Reversing Lights

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Jun 2012 11:56 PM by mumashine Star rating in Near La Serena Golf,.... 27 posts Send private message

mumashine´s avatar

Hiya

Can one of our car experts advise please.

In conversation with a friend in the UK - I was advised that it is illegal to have a car in Spain with only one reversing light - would this be correct  - only I hadn't heard of this one before.

To be honest I couldn't find too much on the internet either.

Thanks

With regards,

Mumashine

Like 0      
17 Jun 2012 8:47 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have a Spanish car.   One reversing light but of course it’s on the left side. 

UK vehicles often have only one also but  on  the right, which  would be illegal in Spain, although not for a tourist.  Just like headlights that dip the wrong way.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2012 2:22 PM by mumashine Star rating in Near La Serena Golf,.... 27 posts Send private message

mumashine´s avatar

Thanks johnzx - thought it had to be something like that to be honest.

Regards

Sandra

Like 0      
17 Jun 2012 3:41 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

I have always been told that reversing lights are not covered by MoT/ITV as they are not mandatory on a car. They are there for the convenience of motorists and so long as they are not too bright and shining in other motorists eyes there are not really any major rules. However if you only have 1 light that usually means that you only have 1 high intensity rear  'fog' light. This has rules as to where on the vehicle it is. It HAS to be on the offside so that is why on cars with only 1 light you have to change them for 'continental' use if you import it.  If you are permanently bringing a UK car (right hand drive) to Europe it might be possible to just put a single 'self contained' rear fog light on and disconnect the original 1 on the right hand side. Also depending on the car it might be possible to just switch the wiring and put the correct colour bulbs in.

I think that johnzx has mixed up his right and left. Basically the rear fog light HAS to be on the drivers side (left in Spain) but can ALSO be on the passenger side. These rules do not apply to tourist cars that are only here for a short time. Its the same with the headlights, they can have stick-on deflectors for tourists but not for permanents.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2012 4:44 PM by Julianx Star rating in Spain. 61 posts Send private message

edited

This message was last edited by Julianx on 17/06/2012.

Like 0      
18 Jun 2012 3:47 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

You don't need fog lights.  However, if they are fitted they must be on the correct side.  Actually steone said johnzx had his left and right mixed up and then mixed up his left and right.  The rear foglight is actually on the passenger side (the right).  

Like 0      
18 Jun 2012 4:04 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

Was down the ITV centre at San Pedro del Pinatar last week and watched then doing the tests, and they did indeed check the rear fog lights. One thing I was that was a bit bothering to me was, I noticed they were not checking the emissions on Spanish owned cars being driven through and merely held the nozzle of the metering hose away from the exhaust. Tho every English owned vehicle was being checked correctly. This happened on diesel and petrol engined vehicles !!!!!!!

Like 0      
18 Jun 2012 4:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Babaol

I have just checked my Spanish car. The rear ‘fog light’ is on the left and the reversing light is on the right.

Steve

I have been taking my vehicles to the ITV test for several years, and I cannot recall them ever checking my front nor rear fog lights nor the revering light. They certainly check the emissions both on my cars and motorcycles, of course all Spanish reg.

Like 0      
18 Jun 2012 5:01 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Whoops!  Sorry, I was referring to reversing lights.  Why I got fogged down with foglight I don't know.  Perfectly correct, reversing light on the right.  

Senior moment (get a lot of those nowadays).

Like 0      
18 Jun 2012 5:10 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Bob nice to know I am not the only one.

Like 0      
18 Jun 2012 5:23 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

In future folks we all need to wear our white kid leather gloves with L/I on one and R/D on the other. This way, with a bit of practice, we might just get to remember which way is Right/ Derecha etc.  I use them all the time but sometimes put them on the wrong hand.

Bob

I prefer to call it a KRAFT moment. For those of us that do not know, it stands for Can't Remember A  F****** Thing

now stop laughing and get back to serious thoughts

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

water bill - 2 posts
Chat to English speaking Costa Del Sol -Seville - 4 posts
Ok, i know Catalunya is a big area but.... - 1 posts
Ryanair website???? - 6 posts
shower and gas bottle water heaters - 4 posts
C Bar - 2 posts
Garage Bleepers - 2 posts
Manilva Park Green - 0 posts
Looking to rent top floor apt/townhouse for 3m+ - 2 posts
POTATO VODKA - 0 posts
Suzuki LTZ400 quad. Help required. - 0 posts
PLEASE HELP!! URGENT!!! 3 BED PROPERTY NEEDED. - 0 posts
EMZ car hire - 7 posts
PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! malaga villa urgently required - 0 posts
Question for you... - 0 posts
Expert to help me import uk motorcycle to Spain - 1 posts
Very cheap cars ooyo website - 1 posts
How to complain about medical treatment? Any ideas welcome - 3 posts
pool help - 13 posts
Flat roofing in Durham - 0 posts
Home in Tormos wanted Private Sale only - 0 posts
VICTORIA DEL FINCA PARCS GRUPO DE ACCIÓN EN EL JUZGADO DE PRIMERA INSTANCIA - 0 posts
Current Spanish PAYG deals- June 2012 - 5 posts
Anyone Recommend a Bulding Surveyor Costa Blanca South - 2 posts
Its a Loan, NOT a bailout!!?? - 33 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x