Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System - wasting water

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Nov 2014 6:42 PM by paddyw Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Hi
I had a 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis System fitted to get drinking water at my kitchen sink. I knew that there was a pipe connected to the kitchen waste system but was never sure about how it worked. Recently I was in the bathroom next to the kitchen and could hear water movement in the waste system. None of the taps were on and my immediate thought was that I had a leak as the water meter was showing a steady small amount of water being used. Eventually I tracked the water noise in the waste pipes to the filter system. The filter system seems to be continually discharging water into the waste. I googled this and found some people had mentioned this as a downside of filter systems.
I would like to hear from others who have this type of system and whether they have the same problem. I bought the filter system to save me money but I was not aware that it would be adding so much to my water bill. I am thinking of switching it off in view of the continual waste of water.
PaddyW

Like 0      
16 Nov 2014 7:56 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I use these systems for filtering water for my aquarium. They usually produce waste on a ratio of 4:1, so for every litre of filtered water produced, you waste 4, when used at their optimum. Optimum means whatever the membrane has been tested for, usually U.S gallons at a water temperature of around 75F and a water supply pressure around 65psi. Anything less than the optimim will increase the waste produced. The waste water can be collected and used for watering plants, or for flushing toilets, etc. 5 stage usually means you also have a deionising resin cartridge fitted which will remove the remaining contaminants that the membrane can't get to.RO/ DI water should not be used/ relied up as drinking water because all of the useful minerals have been removed.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Seats on monarch - 2 posts
Increased water prices Hidralia - 5 posts
skip hire close to los alcazares - 1 posts
Advice on residency requirements before applying. - 2 posts
Firewood - 0 posts
Damp and Condensation- air bricks and damp proof course - 6 posts
Hi We are UK Family Mark & Kazz & kids - 4 posts
Questions about moving to Gibraltar - 4 posts
Jose Chillon / Fuenlegal - 0 posts
Spanish solicitor - 3 posts
Moving To Fuente Alamo area/region...advice sought - 2 posts
Wishing you the Best Christmas Ever! - 0 posts
Reliable lawyer needed - 22 posts
Flue problems - 3 posts
Stay safe - 22 posts
golf holidays in Spain - 10 posts
Sharing - 0 posts
Thinking of buying in the Murcia region - 7 posts
The cost of Electricity in Spain is really very expensive....... - 27 posts
Liabilities of the developer /promotor - 2 posts
Remembrance Day, Mil Palmeras - 0 posts
Gardening help and tips - 4 posts
blocking ads on filmon - 4 posts
DOES ANYONE KNOWS WHERE THE COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT COMPANY GETS THE OWNERS NAMES - 16 posts
Dodgy financial schemes - 22 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x