? Any check-in hold ups travelling to Spain from UK?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had experience of the supposed BIG holdups at UK airports due to the Spanish authorities needing detailed inof. of all travellers.

I believe the new ruling came in on wednesday of this week.

We are travelling next week and wondered how it might affect us.

Thanks...............

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
16 Jun 2007 9:45 AM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar
I am wondering this too as we are back out on July 19th with Flyglobespan.  The British Airways site is set up now for travellers to give advance info when travellin to Spain byt Globespans is not! Hope this doesn't mean big airport delays...

Like 0      
17 Jun 2007 1:59 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

carolinej.

Hi,

By its very nature Globespan operates out of three Scottish and 1 English airport. I would imagine that unless you are flying from Glasgow, check in delays should be minimal,since the airports at Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Tees Valley are fairly quiet airports. Glasgow however, as a major International airport could be quite a different story.

Fibby.

Ask yourself this question would anyone actually notice any more major delays at check in at Gatwick? The place is at saturation point in its passenger handlling facilities. It used to be that the two hour check-in left you hanging around the departure lounge for an hour and a half. Now two hours is absolutely vital to get past Tonys Scaremongering Anti-Terrorist Security Screening and his Immigration Conrols. When my wife flew out a couple of Saturdays ago she arrived at 1130 for a flight at 1520 to Granada. It actually took the full two hours to get through to the departure lounge. Right up to doors closed on the aircraft there were people still arriving at the gate. I am too much of a cynic to believe that this is nothing whatsoever to do with the so called terrorist threat, its about Control. And its one of the main reasons I left the country. The country has gone totally to pot. Of course Blair will never experience airport check in delays, he and his cronies can bypass all of the checks, and I bet Cherie isnt limited to one clear polybag of makeup or 100 mls of water...

For comparison her check in time at Granada for the return flight a week later was four minutes from checking in to arriving at the security gate and then a further two minutes to get from security to the departure gate.

Also, check out the police at Spanish airports; yes they are armed, but the gun is holstered, and these are just your average Spanish Plod. Then look at the police at Gatwick... West Sussex Police versions of Judge Dredd. Strutting around the place in two's, Heckler and Koch MP5 machine pistols at the port arms position, body armour, I wouldn't go anywhere near them, they scare the sh*t out of me and thats exactly what the government intended.

So if you should encounter any delays, I think its far more likely to be caused by the ineptitude of the government or the fact that Gatwick just cannot handle any more traffic, be it human or aircraft, rather than the requirements of the Spanish Government. The airlines do have the responsibilty to ensure that the information required on each passenger is available, but If the travel agents and or websites are kept updated it really shouldnt be a problem.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 9:48 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I just went on to the local airport website and they seem to be very laid back about it.

I was going to ring and see what we were supposed to do as we fly out on Thursday but I don't think i'll bother now.

Laury

Advance Passenger Information (API) for passengers to SPAINtotop

New rules apply for passengers flying to Spain from 13 June 2007.

The Spanish Government have introduced new regulations whereby airlines must provide the Spanish authorities with certain personal information about passengers before the aircraft leaves the UK. This information is known as Advance Passenger Information (API).

All the required API information (full name, nationality, date of birth, passport number) is on the traveller's passport.  Passengers need only present their passport at airport check-in and the airline's representative will then be responsible forwarding the information. 

Airlines may also offer passengers the opportunity to register the required API information before arrival at the airport either through their websites or travel agents.

Spain is the first European country to require the collection of API for visitors but the policy is expected to be introduced in other member countries.  

Laury

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 10:06 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thanks for the info LauryC, we are going to get there a bit earlier Wednesday just in case!

Rgds,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 12:22 PM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar
Thanks for the info eveyone.  I will checkout Durham Tees Valley's webite.  Didn't think of that!

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 3:09 PM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar
No hold ups from Luton airport, breezed through on Wednesday, going through security was quicker too as theyve removed the screens so you can see  the shorter/quicker moving queues!

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 10:19 PM by dyfan Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

Flew from Cardiff to Alicante on 15 June (for long weekend) - no hold ups at all.  When we arrived at Alicante airport at 13.50 there wasn't even anybody checking the passports on arrival.

When we flew back today (18th) no delays whatsoever.

Ann

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 11:29 PM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar
Neither Globespan or Durham Tees Valley Arport have anything about it on their websites yet.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 10:03 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thanks for all your postings!

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a breeze too!

FLying into Murcia instead of Alicante, as Monarch opened this new route in May.

Hope I don't get lost on the way to our place!!!

Rgds,bv

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 11:12 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

According to the Daily Express, the new regulations only come into effect today.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 11:25 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Oh gawd nfm2862!!!!!

That means all these postings are BEFORE the new regulations!

