Restaurants in General

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

No, there's not a place called General.  I just wanted to know why the waiters and waitresses in Spanish restaurants are so darned miserable?  Just been out for a week and ate in some lovely restaurants but, apart from the Chinese one, we never saw a waiter or waitress smile once.  One particular restaurant, the Bali Hai in El Galan, has a lovely menu, loads of choice, reasonable prices etc. but the most miserable set of serving staff I have come across.  Even though I spoke Spanish throughout, got understood, said please and thank you and smiled everytime she came to the table, not a glimmer.  The only joy the waiter seemed to get was when he told one couple they couldn't have Sunday lunch because the sign said "reservations recommended",  (It was a Sunday, the sign said Sunday Lunch and the reservations bit was chalked at the bottom, out of sight unless you moved a chair),  He seemed to enjoy saying "No roast potatoes, chips and salad only, several times.

The Chinese restaurant across the road, by contrast, was full of smiling staff and it made it a pleasure to eat there and not just for the new 1-2-3 menu (That's 1 euro starter, 2 euro main course, 3 euro dessert).  I noticed in other restaurants, whether on the sea front in Torrevieja or Guardamar, not a flicker of a smile from anyone.  Maybe it's just me?

Anyway, to put it all back in perspective, stopped at a motorway cafe on the M5 on the way back.  Cheeseburger, chips and a small coke was £8.20.  Wow, great to be back.

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 11:13 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I just hope Susan doesn't read your post...you'll get her started on this subject.

We find the same in a lot of places.  The staff seem to be very serious and not very smiley. 

We've all be harping on about "El Estribo" restaurant in this section because apart from the food being great the staff are really friendly and happy.  I think you are right though, many restaurants don't have this "happy" feeling.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 7:40 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Must be you guys!

When we go out to eat in Torremolinos, we usually go to a very popular Argentinian place called La Baracca (C/Casablanca). The little guy who's been head waiter for as long as I can remember positively beams from ear to ear all night long, and actually looks like he's about to burst into song at any moment. Could be beacuse he has shares in the place. Last year they took over the locals next door and across the way, and their menu (irrespective of which part you are in) includes everything from tapas, pizzas, camperos, mixed grills, stuffed jacket spuds, huge salads, kebabs....perfect if you're with a group of indecisive friends! Great value, too.

Another very popular Spanish restaurant is Lanjarron (C/Europa). Although we haven't been there for a while, and don't go very often at all, even if we pass one of the waiters in the street they wave and smile and say hello. Perhaps that's why they're popular?

Or maybe it's just me?!  (More likely the better 'arf)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 8:02 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

I agree with Roberto - most restaurants we have been to in Spain have had lovely, friendly staff.  I can only think of 2 exceptions in all the years we have been to Spain.  The first was in Madrid, where the elderly waitress seemed to be ignoring us.  John thought it was because we were Brits, even though we spoke to her in Spanish, however I noticed that she was also ignoring a young Spanish couple.  I was determined to get her to smile and eventually got a glimmer just before we left.  It could have been because she realised we were leaving, though!   Also, we went to a restaurant in Jumilla, which will be our local town when we move to Spain, and the waiter there was a miserable so-and-so.  We vowed not to go back, however as the food was good, we may try and again and hope that he no longer works there or that he has learnt to smile!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 11:59 AM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar
We've found it to be a mixed bag, some staff are friendly, others not so. We especially like La Posada (cancelada), same staff and very friendly and welcoming.    I think the more you visit a restaurant and get recognised as a regular the staff do become more pleased to see you, we have our favourite haunts and have found the staff that recognise us are usually genuinely pleased to see us.......could be cos im a generous tipper though!

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 11:14 AM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
Just back from two weeks and found all restaurant staff (Estepona area)  100% better than over here and some of the banter was great and we cannot speak Spanish.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 1:04 PM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar
Must be Estepona in general then Tinto, thats where we have our apt and tend to stick to that area too because of the friendliness,  they dont seem to mind too much if your spanish isnt up to much either, even when you do attempt to have a go they always answer back in English anyway!

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 11:05 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Gotta say that I agree in general that the staff in most restaurants in Estepona, Marbella and the surrounding areas are very friendly and welcoming - especially agree with Hobby about Posada at Cancelada (great value too but lets not tell everyone considering how small it is). Banus I guess can be a little impersonal but guess that goes with the territory as it is so commercial and there is a lot of abuse from Euroyob (male and female alike) that turn up on their stags and hens. However even there, there are some notable exceptions where there is great atmosp`here and a friendly smile.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!! - 13 posts
Urbanisation Licences - 1 posts
Selling Spanish Cars in Spain - 0 posts
jean - 2 posts
Feria de Algeciras - 4 posts
Advice on installing air conditioning - 0 posts
Bucket Help!!!!!!! - 32 posts
Garrucha/Mojacar rental - 0 posts
Yes, buyers can and do get properties surveyed in Spain!! - 3 posts
Air Con - 1 posts
Hi - 1 posts
Renting Property - 4 posts
? Any check-in hold ups travelling to Spain from UK? - 25 posts
BANK CHARGES FOR PAYING UTILITIES - 1 posts
At what point does an Agents Obligation stop in the process of sale - Your Views - 125 posts
Estepona Wifi Hotspots - 6 posts
Golf Course - 3 posts
Where can i buy a shower screen near Vera/Mojacar for Valle Del Este - 0 posts
Roman Oasis - sabinillas - 17 posts
Bank Charges for paying bills - 0 posts
AIR CONDITIONING - 2 posts
WiFi Mast Insallation on a Complex - 4 posts
Garden plants - 22 posts
Buying a spanish car in Spain - 47 posts
Builders versus owners - what can be done? - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x