Garden plants

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by grahaml620 Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi,

Could anybody please give me advice on which outside plants are best for our holiday home, and where is the cheapest to get plants/trees round about Villamartin area.

I would like to put in a palm tree, but don't want anything that will grow too big.

We are also looking for some colour and easy to maintain.

We have already installed irrigation, but are unsure what settings to set the timer too.

Thanks

Like 0      
14 Jun 2007 6:18 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Pity you asked now.

We are moving out later in the year and  hoping to set up a small nursery/ garden service.

If I were you I would consider something like a Butia Yatay as a palm tree which is like a prettier version of a date palm.

Ground cover could be lampranthus or mesembryanthemums which don't need a lot of water yet give plenty of colour.

Citrus would be nice if you have decent irrigation. The scent from the flowers is gorgeous.

Irrigation should be set up according to your plants' requirements.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
14 Jun 2007 8:47 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar
You could try lavender Graham thats supposed to keep the mosi's at bay. We have some gorgeous geraniums which were really cheap but give us loads of colour. We also have 3 trees - supposed to be lemon, lime & orange from the tickets but not sure if they actually are !! We only have a small garden & the irrigation comes on a couple of times a day but only for a short amount of time. They don't seem to need a vast amount of water. Have yucca's & aloe in pots that are connected to the irrigation & also a couple of cactus that aren't.

Like 0      
15 Jun 2007 6:18 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi,

I have all cacti on our solarium in pots.

I have no irrigation system, just rely on the not so frequent rain and water them when we go over roughly every 12 weeks.

I have various types, some flowering, some jst spiky and big! They have all survivied for 3 years now.

Most of mine were "gained" by taking a sharp knife out on our visits to the countryside and slicing a wedge off a wild plant.

Pot up in soil and sharp sand, half & half, with drainage.

Be care with some cactus though, there is a really pretty one, looks like round flat green/reddish leaves, but when you go near it, it shoots out 1,000's of tiny hairs at you!

Perhaps take a visor and crash helmet on your expedition!

Good luck!

This message was last edited by FibbyUK on 6/15/2007.

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
16 Jun 2007 4:13 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
Is it worth investing in an irrigation system for a terrace and if so how much approx. do they cost ? Do owners who visit occasionally and rent out a little think this is worthwhile to keep the terrace looking colourful - thoughts please

Like 0      
16 Jun 2007 4:50 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Personally, I wouldn't bother unless you have plants that require watering frequently, Cacti don't.

Bear in mind that water is the most expensive of your utility bills.................................

Regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
16 Jun 2007 8:13 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
The thing is I'm not keen on cacti and would like the terrace to look a bit cared for and colourful for holiday lets and for me when I go! What plants would you suggest (other than cacti!) What about Geraniums? Does Bougenvillia need loads of water? I'm no gardener as you can tell by the spelling - but I know what I like the look of!

Like 0      
16 Jun 2007 9:56 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi Cioffi 1   The best is proberly  Geraniums for colour and will go on flowering for a long time and need very little water, there are also some members of the cacti group that flower and need very little water, any plants that have a thick fleshy leaves are good as they store the water for long periods, forget about any type of fruit tree as they need water most weeks or more, the secret is use big pots as they do not dry out very fast ,all plants need some water at some stage or they will die ,it depends how often you plan to go there on holiday thats why many people use Cactus as some will go for a year without any water, ask around the area and look at other gardens for advice . Best of luck with your plants.  Regds  Rosi n

Like 0      
16 Jun 2007 10:47 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

So none of you grow Lampranthus and mesembryanthemums?

They are happy in dry conditions and very colourful. I suggested them because the original request was for colour. Othrwise I could have suggested cacti, aloes, agaves etc..

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
17 Jun 2007 1:31 AM by nesbeth Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hello Laury,

Please could you give me the ordinary names of these plants & not the Latin ones, I need some color in the garden but plants that don't need a lot of attention

Thank- you

Wendy x

Like 0      
17 Jun 2007 11:14 AM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar

Thanks for all the info - would Geraniums be OK with a good watering once a week?

Laury - I would also like the non latin names for the plants you mentioned

Sharon C

Like 0      
17 Jun 2007 11:19 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I'm sorry I don't know many common names,

I was thinking of this sort of thing..

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Aizoaceae/Lampranthus_roseus.html

Here is a pic of mine..

