating in one of the fish restaurants (excellent in that area) if we have a babysitter.  This trip we had to take the kids so we called for lunch and it was simple good food extremely reasonably priced.

I also love the beach bar to the left of the boats in the port ( Called Cubanga I think - more European that Spanish as such with French, English and Italian 'gap year' staff).  They also do shiatsu massage etc in a tent on the beach and hire out jetskis and pedallos etc).  Again - very kid friendly with tractors and trucks for the kids to play with in the sand by the table while we relaxed with a cocktail and the staff were happy for the kids to pretend to ride on the parked jetskis too  our kids wanted to go every night!

We have also eaten twice at Restaurante el Lagar on the way up to Manilva from Sabi, ( turn left through the grape vines after the two supermarkets).  We went for the luchtime menu which was about 12 euros for starter, main and a drink I think (may have included dessert - not sure).  Really good value and such a stunning setting.  A renovated vineyard building with artefacts incorporated into the decor.  It is very high and so there are beautiful views of the sea if you sit out on the large porch and there is a lawn for the children to run on and a good children's menu.

Happy eating everyone!

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 5:14 PM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar
PS - We loved 'The Clubhouse' above the new supermarkets to the left of the golf club this trip.  We had dinner there - great home cooked international fare with an Irish theme!  We also had a lovely breakfast.  The owners do Sunday lunch, paella evenings and you can book golf at big discounts or join the Clubhouse golf society.

Like 0      
03 Oct 2008 8:51 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
itZbar in Sabi.

GREAT!

Towards Duquesa just past Mercadona.

Food is BRILL!

Kev & Martin are a great laugh, wonderful atmos.

Also, cheap beer!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
03 Oct 2008 9:55 PM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar
That's good to know - we planned to try Itzabar but didn't get around to it.

Like 0      
04 Oct 2008 10:22 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

We always have a few meals in Itzabar when we are out in Duquesa and the tapas are fab, highly recommed them

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 11:53 AM by canaries Star rating in norwich. 24 posts Send private message

Where is ItZbar in Sabillinas .Am going over in October & would like to try it . Is it on the front or further back??????

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 12:38 PM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar
It's on the main road near the supermarket not far from Mexicana Pueblo (I think that's what the complex is called) - same side as Arenal etc.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2008 4:43 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

If you come out of the Mercadona supermarket at the front entrance and just the next block to your right is Itzabar.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
19 Oct 2008 9:21 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi All

Just got back from another hot and wonderful break in Duquesa and Jackie12 you were right we tried La Pergola again (it was convenient at the time and we only had their telephone number with us to book a table) and yes you are right - it was expensive, service not very good (didn't seem to care if you were there or not) and apart from the four of us there was only another two people in there, shouldn't that be telling them something - like get off that computer and start attending to your customers otherwise they will join the rest of them in the other restaurants - yes the others were extremely full at only 9.30 pm that night.

However on two other occasions we did try the Italian Il Capatino and that was superb the food was brilliant, we think we could have gone every evening choosing something different every time and still come out with the same conclusion - brilliant, service was also superb and to add to that the two young men seranading were pretty good too.

We did try the new take away fish and chip shop Merlins - haddock chips and mushy peas were good but the service was hopeless they were totally disorganised - probably give them a second chance another time but if we are eating at home we can't go past the English Butcher in Duquesa his meat is tremendous - or could that be the chef who is doing the BBQ -  probably a bit of both!

Ah well it is back to work tomorrow and start saving again for the next time - looks like we could even be persuaded to forget Christmas here - oh what a thought, mind you I doubt the family would be happy about that.

Jojan

Like 0      
20 Oct 2008 3:17 PM by nicky1 Star rating in Essex/Estepona. 63 posts Send private message

I'm sure it is on this thread somewhere but I couldn't see it. Could someone explain exactly where the butchers is in Duquesa.Thanks

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How to avoid Spanish Inheritance Tax - 25 posts
fire baskets - 0 posts
Not what but where? - 18 posts
hi we are tonden - 2 posts
Meeting - 09/06/07 - 54 posts
Driving from Bilbao to Mar Menor - 11 posts
Directions To the Roman Baths - 4 posts
Good Ladies Clothes Shop - 5 posts
Intercom system - 3 posts
This seems very expensive - 0 posts
Looks like a new way to create funds! - 6 posts
Spanish Banking Ombudsman - 37 posts
Completion?-but have to pay 4000 euros for insurance??? - 6 posts
can this business work in spain???? - 6 posts
dont just sit there - 2 posts
Hi - 3 posts
PET FREE COMMUNITY - 4 posts
Directions to Manilva required - 0 posts
golf clubs in Murcia - 10 posts
manilva beach - 2 posts
Traveling to Spain from Bulgaria with new dog - 0 posts
Did you pay CGT Capital Gain Tax (mod 212) between 2003 and 2006 ? - 0 posts
Looking for a fiscal representitive... - 11 posts
What do you all think of..... - 14 posts
NEW MORTGAGE ALERT - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 93

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x