Not much hope for me tomorrow then!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 11:41 AM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

Advanced Passenger Information (API) required for travel to Spain from 13 June

25 May 2007

Spain is bringing in new security rules from 13 June 2007

All airlines will be required to collect specific information from every passenger travelling to Spain, under the Advance Passenger Information (API) regime.

Airlines will be responsible for collecting the compulsory information - full name, nationality, date of birth and passport number, either through their websites, travel agents, or at check-in.

Spain is the first European country to require collection of API for visitors. However, the policy is expected to be introduced in other EU member countries over the next 12 months.

If you have any questions, please contact your airline or travel agent for more information

This was on the Luton airport website Fibby, so not all postings were in vain!

Sorry Laury if Im almost repeating your post - but in response to Daily Express comment, it does specify June 13th as the start of the new regs.

This message was last edited by hobby on 6/19/2007.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 12:05 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 6/19/2007.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 12:05 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Fibby

This message is on the Monarch Website today.

Have a great trip.

Noreen

Advance Passenger Information (API) for ALL Spanish flights - data collected at airports with no current delays to check-in process. There is no need to contact Monarch prior to travel.

From 19 June, all passengers traveling on flights to Spain will be required to provide additional information prior to their flight as the Spanish Government moves to introduce entry procedures, similar to those used in the US.

All passengers will be required to provide their full given names, surnames, nationality, date of birth and travel document number (passport or ID card number) when checking in for their flight. This process will require the check-in agent to swipe the passport through a computer, or to manually enter the data, if the required computer system is not available at the departure airport.

A trial has been successful completed at Manchester Airport plus Scottish Airports and is currently underway at London Gatwick, with all other UK bases starting to collect the data in the coming weeks.

Please check-in as normal, all data is collected at the airport so there is no need to contact Monarch prior to travel.

Passengers booked on scheduled flights and wishing to use the online check-in facility or CUSS (Common User Self Service) check-in kiosks at Manchester will be able to provide their data at the ‘fast bag-drop’ desk or at the departure gate.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 1:06 PM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

Obviously the airlines and airports are deciding for themselves as to when to introduce the more stringent checks, the start date being 13th June.(Wasnt having a dig at you Noreen, just posting what I had read).

Most airlines appear to have nipped it in the bud early by encouraging passengers to give their information on the appropriate websites when booking online, the only hold ups will be when passengers checking in havent given their details (usually those booked at travel agents/through tour operators from what I understand).

Have a great holiday Sue, Im sure you'll be fine finding your way, just smell the vino!

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 2:18 PM by Rusty2712 Star rating in Benalmadena Costa. 71 posts Send private message

Seems to be some confusion over dates, it DID come into force on the 13th however Spanish Authorities were giving Airlines a bit of time to get to grips with it before fining them for missing/incorrect info.

The honeymoon period was supposed to end on the 19th but if airlines are showing that they are trying to get the info then they will not be fined as much.........

I fly from Liverpool to Malaga on the 3rd July with Easy Jet, they emailed all UK to Spain passengers and asked them to log on and input the information needed, shouldn't be any delays there hopefully.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 4:00 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Flybe just said they will collect the data at checkin as I posted earlier.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 10:37 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thanks for the good wishes Hobby, the vino will be warm when we get there, but who cares, I will still get it down my neck!!!

Rushing now, doing last minute things before our flight at 5.30 this afternoon.

Will be on line in Spain, so yous lot don't get rid of me that easy!!!!!

I will give you all weather report daily, just to rub it in!!!!

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 10:49 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Have a good trip Fibby.

We fly out in the morning and Flybe e-mailed me to offer online check in.

I did it and they didn't ask for any extra information at all, just the passport numbers.

Seats are allocated and boarding passes printed. No queues for us.

Hasta Luego

Laury

Laury

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

BANK CHARGES FOR PAYING UTILITIES - 1 posts
At what point does an Agents Obligation stop in the process of sale - Your Views - 125 posts
Estepona Wifi Hotspots - 6 posts
Golf Course - 3 posts
Where can i buy a shower screen near Vera/Mojacar for Valle Del Este - 0 posts
Roman Oasis - sabinillas - 17 posts
Bank Charges for paying bills - 0 posts
AIR CONDITIONING - 2 posts
WiFi Mast Insallation on a Complex - 4 posts
Garden plants - 22 posts
Buying a spanish car in Spain - 47 posts
Builders versus owners - what can be done? - 12 posts
penthouse available for long let in costa del sol - 1 posts
Spanish Tax Liability - 4 posts
Hi dinky Lo Crispin - 16 posts
Renting my apartment. - 2 posts
death duties - 15 posts
Fencing - 9 posts
WANTED RENTAL - Benijofar - 7 posts
RENTAL WANTED - BENIJOFAR - 3 posts
Which Form? - 1 posts
"Bumber" newsletter - 4 posts
Contacting the developments - 4 posts
Grupo Urbasa build delays - 3 posts
M&M - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x