Silly old fools

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Nov 2011 4:22 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

I use Olive and pay 160€ per tonne,you can get Orange for about 75 per Tonne but the Olive burns a lot warmer and longer,about 5 logs from 5pm untill midnight and it is still glowing in the Morning.

That comes from Algorfa.

Justin.

I think its a man/caveman thing,having to tend the fire,i am just the same...cant leave it alone,it fascinates me....suprising really after being in a fire and suffering second degree burns last year.....you would think i would stay well away!

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 8:46 AM by midasgold Star rating in Mijas.. 93 posts Send private message

My Guy here in Mijas charges for OLIVE logs (the best wood for heat)120e per tonne about  2.3 cubic meters.

He also stacks the load in my garage and leaves a bag of kindling at no extra cost.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 9:43 AM by news Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

we have a modern house on the coast, but have installed a log burner, I don't let the wife near it (mans work) although I do let her join me with a glass of wine in front of a fire,(like I could stop her) We have to specify only small logs as it burns too hot. we pay 50 euros a van load and lasts about half the winter. We lived in coin before with an open fire and used approx 2 ton a year was cold in them thar mountains. enjoy your winter

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 10:31 AM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

Where on the coast are you, News?  Would you say your more-modern coastal house is better insulated than the one you had in Coin? (I doubt it!) or is it really just that much warmer on the coast compared to inland?  (It's been a few years since we looked at the area around Coin but I remember it as being quite 'hilly' with the towns and villages nestling in between the hills). My only problem with a wood burner is the fact that I can be very allergic to wood smoke.  Does the wood you burn give off much smoke/ a woody smell? (That's the only way I could think of describing it!)

Mag

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 10:54 AM by jeffsears Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Instead of a log burner we have installed a wood pellet stove.

The pellets cost €4.50 per 15kg bag. A bag lasts 12 to 15 hours depending on the weather if the lounge temperature is set to 22/23C.

Its lovely to wake up to a warm house as the fire is set to light automatically at 08.00 and go off at 10.00 and lighting again at 16.00 until 24.00.

The fire keeps the whole house warm if you leave all the doors open as the  output of the fire is fan assisted.

Back in the UK I have a log burner on my narrowboat. The heat from this is distributed throughout the boat by a ECOFAN. This clever device uses no electricity. It uses the heat from the fire to operate a fan. Without it you tend to sit round the fire to keep warm. With it you tend to go outside to get cool. I would certainly recommend it for a spanish house which are very difficult to keep warm because of the lack of proper insulation.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 1:37 PM by greyray Star rating in Mijas & Iznajar.. 5 posts Send private message

Hi, I have 2 houses, one being in Mijas & the other inland at Iznajar & I can confirm the logs cost much more inland, which must be down to the density of people living in these areas.

In Mijas, I mostly burn olive, which is delivered & stacked at my home for about €115 for a very large trailer full (which will maybe last me for about 3 months if im lucky)

I did make one mistake a number of years back though: a Spanish neighbour of mine spoke to me about some firewood he wanted to sell. Well, my Spanish is not good, but I normally get by OK, but on this occasion - I thought he said €35, but what he actually said was €350 (I thought he meant a few sackfuls).

Anyhow, I had agreed to buy all of the wood that was subsequently delivered to my house. Now, luckily, I do have a fairly large driveway as there was rather alot more wood than I had planned for > it took us over 4 years to burn it all. I have no idea of the weight, but the picture of the wood being delivered at the top of this posting is roughly half of the size we received !

It was a good mistake to have made (financially that is), but I do remember having to stack it all to start with and yes > muscles ached for days. He mentioned again recently that he will have another load soon > but this time I will be more prepared.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 2:10 PM by news Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

the house we live in now is very well insulated (at least through the walls where a hole drilled produced  expanded foam). providing that the door is sealed correctly on the log burner there should be vey little smoke. Coin is a fairly big town and we had a lovely old house in the town, big double doors, centre court yard with mezanine floor, but very cold in the winter. We are now in benalmadena so things here don't get that cold, although the rain can sometimes make it a bit miserable. enjoy your winter fire

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 4:24 PM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

I think you are in the wrong side of Spain come up to the Costa Blanca it is one of the healtiests places in the world to live, and the cost of living is a lot cheaper, and the climate is a lot better, I tried down south first and now I think Alicante is by far nicer.....

