POUNDLAND / 99P SHOP

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jun 2012 11:02 PM by HERBY Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

HI

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE ARE ANY EQUIVALENT POUNDSHOPS OR POUNDLANDS IN SPAIN  LIKE THERE ARE IN THE UK.THEY SEEM TO BE THE LIFELINE FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THIS ECONOMIC CLIMATE.AND TO BE FOUND EVERYWHERE.

HERBY

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 12:05 AM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

In Spain we have similar they are known as Chinese Shops as they are run by Chinese, everything cheap. Every town has several.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 12:28 AM by HERBY Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

HI

THANKS 4 YOUR REPLY, BUT IS EVERY ITEM  JUST ONE  EURO OR UNDER OR JUST CHEAP? IN UK EVERY ITEM IS ONE POUND OR UNDER  SOMETIMES SEVERAL ITEMS FOR ONE £

HERBY

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 9:29 AM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Just cheap.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 10:51 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

But often junk - so beware.  You will not find any brand names you recognise in Chinese Bazzars - and a lot of the stuff is not even cheap.  Always worth a look though.  

I have not come across anything similar to Poundland, though some markets have stalls where everything is 3 euros or even 2 euros.   

Brian

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 11:06 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

In some cities there are shops mostly known as "Todo a 100" or "Todo a 1€" where most things are 1€ (or 100 pesetas in the old days).  The original concept was that the price of most articles was 100 pesetas and later 1 Euro.  However, currently the prices, although still very cheap, are often 2 Euros or even 3 Euros.  Very few products still sell for 1 Euro.

I agree with Bri that it is often very poor quality products, mostly from China.  Even so, they are good for certain things and are open every day, even on Sundays.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 11:10 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Yes you are right -  I remember now seeing something iike that in Barcelona, but that was a long time ago.    

Brian

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 12:56 PM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

Sorry, a bit off track this one....

Every time we go to mainland Spain or Tenerife, I like to go into a Chinese Bazaar....to buy knickers!  The Chinese ones are fantastic value and you can't buy any like them in the British shops. They are small but incredibly stretchy so they 'fit like a glove'.

However, the last time I went into the one near Puerto Colon on Tenerife I was made to feel like a shoplifter while I was looking through the piles of knickers to find the right sizes and colours that I wanted.  I heard the Chinese lady and chap (looking after the shop that day) have a loud argument about something.  Obviously, the argument was about the guy telling the lady to keep an eye on me in case I was trying to steal something because the lady started following me as I searched for what I wanted, standing right next to me in a most initmidating way whilst I looked through a pile of knickers.  I thought I would try to ease the situation by talking to her so I smiled and explained to her exactly what I was looking for.  She just scowled at me and said they didn't have any of that particular brand.  Well, I knew they did as I had just seen them but I hadn't been able to find my size!  I walked out of the shop there and then and promised myself I wouldn't enter that particular shop again! 

I have since learnt how to say, in Spanish, 'A smile costs nothing' as it's not only the Chinese in Spain that find it difficult to be civil to their customers sometimes!

Una sonrisa cuest nada!

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 3:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

A friend of mine has a Chinese lady friend who is involved in the management of a chain of Chinese shops.    She said a lot of the stuff they sell is crap but as it is so cheap hardly anyone ever comes back to complain or ask for a refund.

One tends to get what they pay for.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 3:51 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi

I also find a lot of items especially toiletries, paper plates

ect for b.b.q. s are a good price in DOMTI shops.

liquid hand soap is very good value for 60 cents

also stationery, notebooks and pens. I also buy

air freshners,drinking  glasses, hand towels, all cheap

and good value

coolyes

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 2:42 PM by brownhog Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Near me in Los Altos, Torrevieja there are 5 Chinese shops. All of them are housed in former supermarkets, selling identical items although the prices vary a little. 

The staff (mostly Chinese) are often disagreeable and unwelcoming and reluctant to exchange goods. In fact quite a few have a notice at the till - NO REFUNDS. Why do people frequent them -  it's an unpleasant experience when lightening your wallet.

Personally I shop at the Bazzar Espanol which I find is competative pricewise, and owned by a helpful Spanish family. It doesn't make sense to shop at these huge emporiums unless you can't find what you are looking for elsewhere at a decent price.

We should all support the local trader in this economic crisis, and spend a few more cents in order that we don't lose sight of what our towns and suburbs are becoming.

Brownhog

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Newbie to the Forum - 0 posts
MODERN AND TRANSPARENT JUSTICE IN SPAIN - 0 posts
Ideas for nice towns within an hour of Alicante Airport? - 21 posts
Orihuela town hall to deal with illegal properties that evade paying taxes. - 0 posts
Teleast - 3 posts
Things to do in September - 0 posts
Good quality external white paint needed - 2 posts
nearest medical centre to Corvera - 2 posts
La Union Accomodation - 0 posts
Enquirey - 1 posts
Reversing Lights - 10 posts
water bill - 2 posts
Chat to English speaking Costa Del Sol -Seville - 4 posts
Ok, i know Catalunya is a big area but.... - 1 posts
Ryanair website???? - 6 posts
shower and gas bottle water heaters - 4 posts
C Bar - 2 posts
Garage Bleepers - 2 posts
Manilva Park Green - 0 posts
Looking to rent top floor apt/townhouse for 3m+ - 2 posts
POTATO VODKA - 0 posts
Suzuki LTZ400 quad. Help required. - 0 posts
PLEASE HELP!! URGENT!!! 3 BED PROPERTY NEEDED. - 0 posts
EMZ car hire - 7 posts
PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! malaga villa urgently required - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x