Has anyone got any ADVICE, please???

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

This is related to Spain because it happened here!!

Last week my hubby and me were in our local waiting to do the weekly quiz. He left his seat to get a magazine to rest the quiz paper on and when he returned to his seat, the pub owners dog ( which had been tied up by a ling rope to one of the table legs ) dashed across his path and would the rope around his ankle resulting in my hubby falling heavily on the tiled floor. He hurt both knees and ankles and his elbow and wrist and had a small cut on his wrist too. The pub owner was apologetic and told him to send in an accident report.

My Hubby suffered increasing discomfort during the evening and did not have a good night's rest. We went to the local salud and waited to see the doctor who gave us a paper with his diagnosis and treatment on it ( this was ice packs, paracetamol and rest........come back if it doesn't get any better sort of thing ). We typed put a report of what actually happened intending to give it to the Landlord as requested.

Later that day, an invite came up on my MSN from the Landlord for us to join them for Sunday lunch this Sunday ( We will be in UK anyway, but this was his gesture of goodwill ).

Later we took the report round to the Landlord who greeted it with ' How much are you looking for then?'..............................we were a bit taken aback as we thought he would just pass the report on to his insurance company and see what happened. He kept asking what we intended to do about it and we felt a bit intimidated. The Landlord said he had 'heard' the injury was not too bad'.......................we had never said it was and if you knew my Hubby, you would know that he wouldn't fuss about it. As far as we were concerned, we had done just as the Landlord had asked. Consequently we brought the report back and my Hubby is supposed to decide what he wants to do.

Couple or three points really ( after a long story!!)

1. According to what we have been told, the dog ( and it's untied up sister ) should not have been in the pub ( which serves food ) anyway and the Landlord had been told this ( apparently ). If the dog had not have been there the accident would not have happened.

2. We are / were quite friendly with the ( English ) Landlord and do the quiz and sometimes pop in for a drink or meal and our friends frequent the pub also.

3. Don't want to cause a stink but don't want it to happen to anyone else but feel a bit aggrieved by the attitude especially as we had only done what was asked of us AND the reality is that my Hubby WAS hurt.................and we had not asked for money.

RANT over, but would appreciate helpful advice please.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
20 Jan 2008 4:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Karen

I know your OH wouldn't have caused a fuss, he's a quiet gentleman & I know he has painful injuries.

Faced now with what the landlord is saying I would put it in writing to him, alongwith the accident report he had requested, that you will be handing the report to your solicitor & asking him to take the matter from here. In the letter to the landlord you could tell him he has 14 days in which to notify his insurance company before you do this. Maybe he'll feel different when he appreciates you are not going to sit on this.

Just really depends on what you were hoping for in the end.

As you say the dog & his sister shouldn't have been there.

Good luck.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/20/2008.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 10:01 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Karensun,

I take it he has public liability insurance, he also  has a duty of care towards his customers,at the end of the day his insurance company will be footing the bill not him.

Dont let your hubby suffer for the sake of not wanting to upset anyone,any rational person would appreciate the fact that you would make a claim under these circumstances,try the softly softly first and see what agreement you can reach.

Hope your OH has a speedy recovery.

Georgia

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 3:31 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Karen, I feel for you both.

Seeing as he asked you how much it was going to cost him then maybe you should add up how much you think it's cost you.  Medication, trips to the doctor and factor in an inconvenience cost too.

He's probably worried about the fact that he had dogs in the pub and if so I assume the insurance won't pay out and he'll have to pay it himself.  If he's any sort of decent person he will pay you your costs.

Hope your hubby's feeling better.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

any course fishermen out there - 5 posts
ELECTRICAL GOODS - 34 posts
Aldea Beach Manilva - 0 posts
Import duties - 0 posts
the unknown - 14 posts
It's Starting!!!! - 17 posts
Mediterranean sea levels are rising!! - 2 posts
Bristol airport charging for trolleys !!! - 0 posts
Embalse De La Vinuela, The Dream Nightmares Are Made Of. - 1 posts
RENTAL - 1 posts
moving in march do i bring cot and high chair or get new - 4 posts
Downturn in price - 57 posts
Torremendo (near San Miguel de Salinas/Torrevieja - Alicante) - Rubbish Dump - 2 posts
selling your property - 2 posts
my property - 1 posts
Ikea Malaga - 4 posts
For Justin re "selling your property" board - 0 posts
Off Plan La Recolletta - 6 posts
nuerva ribera beach club - 1 posts
Estudia Espana... cheap Spanish courses? - 5 posts
Easyjet BRILLIANT deal - 7 posts
ray and marilyn - 1 posts
Free business cards for your property - 7 posts
First occupation licence - 162 posts
Sold your spanish property and need to get the funds back to the Uk? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x