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 4:48 PM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

But where on the Costa Blanca are you ob123?  We stayed in Almoradi, a little inland from the coast, from November to beginning of April during the winter of 2009/10 and we were fffffffreezing for several weeks over the coldest period.  However, this was probably because we stayed in a Spanish villa (no insulation) with one of those open-plan loung/diner/kitchen affairs including stairs that create the perfect environment for all the heat to escape upwards!

Mag

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 7:40 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Cold

Flick switch on air con 5 mins warm

Cold

Flick switch on air con 5 mins warm

You get the idea

Rod

Sorry missed important step out Phone LOG man tell him to leave it this YEAR

This message was last edited by rod on 19/11/2011.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 8:30 PM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

We are down near Cabroig beach I was swimming all last Week....superb place to live

Like 0      
20 Nov 2011 6:52 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Swimming last week you must be a polar bear

Or did you cheat and use a heated swimming pool?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
20 Nov 2011 7:30 PM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

No I am not jocking, did you know that the Tempreature of the water only drops a few degrees in the winter Caobroig  is a stunning beach it was 22C, there was more people as well in the water, you still get 28 Oranges for €2.50 and a lot of older people who suffer from different pains in there body in Torreivieja all the pain goes with the salt in the air, they say it is the healtiest place in the world to live..... have I you convinced come up to Paradise.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2011 9:19 PM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

Yes, ob123, it really is a beautiful beach.  We spent several days out there when we stayed in Almoradi.  I just couldn't stop taking photographs!

Mag

Like 0      
22 Nov 2011 7:30 PM by Victoria Twead Star rating in Andalucia. 89 posts Send private message

Victoria Twead´s avatar

Happiness is...loadsa logs...

Victoria  :)

Chicken wrangler and NYT bestselling author of 'Chickens, Mules & Two Old Fools' and the Old Fools series. 

Like 0      
22 Nov 2011 8:27 PM by Acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Like 0      
22 Nov 2011 10:57 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Personally I prefer this picture

Rod

Like 0      
23 Nov 2011 9:52 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Torrevieja is a healthy place to live, it has a micro climate and normally great weather.   In Winter you need to have your shutters open to catch as much of the sun as you can to warm up the house.  When the sun goes down then it quickly becomes an igloo, no insulation and very draughty.  I can heat up the lounge quickly but then when I want to eat I have to run the gauntlet of the stairwell to reach the kitchen at back of house.  Have yet to find a heating system to cope with this ice trap as I live in a three storey house.

On a weak moment I booked a 3 week trip out in January, I'm even finding it cold here in UK.  Think I'll sit surrounded by my blankets and make the foolish man who suggested the trip do all the ice expeditions for food and drink.  Mustn't eat or drink too much though as the cloakroom is out there too. 

Log burners sound great but don't think it will solve my problem.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Oil-fired community boilers - 1 posts
Wanted reliable, conscientious, friendly cleaner and key holder for 4 privately owned apartments in Guardamar Del Segura. - 0 posts
Modelo 210 help please - rental income and nuda propriedad - 4 posts
Any air travel sleuths here? - 5 posts
Flights - Riga to Malaga ? - 4 posts
Elec Meter/Iberdrola/Need Reconnected! - La Manga - 4 posts
Unable to reply on a thread - 4 posts
We will Remember them - 0 posts
Not all bad news but there again it is Spain - 5 posts
Old Spanish 3-pin socket - 4 posts
COMMUNITY OF OWNERS LAW IN SPAIN - 6 posts
Van going to England - 0 posts
Storage - 2 posts
Any good tips for getting property back to UK from El Raso, Guardamar? - 4 posts
looking for a bar/resteraunt with food to hire for an awards night in benidorm - 0 posts
Scraping English car in Alicante - 7 posts
tenants rights re bank repossession - 4 posts
This will warm the cockles of your heart - yum! - 13 posts
--CAR WANTED-- - 0 posts
Jet 2 - 3 posts
AutoCaravans - 5 posts
Wanted reliable cleaner and key holder needed for 4 privately owned apartments in Guardamar Del Segura - 5 posts
TechnoApe - 10 posts
Taking the builder to court. - 4 posts
English speaking dentists Malaga or Granada area. - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 38

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x