WiFi Mast Insallation on a Complex

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by leawillow Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

There is pressure from within our Community to install a WiFi Mast, located on the roof of our block and have sub - transmitters on the other blocks.

I have an objection against this installation because of the real (or perceived) emissions being of danger to my family. Also I believe it could have an adverse affect on the value of our apartment.

Is the community allowed to do this and what rights do I have available to stop this going ahead?

Like 0      
17 Jun 2007 5:08 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Hola, can you put in your profile so we know where you are please. Thanks.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
17 Jun 2007 6:17 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Leawillow, have you researched the potential health hazards involved here?  From what I've read, they are not proven at all.  How large is your community and is this hotspot just to serve your community?    A wi-fi mast for a small community is nothing like a mobile mast installed by a main telephone service provider - in fact, as far as I am aware, it needn't even be a "mast" for a small area.  It may be a dish even.

For example, we have five computers in our home, linked to one connection wirelessly (except for my computer which is cable connected, the others link wirelessly) and that is from a tiny modem on my desk.   And, if my network wasn't secure, I know households in the immediate vicinity could access our connection as well.  We managed to piggy back numerous unsecured networks whilst on vacation last year on my husband's laptop, and I am sure those connections had the same sort of set up we have at home here.  So scale it up and you are most definitely not talking about a massive mast emitting giga-watts of energy!! (or whatever the terminology is).

Personally, we have a community of about 700 apartments and there has been suggestion that we should look into installing a wi-fi hotspot - rather than each individual owner have to pay for adsl installation in their apartment.  It could be an added value to the community, rather than a damaging aspect to your property values.

However, if this is something you feel strongly about, I'm sure Karensun will be able to advise of your rights in the community.

All the best,

Like 0      
17 Jun 2007 7:11 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Hi Leawillow, it's Karensun again !
Just so I understand...........................you do mean a WiFi system ? Or do you mean a mast that transfers a signal to another signal?
A WiFi would enable everyone to be connected on a wireless system but the other type of mast requires each person to be 'hard wired' to the mast in order to recieve broadband.
When a company approached our apartment block to install the latter type of mast, my husband, who is Preidente, and myself did loads of research about the effects of this mast and the conclusion was that there is no evidence of any danger to humans.
WiFi is now present in many areas in England and from lots of places you can get a free internet connection, ie, Norwich.
There has been a programme fairly recently, Trevor MacDonald ( again ) about this system mainly about it's use in schools. The programme was, as you would expect, heavily biased against WiFi. The chappy from the World Health Org. was only given about 5 seconds of coverage in the half hour programme.
During the programme, in a classroom environment, the effects of the WiFi was measured and the only time it came over what is supposedly the safe average was when the kids were downloading something.....................which as was pointed out.......they were not supposed to be doing anyway!.
From the point of view about your rights in the Community, the Presidente has the right to agree to anything which benifits the Community. Obviously any Presidente should take into consideration all points of view and ensure there is no danger to anyone.
We have the type of mast that sends a signal to another signal and has to be hard wired, the agent pays the Community 300euro each quarter for allowing them to put this mast on the roof, so it is a benifit to the Community.
Considering the amount of TV aereals and other objects ie pagodas etc that are already on the roof, the mast, although higher, makes very little aesthetic difference.
The contract from the agents also states there is no danger from this mast from emmission or radiation. It is a proven fact that there is probably more danger from your microwave.
Please understand that I write this not from trying to justify the fact that we have a mast on our roof, BUT from some extensive research.
Hope this helps.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
09 Oct 2009 9:55 PM by derdrack Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi: I guess my response is a little late but all the same, just incase somebody reads.

Wifi is either 2.5Ghz or 5Ghz and neither is linked to any evidence of  harmfull effect.

These external devices rarely operate above 400mW.

You are at far greater risk from your home microwave and definately your bluetooth devices (Work at frequencies very close to microwave)

And yes I do operate wifi networks, install for urbanisations, etc. But the above info is true.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Garden plants - 22 posts
Buying a spanish car in Spain - 47 posts
Builders versus owners - what can be done? - 12 posts
penthouse available for long let in costa del sol - 1 posts
Spanish Tax Liability - 4 posts
Hi dinky Lo Crispin - 16 posts
Renting my apartment. - 2 posts
death duties - 15 posts
Fencing - 9 posts
WANTED RENTAL - Benijofar - 7 posts
RENTAL WANTED - BENIJOFAR - 3 posts
Which Form? - 1 posts
"Bumber" newsletter - 4 posts
Contacting the developments - 4 posts
Grupo Urbasa build delays - 3 posts
M&M - 4 posts
The Banana Tree, Quesada, Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Insurance advice - 2 posts
Minor D-I-Y Crisis...Suggestions please! - 8 posts
masa inspection trips - 6 posts
From John K - 4 posts
COMMING OUT ? WANT A WEATHER UP DATE ASK ME - 22 posts
Guess who has just been in my shop?? - 56 posts
Places to eat? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x