My lampranthus

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
17 Jun 2007 12:29 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi Lauryc.   Yes you are right the lampranthus  are great plants for color we have many different colors in our garden here in cornwall  they root really easy we lost one last year as they dont like very much cold/ frost but great colors but only open when the sun is out  , we  also have a different type  that is more woody same great colors but likes some water every few weeks ,  we have never seen the mesembryanthemums in Spain for sale or in gardens in our area  CDS.    It sounds a good idea starting a garden shop in your area lots of new ones opening  all the time, as you have loads of land you would need a large water tank too catch all the rain or you will have a great water bill, we have some info on these systems if you need it just ask.                                                Hi nesbeth  the other name for mesemb-----   is livingstonedaisys    I will  see if I can find the other names for you,  also a great plant is  Ganzia they love the sun and dry conditions and spread to cover an area  and come in all colors /  and different types in Spain, Geraniums can go for many months without water it depends on the type as they grow wild in many ares of Spain with very little water, but if you put them in pots it must be big and put a good layer of wet news papers in the bottom and use soil not this compost that some shops sell as it drys out very fast in hot weather and difficult to wet again,   we hope this info is helpfull .         Regds Rosi n

Like 0      
17 Jun 2007 7:22 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Lauryc

I think Dolores is not far from torre pacheco and b

Balsicus way am I right?

Keep us posted when you open your nursery. Always dreamt of having a lemon tree, but seems I would have to be there full time to look after it?  . Oh well will have to wait. Thank you for all your advice on plants, will be having a look round next visit.

Gina

Like 0      
17 Jun 2007 8:05 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
You've all been v.helpful - Laury thanks for the photograph. I will continue withl my research so I make the right choices

This message was last edited by Cioffi1 on 6/17/2007.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 5:02 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi  lauryc.    Its good that your land has its own  supply, we have seen that recycled water supply cut off to some land due to new roads / or building ,  last winter we saw some farms using electric pumps to supply there crops as a new development that was going up had cut off the channel water supply to a few farms and they were growing salad crops so it was water it or loose it, but you will proberly be ok  but it just shows its not 100% secure. if anybody needs some info about water storage / idea  go to the following.   www.rewater.de           its a good system and all in one but it gives you the idea,    have a good trip.  Rgds Rosi n

Like 0      
21 Jun 2007 11:13 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi All

We are buying on a new development near Jumilla, which is inland in north east Murcia.  We aren't having a garden per se but would like to have some pots of flowers/shrubs/small trees outside, and would welcome suggestions.  The problem is that the climate there can be quite extreme: hot, dry summers (not as humid as the coast) and cold winters, even snow!  I know nothing about gardening, so has anybody any thoughts on what we could have?  We will be living there permanently, eventually.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
21 Jun 2007 4:40 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi suemac  All the plants we talked about a few days ago on this them are ok they will stand the snow but not too much frost and ok for leaving without water for some time ( but put them in the shade if really hot time of year,) trees in pots are a problem if not there most of the time,  after you live there big choice for you .  Hope this helps.   Regds Rosi n

Like 0      
21 Jun 2007 5:10 PM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar

Congratulations on your purchases.  Can I hijack your thread to ask how long succulent cuttings take to root and how soon after planting cuttings can you leave them a few weeks without water?

Thanks, Caroline

Like 0      
21 Jun 2007 5:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

What a great thread. Just what hubby & I have been discussing this recent trip as we have nothing in our Spanish "garden". We did check out out the local garden centre & spoke with a resident neighbour whose garden's beautiful. Everything will need to be in pots at the moment.

Keep the thread going, give me hope for privacy & colour without breaking the bank.

Rosemary

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying a spanish car in Spain - 47 posts
Builders versus owners - what can be done? - 12 posts
penthouse available for long let in costa del sol - 1 posts
Spanish Tax Liability - 4 posts
Hi dinky Lo Crispin - 16 posts
Renting my apartment. - 2 posts
death duties - 15 posts
Fencing - 9 posts
WANTED RENTAL - Benijofar - 7 posts
RENTAL WANTED - BENIJOFAR - 3 posts
Which Form? - 1 posts
"Bumber" newsletter - 4 posts
Contacting the developments - 4 posts
Grupo Urbasa build delays - 3 posts
M&M - 4 posts
The Banana Tree, Quesada, Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Insurance advice - 2 posts
Minor D-I-Y Crisis...Suggestions please! - 8 posts
masa inspection trips - 6 posts
From John K - 4 posts
COMMING OUT ? WANT A WEATHER UP DATE ASK ME - 22 posts
Guess who has just been in my shop?? - 56 posts
Places to eat? - 0 posts
Sun Lawyers - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x